Do EXPATS have a future in Thailand 20 years from now?

JJGreen

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Inflation and the cost of living expenditure could increase 5 fold or even more as it has done in the last 20 years.

Where do you get that prices have increased 5 fold in the last 20 years???? 

1 hour ago, Plutojames88 said:

...Something is happening ..so many people are sensing Danger here now.

The attitude to westerners (has ) and is ..changing ...no it's not imagined.

(strange ....... now I can quote and reply correctly)

It isn't just western foreigners that are being treated badly. IN CM the army are ruthlessly chasing Burmese and removing them from the area, something most of you probably haven't noticed.

1 minute ago, MissAndry said:
2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

this forum is completely broken now, the only way I can reply to this post is in a box supposedly quoting Guzzi, which I have in no way done. It's unbelievable the the implementation and upgrad of this forum appears to be handled by incompetent fools. If I had employed you, you would have already been looking for new jobs.

No worries in 20 years it'll be fixed. :lol:

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

I think there will be a natural cull of Brits as a result of exchange rates, 40 is probably the lowest it will go against GBP but that's far enough to rule out a fair proportion of existing expats. The question is whether others will follow in their steps? Unlikely for a while I would guess, not until some of the rhetoric stops and the politics stabilises.

QK ,  OK ,    @  40  i  can maintain my   lifestyle here . thx .

Under  40 bht  OMB .

Edited by elliss

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well OP just my take on the previous 15 years dunno about another 20 who does :-

What's the future for expats here?..........Ans.  Good guys in bad guys out.  :lol:

Thailand isn't cheap to live and visas can be a hassle.....Ans.    Disagree with both,  l am better of here than UK depends where you live and your circumstances.

There is increasing xenophobia such as the sim card tracking. ..Ans.  Lots of silly things are suggested by people, they have to be seen that they are about. :coffee1:

Increasing unexplained deaths and scams against foreigners.  Ans.  Oh yeah everyone knows that only happens in Thailand.  :lol:

Things here going to be getting increasingly betterms in 20 years time?  What's betterms.?

Will visas be made.easier and land ownership for retirees allowed.  Ans.. No problem with visas for most as said....No opinion on land ownership myself,  you can lease land up to 30 years if you want as a retiree. 

Asia has a burgeoning middle class with changed attitudes and more worldliness so where does the humble expat farang fit in?.......Ans.   Don't understand the question.  :blink:

My biggest concerns are visa related and climate change related..  Ans.  Thinking on that myself they wouldn't be my concerns at all.  :)

Visa conditions and requirements  can easily change in any country.

As to climate change... it is happening and with that bkk will have increased flooding and the heat and humidity rise to give a sense of far greater temperatures. 35 degrees feels like 44 degrees.:facepalm:

Those things can make life more unpleasant .:P

Then other points i mention are general conversation starters 

:)

But go where?  If you listen to the media, the UK is in a second, post empire melt down.  The United States is overrun with illegal immigrants, rogue, trigger happy police officers, gun toting red necks all over the place and racist blacks looking for some pay back. And OMG, the MUSLIMS!  :crazy:

Thailand is still way behind the rest of the "civilised world" mentioned above, so in reality, you're better off here.  Was that the reason behind coming here in the first place?

There's always up and coming Cambodia, which is said to be 20 years behind Thailand.  Might as well go grab a piece of dirt road heaven before it's too late. 

Edited by 55Jay

3 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Only once a year? I try to get out once a month!

How ling each month?

If you go for 5 days a month, that's about the same as two minths a year, just arranged differently.

Since the upgrade on TV, I'm unable to edit, e.g., I'm unable to backspace above to correct 'minths' to 'months', but only on my 'phone!!

sExpats will always have a future here. 

With the new Sim tracking making it easier to live and work here so no one will get lost. 

In addition to Thailand being a new Hub every week there is no shortage of work here, zero unemployment. 

If they continue the environmental degradation of the past 20 years into the next 20 years, will there be a future for anybody? The rate of destruction is alarming and there is no sign it will slow down. The problem is 20 years ago there was always that forest on the other side of the mountain so things were okay. 

Now everything has been stripped and when they wipe out the little that is left it is more pronounced. It won't really matter if there are any ex pats around in 20 years. We can argue about how much we contribute but when it stops raining reliably and then the flooding intensifies as it is doing the rice crops will begin to fail.

They can live without tourism and ex pats no problem, but can they live with out consistent rice yields?  They could turn things around very quickly if there was the will to do so, but so far there is very little being done to suggest a different approach is anywhere on the near horizon. 

If the current regime of stripping trees and trashing beaches continues I can't imagine what things will be like in 20 years. 

