Thai attitude to foreigners: An all time low?

mike111

5 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Funnily enough, I always get a genuine Wai and a KKK when I hand over my 1,000 bht the next morning.

Yes she,s a genuinely nice lady,I,ve heard of her before.....must be well into her 60,s now :clap2:

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

For 99% of farangs, "thai" means the lower spectrum of labour that caters to the sex tourist…so their perceptions are a bit skewed when making observations like the OPs.

Are you claiming their own men don't have sex with young Thai women at every opportunity?

As far as I can tell foreign sex tourists rank well above the average Thai male in any type of behavioral pattern you can put a name to.

The OP's question is whether Thais' attitudes toward foreigners have deteriorated.

IMO, it's true Thais' attitudes have deteriorated, but I'm not convinced it's specifically aimed at foreigners.

Rather, I think it's just an overall bad funk of a feeling, brought on by years of political turmoil, a poor economy, useless leaders, etc etc.

The notion of "Thai Smile" generally speaking seems to be a relic of history at this point. Hard to find a lot of reasons to be cheerful about Thailand, if you look at its experience of the past 5 years.

Im not referring to sexual relations at all….Im saying that the typical farang comes into contact with a very minute percentage of the thai population….the ones serving the tourist industry, which, lets face it, caters largely to sex tourists…..hookers, bar staff, restaurant waiters, 7-11s etc…..for them that is "thai". I think people who work in thailand's corporate world would have more balanced interactions with all kinds of thai people.

I think it has a lot to do with smartphones,people think you interrupt them when you are asking for service.

Not only in Thailand but everywhere.

I just politely say sorry for disturbing you and move on but i make sure they know what i really mean.

Social media ,a step towards heaven and a step towards hell.

46 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

For 99% of farangs, "thai" means the lower spectrum of labour that caters to the sex tourist…so their perceptions are a bit skewed when making observations like the OPs.

87% of statistics are made up on the spot....

57 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Well it's commonly a source of profound disappointment here that attitudes and manners just ain't what they still should be and what they were expected to be:

colonialism.jpg

But no, there's been no change except in yourself. Of course individually a Thai could be having a bad day or just be a tough old bird anyway. Behaviors mentioned in this thread, I've seen since forever.

Before I moved here many years ago I learned a few Thai phrases, one of which was "thank you." After a few years I noted to Thai friends that I'd never even heard this phrase spoken by a Thai. ;)  Quite a change from Japan where I'd worked.

On the other hand I find that if I use good Thai manners first, give a greeting in Thai and a friendly smile, I almost always get good manners and friendliness in return, even in a tourist-shocked town such as Pattaya. A little joking around goes far, too. So I usually have a pleasant experience. It must be such a relief to perceive that I'm not just another idiot farang of the sort they normally have to deal with here.

Well it's commonly a source of profound disappointment here that attitudes and manners just ain't what they still should be and what they were expected to be:

For one thing the old attitudes were what brought many of us here, and which are still promoted by Thailand - the Land of Smiles ring a bell? Sorry, but I fail to see your point. Attitudes do change, of course, but my point is that the warmth of the Thais is starting to disappear in the greater Pattaya area. There is no change within myself, as you suggest - I still turn on the friendly smile. It's just that this approach is not reciprocated as much these days, it's mainly dour, indifferent, sullen. That can be very disappointing, especially for someone who grew up in one of the world's friendliest, chatty, neighbourly countries and who found himself very compatible with Thais over the years. 

Once again, I'm surprised that others aren't seeing this. Perhaps it's your expectations of communication and reaction that are askew and not mine?

32 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Attitudes do change, of course, but my point is that the warmth of the Thais is starting to disappear in the greater Pattaya area.

My point again is that I disagree with your point. It's about the same.

There is no change within myself, as you suggest

Or you aren't able to perceive it. I've changed in that I'm better able to understand Thais, speak more Thai, and control most situations for pleasant outcomes. It can be done and a lot of farang have learned to do just that, not just me.

Perhaps it's your expectations of communication and reaction that are askew and not mine?

