Insurance Problems Shipping Notebook With Li-ion Battery

malcolmswaine

Hi everyone

A friend is trying to courier a notebook from holland to here in Thailand (Samui). DHL and UPS are saying they wont insure it while in transit because it has a LI-ion battery. Sending it without insurance is a bit of a risk and sending it without the battery means finding a local replacement battery and paying the courier service to inspect the item pre-shipping since it will be incomplete (~ 100% more $$$) :D

Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a solution? I'm sure I'm not alone in getting my notebook sent from abroad...

Thanks for reading and โชคดีครับ

:o

Hi everyone

A friend is trying to courier a notebook from holland to here in Thailand (Samui). DHL and UPS are saying they wont insure it while in transit because it has a LI-ion battery. Sending it without insurance is a bit of a risk and sending it without the battery means finding a local replacement battery and paying the courier service to inspect the item pre-shipping since it will be incomplete (~ 100% more $$$) :D

Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a solution? I'm sure I'm not alone in getting my notebook sent from abroad...

Thanks for reading and โชคดีครับ

:o

Havent had the problem but why not ship the laptop and battery separate - Its extra cost (but as based on weight and with minimum charges should be no more than 2000 baht, 45 euros) but they shouldnt have an issue insuring the laptop this way

paying the courier service to inspect the item pre-shipping since it will be incomplete

Sending stuff from TH back to europe I have never been charged by UPS for inspecting incomplete items, cameras without lens etc...

Any item is not incomplete if you specify what your sending on the shipping note, camera minus lens, laptop minus battery etc.. - well thats my experience with local UPS here

Edited by Remo

I would also add that the 'inspection' bit baffles me, my experience with working across a number of different world wide courier firms is they wont take anything from me untill they have seen and checked (i guess this the inspection bit_ what I am sending - so bring something wrapped up they want to open it, check it and box it themselves, sometimes even x-ray

I am not doubting that your 'friend was told inspection charges apply' but personally if I was told that I would go somewhere else

I'm no legal eagle but my guesstimate is that assume a lot of responibility for the goods they agree to ship once its been sealed and they agree to courier it for you, try UPS a package with a few cds/software/games etc... and you will politely be asked to remove them or they wont the send your main item

Sending stuff minus bits for various reasons all 'electronic goods' 6 times in the last 5 months - never a problem

Edited by Remo