90 day reporting-been gone for 10 yrs

I have just returned to live in Chiang Mai with my family after a 10 yr absence (in the States). I am here on a non-immigration O multiple entry, have to step out every 90 days. If I step across the border and return a day later every 88 days, do I have to do the 90 police reporting? I know this has been a long standing source of confusion and I apologize if already addressed.

You do not need to step out for a night to get a new 90 day entry from your visa. You can cross the border then turn around and come right back.

You will not need to do a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country since you will never stay longer than 90 days.

What happened to all that supposed checking for people doing incessant back-to-backs?

Gone by the wayside?

Yeah this is exactly what that new law was meant to prevent

I would think after a few stamps he will be denied

BTW: Any reason you do not want to just convert to a proper visa extension since you said you

moved back with your family? Better I think than being outed eventually & risking worse

You can step across the border and turn around and come right back. No need to be out long. I have done it for many years, usually at the Nong Khai border. From leaving my hotel in Nong Khai until I returned with a new entry stamp, on average took about 90 minutes.

After many years of this I just got tired of it, so now I have a 5 year Elite visa.

What happened to all that supposed checking for people doing incessant back-to-backs?

Gone by the wayside?

BTW: Any reason you do not want to just convert to a proper visa extension since you said you

moved back with your family? Better I think than being outed eventually & risking worse

That is only for visa exempt entries and does not apply it a person has a valid visa for entry.

Absolutely no restrictions on dong out and back entries if you have a valid visa to do it.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the responses. Glad to hear others saw it the same way I did.

One last question and my immigration fears are allayed. When step across the border on a non-imm O visa and are to step back across, do I have to show the 400,000 in a Thai bank at that time? Again, 10yrs away and the rules seemed to have changed more than a bit. Thanks in advance!

Gone by the wayside?

I must be missing something. The OP is using a non-O multi-entry visa exactly the way it was intended for the purpose for which it was intended, that is, leaving every 90 days or less to obtain another 90-day permission to stay upon re-entry. The OP is not using visa exempt entries. I don't see where the OP is doing anything wrong, or that what he is doing could be considered back-to-back. How else would one use a non-O multi-entry visa?

You can step across the border and turn around and come right back. No need to be out long. I have done it for many years, usually at the Nong Khai border. From leaving my hotel in Nong Khai until I returned with a new entry stamp, on average took about 90 minutes.

After many years of this I just got tired of it, so now I have a 5 year Elite visa.

We are testing the waters before making a more permanent home here. Should things go well, the 5yr Elite was my next step. Would have liked to have returned after the elections, both Thai and US, but circumstances beyond my control (you married guys know what I mean!) Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the responses. Glad to hear others saw it the same way I did.

One last question and my immigration fears are allayed. When step across the border on a non-imm O visa and are to step back across, do I have to show the 400,000 in a Thai bank at that time? Again, 10yrs away and the rules seemed to have changed more than a bit. Thanks in advance!

No need to show anything but your passport and new arrival card when you enter the country.

Nothing has changed in your case.

We are testing the waters before making a more permanent home here. Should things go well, the 5yr Elite was my next step. Would have liked to have returned after the elections, both Thai and US, but circumstances beyond my control (you married guys know what I mean!) Thanks for the response.

No need for the elite visa if you are married to a Thai. Just put 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or prove 40k baht income and apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries your visa allows.

Gone by the wayside?

That is only for visa exempt entries and does not apply it a person has a valid visa for entry.

Absolutely no restrictions on dong out and back entries if you have a valid visa to do it.

Yes understood about how a multi entry works but...as per OP he stated

"I have just returned to live in Chiang Mai with my family"

As such it is not the visa for living but for someone who comes here a few times per year

But: I also see his new post in which he said...

"We are testing the waters before making a more permanent home here."

So understandable in that situation I guess....;)

Gone by the wayside?

Yes understood about how a multi entry works but...as per OP he stated

"I have just returned to live in Chiang Mai with my family"

As such it is not the visa for living but for someone who comes here a few times per year

But: I also see his new post in which he said...

"We are testing the waters before making a more permanent home here."

So understandable in that situation I guess....;)

I am using multi-entry O visas for decades. I live in Thailand but have usually some projects in other Asian countries, so a lot of travel per months. For several reason therefore extensions make no sense to me and as a second effect I avoid all the issues with immigration.