Parcel from UK arrived in Thailand but not delivered to home what to do?

davejonesbkk

So my father sent a parcel to me via Royal Mail delivery about 10 days ago, I dont know what service he used exactly but I told him to make sure it was recorded.

Anyway he just told me today via whatsapp that apparently it arrived in Thailand on the 22nd and two attempts were made to deliver it to my home on the 25th and 26th, we were home all day on the 25th but out some of the 26th, no info on the time they tried. Apparently it is now back at the office and will be sent back if its not picked up, he says there are no other details on where exactly it is being held though. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

They should have left you a notice but if not, you can check at your local sorting station. Ask a friend or neighbor where this is for your area. If you don't have anyone to help, use Google translate on your phone and ask at your nearest post office, they'll be able to write the address, just show a taxi driver. 

if your bringing none paid tax or import items it will end up in chaeng wattana post office..if its medical, it will end up in bang su...

1. the tax clerk will ask you open the box and whats inside...depends on who your clerk is, they will give you clue to pay cash...put between the envelope...better kiss some ass because there will be bunch of people looking at you 

2. if clerk tell you to move on to fda section/office and check with them, your assed out...they will check on the file if what your bringing is allowed..if they reject, your stuff are taken away. if they allow and tell you to pay tax, go back to clerk and pay a fine..

3. stuff taken away cannot be sent back, they will be auctioned to the government officers ?????

i saw so many farangs try to bring vitamins or other stuff by listening to thai girl friend and get their stuff taken away...be smart and safe ???

he says there are no other details on where exactly it is being held though. 

From the OP it sounds indeed only like unsuccessful delivery.

So: you have an address, you have a zipcode (some 10xxx for Bangkok).

Every zipcode has an assigned post office, your post office.

Go there with an ID and ask for the whereabouts.

If you are willing to tell your zip code I could find the office.

Maybe I find a list of all post offices ...

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You have an address, you have a zipcode (some 10xxx for Bangkok).

Every zipcode has an assigned post office, your post office.

Go there with an ID and ask for the whereabouts.

If you are willing to tell your zip code I could find the office.

Maybe I find a list of all post offices ...

Here http://www.donslifeinthailand.com/files/Bangkok_Thailand_Post_Offices_full_list.pdf

Edited by chickenslegs
Wrong attachment

The OP's father obviously has the tracking number if he is able to tell the OP the current situation. The OP needs to get that number before going to the local post office and picking it up. Once UK Post Office items have been received and entered into the Thai postal system, they are trackable locally on http://track.thailandpost.co.th/tracking/default.aspx?lang=en 

It will also tell the OP the name of the post office attempting derlivery/holding the package.

Edited by NanLaew

This is very common, you need to be VERY specific with the address when it's in the English language.

I have packages sent to me nearly every week and they always arrive without a problem. I use 'Royal mail international signed for' which allows packages of up to 2 KG for about 22 pounds in postage.

I know a guy who lives in the same street as me who has never received his mail - it turns out he was using an address which was very different to what I use...

The package will be sitting in the local delivery office. There can be many post offices which service the same 'zip code' which can be the same for a large area, it all depends on where you are.

If you go to the correct post office the package will be sitting there waiting for you.

Also there is one discrepancy about the dates - it takes 6 days for a package to arrive in Thailand unless you use EMS.

the state of humanity.

Go to your local post office with the tracking number.

Most Thai post offices are understaffed, and deliver most things on motorbike. So if your package does not fit, guess what?

IT'S AT THE LOCAL POST OFFICE.

Call the helpline 1545 or maybe that's the extension - the number is on the website.

They have English operators and they will tell you where your parcel is .. They will claim they visited your house twice and carded it, but they probably have the wrong address. Then go with your tracking number and ID and collect it.

I dont know know what other posters are saying about it being opened and .. ?? Its just the postman hasn't got a decent command of written English, doesn't know the western customers live or he's just plain lazy.

1 hour ago, davejonesbkk said:

OK thanks guys, Im in Samutprakkan (10540 I think) so going to call the local PO here today. Cant understand why they wouldn't leave a note though!

1 hour ago, davejonesbkk said:

OK thanks guys, Im in Samutprakkan (10540 I think) so going to call the local PO here today. Cant understand why they wouldn't leave a note though!

It's common not to leave a note, that is the down side.

However it is also common for our mail to be delivered to my wife's mother in a different village if we are not at home as the delivery person knows everyone in the villages, the upside of the postal system. 

Also so going to the office will get better (more accurate) results than calling them.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

6 minutes ago, xvend said:

:cheesy:

??

is that from personal experience ?

i had a parcel from Malaysia that didn't arrive, similar experience to the OP - they were quite helpful in getting it to me. The guys English was quite good.

so unless you have any contribution further than an animated avatar .. Jog on.

You can track it to exactly where it is presently. Same happened myself, no paper was left in my mailbox. Post office was able to tell me it's exact where-abouts for every step of it's journey (even gave me a printout). It was eventually "returned to sender".

Delivery man can't read English script, he just looks at the area code and house number. If one of them are wrong they could be delivering anywhere. They also confuse 1s, 2s and 7s, so it could be in completely the wrong area.

Edited by MissAndry

First thing you should do is go online and track the package at the thaipost web site, NOT the royal post. It will tell you where the package is. If it arrived in Thailand 10 days ago it is not unusual it didnt get to you yet.

If your package has no tracking number then there is absolutely nothing you can do.

Now if the package is lost you need to start the inquiry in the origin post.

Even if it shows the package arrived in thailand!!! This is a universal rule that applies for all post offices whose countries are members of the UN. 

Yeah the UN sets agreements between countries regarding postal delivery.

It will take at least 3-4 months to get an answer back

5 hours ago, xvend said:

Most Thai post offices are understaffed, and deliver most things on motorbike. So if your package does not fit, guess what?

Same here in upcountry.

Postman travels on his motorbike, about 16 km distance.

He won't build a sky high tower of parcels so simply does not care.

When I order bigger packages from within Thailand I simply prepare to pick them up at the post office.

In such case I use poste restante (general delivery) instead of my street address.

You can have your package/mail being stored at any Thai post office.

Cost is 1 Baht/day.

Any post office: as my post office is not on my usual route I simply use the office in the district town that I visit regularly,

When the shipment can be tracked then you know when to go for pickup.

For shipment within Thailand I use my name in English(roman) script and all address parts in Thai script (also Thai term for poste restante).

Edited by KhunBENQ

...tracking number or not...it will just disappear anyway....

...their word against yours....

...sent a cancer treatment book to a friend in The U.K. a few years ago....it never arrived....

...what are you going to do about it.....

...and they know it very well...

I've had similar scenarios with golf clubs delivered from Australia. In my experience, the main post office in the OP's area is where the package will be.

Do not be surprised if further charges are due from Customs.