Not when I'm not only expecting but achieving good communication and pleasant reaction, which really helps towards the enjoyment of living here. Perhaps you need to be more "askew," too. ;)

I should mention a couple of other points: deal with Thais of a known-good temperament. E.g., I always check out w/ my fave cashier at Foodland and we exchange smiles. Today she noticed me coming in and gave me a little smile. Normally those cashiers don't smile much but are merely efficient. Nothing going on; just pleasantry. Had another very nice exchange at the customer service counter. 

And if you're going into a shop where you may not buy anything, then if you're noticed you immediately say in Thai, "just looking, nah." And you can ask, "May I just look?" That's polite and quells expectations that you're definitely going to buy.

Thais also don't like nickel-and-diming farang such as infest the forum, either. After asking a price, then if you don't buy, you can comment with a slightly troubled look, "Expensive nah?" and jokingly, "Discount possible?" And announce that you'll "think about it" and will "come back" with a smile. All sorted. :) It's their culture so you've got to push their buttons proactively.

The front line we deal with day-to-day are lowly educated, lowly paid, and aren't in the least cosmopolitan. But so many are quite nice underneath it all.

By reading rude content, about the Thai Government, the Police, the Citizens daily  in this  forum and other forums for many years, are you really that surprised your seeing a bad attitude?

I've enjoyed living here for going on ten years.

Every year I see tourists acting and dressing worse, and down right rude in public.

Two days ago I witnessed two English speaking foreigners getting arrested by the Thai Police for stealing candy from the 7/11 store!

Recently, I've see young American teenagers sleeping on pedestrian bridges in the Nana area early morning with backpacks along side of them.

I've seen foreign, topless, females on the beaches that were to dumb to ask anyone if it was legal.  The Police had to tell them while everyone on the beach was pointing at them.

Most don't even understand that their guests here and do nothing, but complain and don't understand the culture and local traditions.

Many don't even take the time to learn the Thai language, especially the words, thank you and sorry!

Foreign tipping is also embarrassing.  Thai service people work hard in the heat and some of the tips I see left are an insult.

I believe many Thais are  jealous of the foreigners wealth, while their budget gets harder every year with inflation and job losses.  

Many get forced out of their own communities because of over crowding from tourists/expats with money that drive prices up. Not forgetting the endless lines of tourist buses that frustrate Thai drivers.

Don't be too concerned about the attitude as Thais tell me many Thai citizens have a bad attitude with each other!

Maybe you are right when you say it is declining.......I don't know.  I don't seem to have any problems.  To get to the old city, I take sois and I pass little dressmaking shops.....they always smile and wave...I do the same.  We have never talked.  Just recently my sandal strap broke and I was hobbling along.  Out came a lady and offered me a pair of scuffs.  I go to Panthip plaza to buy cartridges for my printer.  I'm always getting it mended and they never charge me.  I go to get my laptop fixed (also in P Plaza).  I pay the agreed price and then after I wanted a few extra things done.  Gave me back the money I offered.  I walk out of the Gecko Gardens, two chaps are mending something in front of it.  I hardly noticed them, was intent on crossing the road.  One takes my arm and ushers me across the road, whilst the other stopped the traffic.  I must say that I nearly killed myself laughing, I was just so astonished. I'm pretty nippy for crossing roads in CM and don't really need help, but you would be astonished at how many times someone comes to TAKE me across (and I don't need them) and sometimes cars just stop for me.So I don't have anything much to whinge about.  

Oh, I forgot , the Thai that gave me a might swipe and knocked me to the ground in front of the 7/11 on Rathwithi.  One Sunday morning about 10 and wouldn't pick me up.  Mind you neither would the farangs that were strolling around.

I shall be there soon, and will look out for this.

