Video: Why a green light spells danger

webfact

Video: Why a green light spells danger

s4.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- A horrific accident caught on Chiang Mai CCTV should serve as a warning to all road users - be especially careful when going through a green light in Thailand.

The 18 second video shows a high speed collision between a black car and a motorcycle with one rider. The car clearly goes through a red light - another vehicle can be seen waiting at the light, reported Daily News.

At just that moment a motorbike goes through a green light right into the path of the car. The rider is thrown into the air and lands in a heap on the tarmac.

The accident happened at the Lot Don Kaew intersection in the northern province on Tuesday and the footage was posted on the Facebook page of "Thanathip Sringam".

The injured motorcyclist died later of his injuries.

Online comment revolved around the assumed guilt of the car driver along with warnings from netizens to always look left and right at green lights and make no assumptions of safety.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-28

WARNING! Some viewers may find this footage distressing

driving in Thailand reminds me of an old joke. As a kid i thought this joke was funny because it seemed so ridiculous. Now, it is not so funny as it is reality everyday!

A (insert country of choice) guy picks up a friend from the airport. The friend is scared witless as the guy keeps blasting through red lights. "its all right, my brother and i do it all the time". Suddenly the car comes to a screaming halt, when the smoke clears the friend asks "why did you stop?!" The guy replies "Are you crazy! it was a green light so my brother might have been coming the other way through the red light!"

Edited by taichiplanet

RIP to the motorcyclist.

Well, the car driver will not be able to claim the typical "my brakes failed" because the video clearly shows him slowing to almost a stop after hitting the motorcycle.

The car driver no doubt felt it's a big, low traffic intersection so he/she would just continue on. I see drivers running green lights at high and low traffic intersections all the time here in and around Bangkok...and I mean continuing on through even after a 3 second yellow light has just changed to red. Then you have some lights that just go from green to red with no interim yellow light and the light has been red for several seconds with vehicles still speeding through. Some people just can't stand to wait....have little-to-no fear of traffic police because the traffic police are somewhere else setting up checkpoints under shade trees to collect donations for the non-issue of traffic tickets.

I don't know what the Thai report says but it's a pity the TV story has no information if the driver stopped, was located, is being traced, breathalyzed etc.

Yes the more interesting news would have been about the car driver. Not that the Thais would learn anything from it.

I don't know what the Thai report says but it's a pity the TV story has no information if the driver stopped, was located, is being traced, breathalyzed etc.

Please! Do you really expect a professional performance from these guys? They paid good money to wear the police uniform.

Maybe, just maybe, the motorbike went through a red light !!

Yes, the other car in the video is stopped but he is waiting to turn right. Its possible that the car went through a green light, albeit in the wrong lane...

I think you may have a point, the second motorbike stopped.

Still have to agree one of them probably ran a red.

So typical of Thailand. Every time when I am at a intersection, after the light goes green, I always wait a few extra second to avoid this kind of incident from happening. If it's not a car speeding through then it's a motorcycle that does that.

Will they ever learn? Compensation and prison penalty have to be much higher to deter it, but will they ever......

Yes, the other car in the video is stopped but he is waiting to turn right. Its possible that the car went through a green light, albeit in the wrong lane...

My thoughts exactly, as someone else pointed out, one of them went through a red light but it is not as obvious as many people are making it out to be. However, one could argue that as the car was in the lane which was clearly marked for right turn only, that he actually did run a red light, not a clear cut case but the whole episode is an example of the daily flouting of any rules and regulations in Thailand.

The other motorbike arrived just after the impact and slowed because of it, is how i see it.

Can the driver be charged with murder as they deliberately drove through the red light?

Manslaughter perhaps, as murder shows premeditated intent, but yet, I agree, this driver should spend a long time behind bars and never to drive again. RIP the poor rider, probably on his/her way home...

The second motorbike stopped in the moment just when the accident happened right in front of him - may be because of this.

It's the same old story. No police enforcement or punishment. It's a joke. I live in Maha Sarakham, most Thai driver here flaunts the traffic light rules. Selfless uneducated morons. Thai drivers thinking: "What might not be coming over the brow of the hill"

Take a closer look at the video, you can see the motorcycle has the green light.

28491387592_063dfef582_o.jpg

Centuries upon centuries of manning nothing but buffalo and carts in the fields, and elephants in the jungle, to suddenly, in one generation for the most part, be in control of modern day vehicles on busy roads.

The 21st Century has simply come too quickly for these people. :(

If you look carefully at the movie, you will see that the motorbike driver had a green light.

Not sure about the Thai traffic codes, but in my country the traffic rules says that you can enter a crossing with green light AFTER assuring yourself that the passage of the crossing is safe.

I am a member of the FaceBook group "Bad driving in Thailand" and the accidents you see published in that group on a daily base are a cumulation of sheer ignorance to the rules and a pathetic way of driving.

As long as Thailand does not punish in an adequate way the drivers who chose to ignore the traffic rules;

As long as Thailand has not a working Police force who adhere to the traffic rules without corruption;

As long as Thailand has not a "real" driving test with everybody who wants to drive a vehicle is forced to follow a course at an agreed learning center;

Thailand will remain a spot on the world where driving is the most dangerous.

RIP to the motorbike driver.

Try the traffic lights in Buriram. You are presented with a green arrow but the opposing traffic also has a green.

Very incompetent and certainly dangerous.

I certainly look everywhere when going through any intersection lights or not. Other drivers cannot be trusted.

The government could do a much better job of educating drivers. TV and radio should have public service announcements about collisions and why they happened. They should broadcast statistics about deaths and injuries. Note I didn't use the word "accidents" above. Most police and transportation agencies stop calling collisions "accidents" a while back.

As a teenager in the U.S., I remember CBS broadcadting "The National Drivers Test." Something like that would go a long way toward increasing knowledge of traffic regulations and the logic behind them.

That is why only two other countries, which happen to currently have civil wars - Somalia and Libya, have high road death rates than Thailand.

I'm curious to know who the driver's parents are. But then if the driver or they have "status" I have little confidence that we will hear much more about this.

I just hope I'm wrong.

If you look carefully at the movie, you will see that the motorbike driver had a green light.

Not sure about the Thai traffic codes, but in my country the traffic rules says that you can enter a crossing with green light AFTER assuring yourself that the passage of the crossing is safe.

I am a member of the FaceBook group "Bad driving in Thailand" and the accidents you see published in that group on a daily base are a cumulation of sheer ignorance to the rules and a pathetic way of driving.

As long as Thailand does not punish in an adequate way the drivers who chose to ignore the traffic rules;

As long as Thailand has not a working Police force who adhere to the traffic rules without corruption;

As long as Thailand has not a "real" driving test with everybody who wants to drive a vehicle is forced to follow a course at an agreed learning center;

Thailand will remain a spot on the world where driving is the most dangerous.

RIP to the motorbike driver.

"sheer ignorance to the rules"

what do you expect, no education about the rules.

In my country you need a certain number of hours in the classroom,

a certain number of hours driving with a driving instructor

before you are accepted for the final written exam and driving test.

Many have to repeat one or more times

The video shows that the bike had a green light. The other guy stopped because of the accident, not a red light.

The video shows that the bike had a green light. The other guy stopped because of the accident, not a red light.

Maybe, just maybe, you are right.. Didn't notice the green light in the video...

Car driver is a tool !!

RIP scooter boy