Ref Watch 2016/2017

Chicog

38 minutes ago, Chicog said:

And you and Bredders will be the only ones in it, still moaning because the video refs got it wrong.

:smile:

Unlike you, I'm not stuck in the 50's and willing to give technology a try to see if it can reduce the amount of errors (without spoiling the game). If it doesn't work in the trial, I haven't got a problem with shelving the idea and reverting back to the status quo.

I think you misunderstand my view on video refs. I'm not for it, or against it. How can I be if it hasn't been tried yet. I just want it to be trialled and see what the outcome is. I'm frankly amazed that a lot of the nay sayers of technology, particularly expats, actually benefit from it and get to watch football live wherever we are in the world. Would you prefer to go back to the days of only seeing it on MOTD Saturday nights.

46 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Unlike you, I'm not stuck in the 50's and willing to give technology a try to see if it can reduce the amount of errors (without spoiling the game). If it doesn't work in the trial, I haven't got a problem with shelving the idea and reverting back to the status quo.

I think you misunderstand my view on video refs. I'm not for it, or against it. How can I be if it hasn't been tried yet. I just want it to be trialled and see what the outcome is. I'm frankly amazed that a lot of the nay sayers of technology, particularly expats, actually benefit from it and get to watch football live wherever we are in the world. Would you prefer to go back to the days of only seeing it on MOTD Saturday nights.

Can we say "non sequitur"?

:blink:

7 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^Always wondered why anybody's first reaction on scoring a goal was to take off their shirt. Strange.

summat to swing around your head in celebration isn't it? like a scarf or a flag. i've always quite liked it. 

I seem to remember Henry getting booked because he lifted his shirt (didn't take it off) to show a message saying "Happy Birthday Grandma" or the likes.

FIFA ban slogans.

Mind you, the ar$eholes have got my back up today - they're trying to ban poppies on the England and Scotland shirts next week.

I hope they have the balls to tell them to shove it up their jacksies.

In the meantime, if you want to add to my message of complaint:

http://www.fifa.com/contact-FIFA.html

• Like 2

sigh. here we go then.

i don't think that footballers should wear poppies. or at least they shouldn't be forced to. nor should any public figure. it should be a totally personal choice as to whether you decide to wear one or not. forcing people to wear them is literally the opposite reason for the poppy being worn in the first place and what it was intended to represent.

and as for the FIFA ban, i understand it. FIFA bans teams from displaying political logos or symbols. and just because the poppy isn't considered a political symbol by many british people, that doesn't mean it isn't considered one by other nations and people. 

Might as well throw in my two setang....

Wearing the poppy is, was and always will be nothing more than a sign of respect to our war dead.  Its not political.  

The FA should allow the wearing of the poppy as a personal choice and i personally would be extremely disappointed not to see every player displaying it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Curious as to when football clubs/national teams started wearing the poppy on their shirt...recent times?

yeah, definitely pretty recent. last ten years at most i think. i hate this time of year, britain goes poppy fascism crazy again and this year it's magnified times ten because of bloody brexit.

1 hour ago, StevieH said:

yeah, definitely pretty recent. last ten years at most i think. i hate this time of year, britain goes poppy fascism crazy again and this year it's magnified times ten because of bloody brexit.

I think you've got no idea what the poppy represents and what the money raised by it goes on.

I would suggest you watch this, and be just a little more grateful for what you have been given and at what cost.

And buy a ****ing poppy you tight bastard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b081zh6d

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StevieH said:

sigh. here we go then.

i don't think that footballers should wear poppies. or at least they shouldn't be forced to. nor should any public figure. it should be a totally personal choice as to whether you decide to wear one or not. forcing people to wear them is literally the opposite reason for the poppy being worn in the first place and what it was intended to represent.

and as for the FIFA ban, i understand it. FIFA bans teams from displaying political logos or symbols. and just because the poppy isn't considered a political symbol by many british people, that doesn't mean it isn't considered one by other nations and people. 

Thus spake the forum fenian.

10 hours ago, StevieH said:

8 hours ago, Chicog said:

I think you've got no idea what the poppy represents and what the money raised by it goes on.

I would suggest you watch this, and be just a little more grateful for what you have been given and at what cost.

And buy a ****ing poppy you tight bastard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b081zh6d

Scouse fans are not very well known for buying  owt  :sad:

I think most on here fully understand the poppy and are fully behind it. But maybe some of us (ok only me?) see FIFAs ruling as sensible. You could argue that if both England and Scotland agree to have it on the shirt then that's ok, but others (Irish) see the poppy as political. Barca and their city rivals might agree its ok to have catalan logo on their shirts, but not ok with others (non-catalans). Best to leave the poppy off the shirt in my opinion - but have lots of official poppysellers at the ground.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I think most on here fully understand the poppy and are fully behind it. But maybe some of us (ok only me?) see FIFAs ruling as sensible. You could argue that if both England and Scotland agree to have it on the shirt then that's ok, but others (Irish) see the poppy as political. Barca and their city rivals might agree its ok to have catalan logo on their shirts, but not ok with others (non-catalans). Best to leave the poppy off the shirt in my opinion - but have lots of official poppysellers at the ground.

Are you seriously comparing the Poppy with a Catalan logo?

It's not a political symbol just because some thieving swiss nincompoop (or you) thinks it is.

(It also commemorates the 49,400 Irish troops that died in WW1 alone).

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

"Are you seriously comparing the Poppy with a Catalan logo?"

No.

Fifa's rule bans political, religious or commercial. I personally don't consider the poppy either of those, but FIFA clearly does, some in Ireland clearly do.

Does Fifa consider the catalan 'logo' is political, religious or commercial. I believe they do, I could be wrong.

Well at last some spine.

England players will wear poppies when they play Scotland on Remembrance Sunday next week despite Fifa regulations banning them from doing so, said the chairman of the Football AssociationGreg Clarke.

Mr Clarke told ITV that there are plans in place for the England players to wear poppies, with the 2018 World Cup qualifier due to take place on Armistice Day next Friday.

“My personal opinion, and actually the same opinion I hold as the chair of the FA, is that of course we should wear poppies,” Mr Clarke told ITV. "We’re commemorating millions of people who gave their lives in wars over the last 100 years and they deserve that, and the people who lost relatives deserve that, and that’s our plan.

2010 was the first time all Premier League clubs printed poppies on their teams’ shirts to mark Remembrance Sunday. Only since then has it become expected that football players should pay their respects.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/01/wearing-poppy-meaningful-voluntary-footballers

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

2010 was the first time all Premier League clubs printed poppies on their teams’ shirts to mark Remembrance Sunday. Only since then has it become expected that football players should pay their respects.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/01/wearing-poppy-meaningful-voluntary-footballers

So you quote this left wing toilet paper that sneeringly compares it to a minutes silence for Thatcher?

F F S

On 11/2/2016 at 11:24 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

But maybe some of us (ok only me?) see FIFAs ruling as sensible.

10 hours ago, carmine said:

FIFA have merely demonstrated they don't understand what the poppy signifies.  Clearly, neither do you.

Its not political in any way. Its  respect for soldiers that fought and died for our freedom.  It has nothing to do with politics. FIFA's ruling is cretinous and is rightfully being ignored.  Its a pathetic ruling made by a bunch of bigoted half wits.

Carmine

All normal sensible folk will agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts on this matter,any true Brit takes pride in what was achieved by our forefathers,as for those that do not well fark them.

The playing of the last post on Remembrance day in salute of all those who gave their lives for our freedom is one of the most poignant and wonderful moments,and long may it continue :thumbsup: