A modest proposal to raise baht bus fares

Jingthing

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The proposal as it is written is valid but how does the baht bus driver get his tokens exchanged for cash most need and use the money as it comes in for fuel ect????.

When I use bht buss I pay 20 anyway. As you say once you have gone through the invisible barrier you pay double if it's 15 token or 20 cash they will still double that regardless.

If they want more money, they can reduce the numbers of baht buses by about half. They are the cause of most of the traffic congestion on Pattaya Beach and Second Rds while often most of them are empty. They won't provide a decent service on North, Central or South Roads and going elsewhere is the usual rip off. Even the ones servicing the bus station are ripping off as much as possible if going even down a soi off where they are going anyway.

As someone else said, have they improved the service in the last 20 years- NO, NO ,NO they haven't. They don't even slow down so people can cross the road safely. When I can't cross the road without risking my life under a baht bus's wheels, I don't think they deserve a raise.

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I really thought your post was in a mocking POV.

In any case, doubling the fare from 10 to 20 would make your example trip arguably overpriced, costing 80 baht RT.

By "experience" I mean they are open aired trucks, the drivers are often rude, the driving is often jerky/ too fast / erratic, the drivers often speed up before incoming passengers have a chance to sit down,  you are often crammed in there like sardines, sometimes have to wait in queues and hustle for seats, cross town queues you need to wait in a HOT truck for it to fill, the passengers sometimes blow smoke in your face, some of the trucks are spouting out masses of exhaust that goes right into the truck, etc. etc. 

Why tell things we all know.

I was merely answering another poster's question. The point is the baht bus system can work as transportation over it's limited routes, but it's not a first class riding experience. 

Even ROUGH transportation has value though. I'm at a point now where my opinion is that value is greater than 10 baht and I wouldn't be surprised if the baht bus collective is planning a price move. Could be next month, could be ten years from now. We'll see. 

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I was merely answering another poster's question. The point is the baht bus system can work as transportation over it's limited routes, but it's not a first class riding experience. 

Even ROUGH transportation has value though. I'm at a point now where my opinion is that value is greater than 10 baht and I wouldn't be surprised if the baht bus collective is planning a price move. Could be next month, could be ten years from now. We'll see. 

My chauffeur gets paid 500 a day, Mon. to Fri,  and I always chip  in 1000 to his pay per fortnight. That would give a lot of TV members a heart attack.

1 minute ago, sandgroper2 said:

My chauffeur gets paid 500 a day, Mon. to Fri,  and I always chip  in 1000 to his pay per fortnight. That would give a lot of TV members a heart attack.

I doubt it. You can't compare riding baht buses to having a private driver.

Cheers. 

On September 9, 2016 at 1:15 AM, DPGumbypgh said:

There is already regulations that govern Baht buses when being used for private hire. However good luck with it ever being enforced. Similarly for Motorcy fares.

baht bus hire.jpg

This may be correct but no one controll this. If you see the signs outside bic C both Pattaya Klang and South Pattaya they charge ฿250 to jomtien even the drivers of regular bath bus if you take them private outside the store. They just point to the blue sign.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So according to you, Pattaya will be flooded due to global warming before the baht bus fares go up from 10 baht?

My guess is as good as yours. Difficult to predict what will happen the next 20 years, maybe no tourists left in Pattaya. Maybe a global war will get rid of us all. 

Edited by balo

All these local Thais trying to get by feeding a family on 300 or less baht a day and some moron wants to increase their transportation fare double. Get a  life!

Not double. 50 percent. But you bring up a fair point. With a token system the city could establish a fund so that low income Thais could apply for free tokens. Rides for all!

BTW ... it's not that I want fares to go up. It's more like I'm convinced that they will go up and given that I think it's at least worth discussing smarter tactics about the details of the inevitable.

A minority of drivers are already pushing a 20 baht fare that isn't anything like official but it's writing on the wall. So if this has to happen why not in a cleaner softer more transparent way?

Of course I know it won't. This is only for discussion.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not double. 50 percent. But you bring up a fair point. With a token system the city could establish a fund so that low income Thais could apply for free tokens. Rides for all!

BTW ... it's not that I want fares to go up. It's more like I'm convinced that they will go up and given that I think it's at least worth discussing smarter tactics about the details of the inevitable.

A minority of drivers are already pushing a 20 baht fare that isn't anything like official but it's writing on the wall. So if this has to happen why not in a cleaner softer more transparent way?

Of course I know it won't. This is only for discussion.

You are right, it won't.

I just don't think they deserve a raise given there are at LEAST 50% too many, and always have been. Do you not remember when they used to beat farangs with pipes for not paying 10 baht when the fare was 5?

I started coming here in 1998 and many of my friends in 1992 and the fare was 10 baht from Jomtien <=>  town. So, a fare increase is probably warranted but I would not support one unless the public has input in improving and expanding service, having predefined, easily identified routes (color coded placards for example),  orderly boarding ques at 2nd Rd (by the school), etc.. 

1 hour ago, mrfaroukh said:

I think you have both car and motorcycle for offering to increase the rate. 

OP has never mentioned he owns a car, he is avid motorcycle connoisseur,  it has been mentioned he rides Ducati 1199 'Superleggera', and one of those KTM dirt bikes, 650cc or something like that