40 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

For one thing the old attitudes were what brought many of us here, and which are still promoted by Thailand - the Land of Smiles ring a bell? Sorry, but I fail to see your point. Attitudes do change, of course, but my point is that the warmth of the Thais is starting to disappear in the greater Pattaya area. There is no change within myself, as you suggest - I still turn on the friendly smile. It's just that this approach is not reciprocated as much these days, it's mainly dour, indifferent, sullen. That can be very disappointing, especially for someone who grew up in one of the world's friendliest, chatty, neighbourly countries and who found himself very compatible with Thais over the years. 

Once again, I'm surprised that others aren't seeing this. Perhaps it's your expectations of communication and reaction that are askew and not mine?

Well you're opinion fails to make it's point ....when you state...."That the warmth of the Thais is starting to disappear in the greater Pattaya area"

It disappeared years ago:w00t:

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

It's mostly mutual.

I wonder how you all can stay here with attitudes like this. I have  been coming to Thailand for over 48 years, lived here the last ten. While I am not pleased with many of the attitudes and expectations here, I do not think it is so common at the personal level; if you bother to make friends and be nice.

You want anecdotes, sure here's one. I needed some welding done on my bike yesterday. So, I called an old Thai friend who used to have a big bike shop here for a recommendation. He suggested a cousin of his, who I knew, but did not know the location of his shop.  Since it was in an out-of-the-way place, my friend told me to go to another friend I knew who had a big bike shop and ask directions to the cousin's shop. At the friend's shop, he took his bike and showed me the way to the cousin's shop. The cousin told me it would take about two hours and had his boy take me back to my house. In less than two hours, the cousin arrived at my gate with my bike fixed. I asked how much and his answer was no charge; he explained it did not cost him anything but time, and time for a friend was enjoyable.  Of course, I thanked him, but I slipped him B500 and told him to buy something for his young son. Now, I probably could have gotten the welding done for less than B500, but could I have gotten the service, the good job, and the guarantee--I know if the weld breaks, he will redo it, but since he is a metal fabricator, and a damn good one, I'll wager it doesn't break. Also, without asking, my original friend had called both the friend with the bike shop and the cousin to make sure they took care of me. They both complied without hesitation--was it for me, or for my original friend, or both? Whatever the reason, I was the benefactor of good service and friendship--between Thai and farang.

When you get paid a pittance, work long hours, little hope of overcoming a life of poverty and then see a farang come in with what seems a life of leisure, I too would not be too willing to expend too much energy or warmth and hospitality, it doesn't put any more baht in your pocket from the locals or the farang. On top of this, looking around, the whole world is consumed with damn mobile phones and people would rather 'communicate' with them than the real world. My lunch is spent looking at my partner  on the mobile than talking in real terms. The world is changing and I think mobile phones have a lot to do with it. People have lost the art of conversation.

No, I don't think its at an all time low, it's just that when you first visit Thailand you see the nice things about the place, then gradually you realise it's not so nice and the Thais actually don't really like anyone not Thai, sorry to say this but that is how I view it nowadays!

15 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

My point again is that I disagree with your point. It's about the same.

Or you aren't able to perceive it. I've changed in that I'm better able to understand Thais, speak more Thai, and control most situations for pleasant outcomes. It can be done and a lot of farang have learned to do just that, not just me.

Not when I'm not only expecting but achieving good communication and pleasant reaction, which really helps towards the enjoyment of living here. Perhaps you need to be more "askew," too. ;)

I should mention a couple of other points: deal with Thais of a known-good temperament. E.g., I always check out w/ my fave cashier at Foodland and we exchange smiles. Today she noticed me coming in and gave me a little smile. Normally those cashiers don't smile much but are merely efficient. Nothing going on; just pleasantry. Had another very nice exchange at the customer service counter. 

And if you're going into a shop where you may not buy anything, then if you're noticed you immediately say in Thai, "just looking, nah." And you can ask, "May I just look?" That's polite and quells expectations that you're definitely going to buy.

Thais also don't like nickel-and-diming farang such as infest the forum, either. After asking a price, then if you don't buy, you can comment with a slightly troubled look, "Expensive nah?" and jokingly, "Discount possible?" And announce that you'll "think about it" and will "come back" with a smile. All sorted. :) It's their culture so you've got to push their buttons proactively.

