Thai crossword ace to compete in World Scrabble Championships next month

Thai crossword ace to compete in World Scrabble Championships next month

post-245411-0-35516500-1469805169_thumb.

Scrabble World Number two Komol Panyasophonlert of Thailand has confirmed that he will be taking part in the MSI World Scrabble Championships in Lille, France, after all.

Bangkokian Komol’s change of heart means that almost all of the top ten players in the world according to the MSI rankings will be vying for the crown of world’s best player.

“This tournament is sure to be awesome so I really want to be there” he said.

So will he beat world’s best player Nigel Richards of New Zealand to finally win an international event?

An upbeat Komol who is a computer programmer replied: “Yes, I will! At least I hope so”.

Komol who is rated 3250 on the Mindsportsinternational rankings, well ahead of the third, played Nigel (ranked 3334) in the final in Prague in 2013 when he narrowly lost despite leading 2-1.

That year he also finished second to his arch nemesis in the US Nationals and the King’s Cup in Bangkok. So another great tussle is bound to be on the cards in the Lille event that begins on August 30th.

Komol, who appeared in the English newspaper the Daily Mail recently where he was quoted as saying that he studied six hours a day. And the reporter trumpeted erroneously that he could not speak English.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/thai-crossword-ace-compete-world-scrabble-championships-next-month/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-07-29