If they lose the foreign money coming in no problem, but this will be compounded when they lose the natural environment that allows for subsistence. 

Didn't all the crap start once the idiot blew up the backpack on Erawan? Before that, there weren't any visa changes or tightenings on the rules. 

The uncertainty of what is going to happen is really putting a damper on a lot of things in our every day life. I am not thinking about 20 years from now, but tomorrow. 

Should I buy a car, should I buy a condo, renovate the current one... the list goes on. 

It's hard to make it your home if you can get thrown out in a blink of an eye without doing anything wrong. 

I have been here 10 years but just like the OP I don't feel 'welcome' anymore. 

Edited by PomRakBKK

It's impossible to predict how Thailand will change in develop in the future, and what the impact of that will be on people who want to spend time here, retirees, digital nomads, pleasure seekers, travellers, etc. 

The bureaucracy appears to be increasing and the authorities are more strict with people who move in and out of the country, even the amount of time that you need to attend the language school has increased. I agree that visas can be a hassle, perhaps less so for a retired person who does not have to undertake visa runs. It is not as cheap to live here, especially if you are a Brit hit by a post-Brexit slump in Sterling. It's tough for many Thais too.

I'm not someone who wishes to stay here long term and I plan to retire in my home country or one with a similar culture to my own. So I work around the issues above and try to get the best from this experience - using visa runs to see other countries. As a non-Thai I feel pretty welcome here and have had good experiences on the whole. My favourite place was the Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai areas, I always felt safe in these areas. A place like Pattaya or even Bangkok has all the issues that bigger cities have and a traveller has to be a great deal more guarded in these areas.

As much as I have enjoyed the experience I will be in Europe by October. I may return to Thailand in the future but I would never settle here. As a foreigner, you have less (no) rights and are more vulnerable as you get older. Good luck to anyone who retires here but it is simply not for me.   

Post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

28 minutes ago, A Lurker said:

OP lost me at " Thailand isn't cheap to live".

I've never understood how people can say that.

This is very dependent upon how you live and has been discussed a million times already. Anything more than a Thai style way of living and Thailand becomes expensive very quickly.

Some decisions in life require you to look ahead in time, such as buying a house, getting married and having kids. The perspective and scope for a 60 year old retiree with pension is completely different than a 28 year English teacher who fell in love with a Thai girl. It will be very difficult for the 28 year old to get settled here.

after living here in Pattaya for the last 10 years ,to be honest i have seen no change whatsoever against me , people are just as friendly as they always were and in 20 years i will be looking at the lid anyway .,

Edited by i claudius

Maybe partly xenophobia, but I see that the Thai's are noticing the change in peoples behaviour too - a lack of physical security (the kind of place where you can leave your door unlocked without any concern), the changes in road rage (I hadn't seen any at all until a few years ago) etc.

It's not only us feeling the effects.  I still prefer it to 'home', but less so as time passes.  It's just that I can't think of a place I'd rather be without having to uproot my best friends/gf and the need to take care of her aging family etc.  But then I don't want to live behind a wall either - not the type to keep people out or to keep you in.

I guess in times when money is too tight to mention then it's no drama if you don't really use money on a daily basis (if at all), but now Thailand has one upmanship with 'things' for status, it's yet another divide, and the stressed out hardworking or the young yahoo's are experiencing something that is commonplace in many areas west of here.

The right question would be to ask if the World has a future 20 years from now. We just don't know what could happen so why even speculate. 

Edited by balo

20 years far to long to be worrying about. Think ahead 6 months max who knows you might take a fall from a balcony or be killed by a night bus or be shot in 7/11. In 20 years I don't expect to be here my ashes will be so I suppose thats my contribution to global warming. 20 years there might not be any humans left alive.

8 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

PS (to the above): For the most part, I still think Thailand is fairly safe, if you factor out the seamy side of Pattaya (which doesn't affect me). But of late, I'm getting a nagging sense of disquiet in the back reaches of my mind about my personal safety. It's not up front, just sitting in the shadows, lurking, and I can't dismiss it. I haven't got to the stage where I'm getting twitchy, but nevertheless, this thought now exists where it didn't 5 years ago. I sincerely hope that in 20 years time this marginal snippet of alarm hasn't manifested into something more real.

Albeit not directly about Thailand, you'll recognise your state of mind in the interview that the philosopher Sygmunt Bauman recently gave on AlJazeera about the changing state of mind of people and their changing interaction and engagement.
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/talktojazeera/2016/07/zygmunt-bauman-world-crisis-humanity-160722085342260.html 

Edited by KKr