The front line we deal with day-to-day are lowly educated, lowly paid, and aren't in the least cosmopolitan. But so many are quite nice underneath it all.

Not when I'm not only expecting but achieving good communication and pleasant reaction, which really helps towards the enjoyment of living here. Perhaps you need to be more "askew," too.

You haven't tried to understand a thing I've said, have you. Let me try to make it clearer: I'm a friendly guy. I smile and joke with Thais a lot, tease the lasses (well, we dirty old men need luvin' too). To use your words, this attitude of mine has contributed to my enjoyment of living here. It's the reaction I'm getting of late, what is reciprocated, that I'm talking about.  

Whet the new government acts with near open hostility to foreigners. Making it obvious that the only thing that counts is getting all their money as quickly as possible and getting them to leave.  Why don't you think the general population won't act the same.

4 hours ago, anotheruser said:

This is going to end well...

36399196.jpg

Not your imagination, I've been noticing a decline in regard for non-thais and an increase in surliness and resentment, and posted about it. You do get the naysayers though, mostly they've just not been paying attention and see what they want to see. It takes all sorts.

As the economy declines and the crime rate rises, it's a good idea to look to your own security. The government tries to make everything the fault of non-Thais, and it is very likely to get worse. I agree with the other poster who says that deep down Thais resent and despise non-thais, foreigners will never be the equal of Thais, it's been a staple of their education for decades.

In my opinion.

Winnie

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

On the other hand I find that if I use good Thai manners first, give a greeting in Thai and a friendly smile, I almost always get good manners and friendliness in return, even in a tourist-shocked town such as Pattaya. A little joking around goes far, too. So I usually have a pleasant experience. 

+1 ... generally speaking, this has been my experience as well (although I'm BKK based when in Thailand).

3 minutes ago, forrwhat said:

Whet the new government acts with near open hostility to foreigners. Making it obvious that the only thing that counts is getting all their money as quickly as possible and getting them to leave.  Why don't you think the general population won't act the same.

If only we could turn back the clock to a kinder and gentler day when the hookers didn't know the value of money. Kidding aside though Thais have gotten wiser about money and this makes some people unhappy. 

I think it's about where you are to a degree, in places like Pattaya or Patong which have a lot of tourists you may see what might be construed as an attitude problem, but lets not forget how some of these tourist behave god I would also have an attitude problem with some of the behaviour of these tourists. In most countries locals living in tourist zones can become jaded not all but definitely some.

Also I do believe as another poster stated that it maybe due to the political tensions that have been going the past 10 years.

Out of the tourist zones I haven't noticed anything different in the attitude of thai people but I think the ability to speak at least a little basic thai and be able to laugh and joke at sometimes my own expense also gets very positive results.

I have also noticed that on this forum there seems to be quite a few people with very negative attitudes towards thai people and i'm sure that this would be noticeably to thai people, why would they expect a good attitude from people they treat with contempt.

It's nice to be nice and you get so much more back when you are.

14 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

To use your words, this attitude of mine has contributed to my enjoyment of living here. It's the reaction I'm getting of late, what is reciprocated, that I'm talking about.  

Yeah, got that the third time. But for the third time I'm not getting the reaction that you are. Now it's kinda shocking in a forum devoted to bashing, might need to go into the TVF record books,  but it looks like we got a significant percentage here who also don't share your perception. So, guess we'll just have to agree that our perceptions are rather different. :)

Maybe ask, how often are you the one to smile first? Or show the shining example of manners?

I always crap the shopkeepers..after all i am getting the product.They are just carrying on with business and i dont get bent out of shape if they dont say anything.

If its a service thats being provided, a thankyou for sure. Ive never had a taxi not say thanks.

Every time i held a door open, or waited in a lift for others approaching, never once has a Thai not said thankyou.

Needless to say, being offended that others dont offer the desired response for whatever you did or think you are owed, is being a tad needy IMO.

just get on with it!

I'd guess most Thais are to busy 

making a baht just to survive to worry about the farang pleasantries.

Archived