The Beatles' 'Eight Days a Week': the live career of 'a great little rock 'n' roll band'

rooster59

5 hours ago, sendintheclowns said:

So - who's in your top 10 groups of this century-to-date?

For me, after the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, it is difficult to put others in any kind of numerical order. There have been many amazing groups over the last 60 years - especially in the 60s and the 80s.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

For me, after the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, it is difficult to put others in any kind of numerical order. There have been many amazing groups over the last 60 years - especially in the 60s and the 80s.

'Especially the 60's and 80's'...I take it the 70's are a little fuzzy for you?

On 9/17/2016 at 9:49 PM, Ulysses G. said:

I agree with you completely, but, IMO, the Stones were a damned close second and I see how someone could contest that the Beatles were better. Both groups were FAR above the rest. 

No, the stones ripped off old blues artists and their songs. 

Stones were nowhere near the Beatles in all areas.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:08 PM, Mansell said:

Stones were good and pretty creative......Led Zeppelin were better IMO. But the Beatles were on a whole other level and changed music and the way it was recorded. Remember the Stones first hit was written by the Beatles. I think you had to be living at that time to grasp the impact of what the Beatles brought into this world. Living in England at that time, the late fifties and  1960-2 the Brit music was pretty crap with the supposed high points Cliff Richard and Billy Fury. 1963 on everything was new and the Brits started a revolution and it was the Beatles in the forefront with everybody else following on behind including The Swinging Blue Jeans, The Searchers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, etc.

British Trad and Skittle was great. Don't put down British talent pre Beatles.

BTW, Cliff was still going strong when most later groups were long gone.

9 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I guess that is where personal opinion kicks it. It is a fine tune, but I much prefer others such as Eleanor Rigby, Happiness is a Warm Gun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, A Day in the Life, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Here Comes the Sun and many others.

For me their highest point was when they made Hard day's Night and 8 days a week. After they rotted their brains on LSD they lost the plot and made noise for druggies.

17 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Amazing groups indeed. Beach Boys, Alan Parsons Project ( not really a group though ), Traveling Wilburys, E street Band and many many more, but the greatest of all, IMO, Fleetwood Mac ( from Albatross to whatever they will come out with next ), and Dire Straits. The Eagles would be up there too.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Amazing groups indeed. Beach Boys, Alan Parsons Project ( not really a group though ), Traveling Wilburys, E street Band and many many more, but the greatest of all, IMO, Fleetwood Mac ( from Albatross to whatever they will come out with next ), and Dire Straits. The Eagles would be up there too.

I agree with you there!

Fleetwood Mac have kind of punctuated my life!

The Peter Green version provided the soundtrack to my University days.

Saw them live at The Drum in Austin Tx in the '80s

But, here's the thing, saw them last year in Glasgow. The original Rumours line up with Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie. Note perfect! Three hours on stage! Awesome!

Car park was full of Mercedes, BMW, and Range Rovers! Real rock & Roll!

Edited by Grouse

2 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Fleetwood  Mac is one of the great ones for sure!

First time I heard Rumors it just blew me away, and the lyrics seemed to be straight out of my life. F M meant so much to me on a personal level, while the Beatles made jolly little tunes to sing along to, and then they didn't.

On 26/9/2016 at 0:52 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

British Trad and Skittle was great. Don't put down British talent pre Beatles.

BTW, Cliff was still going strong when most later groups were long gone.

that would be 'skiffle'. those of us old enough at the time (12-13 years of age) will remember ''My Old Man's a Dustman'' and ''Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight?'' a couple of his other hits,  by Lonnie Donnegan.

Even my Dad was enchanted. That was the start of my love affair with contemporary music. I have a copy somewhere of ''The Skiffle Sessions' 'Live in where ?

(I vaguely recollect San Francisco ??) It featured Van Morrison, Lonnie,  Cris Barber.  Youd be amazed at who  started off in skiffle. My dream was to become proficient with the tea chest bass or washboard. I gave it all up, by mistake, to become a Chartered Accountant, in later life.

On 26/9/2016 at 9:46 PM, Ulysses G. said:

I loved the "Fleetwood Mac" album just as much. However, good as they were, IMO, the BEATLES were much better.  They had way more truly great LPS. However,I understand that you do not agree.

Great album, infused, they say, with various personal relationship breakups. Go your Own Way....wow !

Reminds me of a similar reflection in the music of The Eurymatics.

• 8 months later...

I used to go to love Jefferson Airplane/Starship shows with the Grateful Dead playing as well. If the Airplane played first, I would watch 20 minutes of the Dead and then leave. I was not using a lot of drugs at that time, maybe that was the problem. I just didn't like them. 

that would be 'skiffle'. those of us old enough at the time (12-13 years of age) will remember ''My Old Man's a Dustman'' and ''Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight?'' a couple of his other hits,  by Lonnie Donnegan.
Even my Dad was enchanted. That was the start of my love affair with contemporary music. I have a copy somewhere of ''The Skiffle Sessions' 'Live in where ?
(I vaguely recollect San Francisco ??) It featured Van Morrison, Lonnie,  Cris Barber.  Youd be amazed at who  started off in skiffle. My dream was to become proficient with the tea chest bass or washboard. I gave it all up, by mistake, to become a Chartered Accountant, in later life.

So you became A Fiddler in the end.[emoji447]?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎17‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 5:01 PM, reptile91602 said:

The Stones were and are an incredible band. What they could do with 3 or 4 chords was phenomenal but no matter what you come up with you will never be able to outdo what the Beatles did in music. The range, the orchestrations, the complexity and even up to their last album. and of course what they did individually after the break up. No other band can compare. sorry!

The Beatles ceased to matter to me after Sgt Pepper's. I can't even listen to the stuff they made then. However, I wasn't a druggie, which is what they became, and I think it only appeals to druggies.

The early music was happy, enjoyable, and helped pass the time pleasantly. The later stuff makes me want to hit my head on the wall.

Yes, they changed pop music from such as itsy teeny weenie yellow polka dot bikini etc, but they also led popular music down into a dark place.

Which is why I say the Rolling Stones were a greater group than they. Still as enjoyable to hear their later music ( mostly ) as when they started.

It's really hard, thinking about it, to decide which would be the greatest group of all time, given everyone has different likes.

For myself, I can't decide between Fleetwood Mac ( Rumours and later ), The Rolling Stones and Dire Straits. Never thought about it before, but all were British, at least to start. I can't think of any American band that affected me the same way. Solo artists are not being considered here, but plenty of American solo artists that I love.

All of them made music that made me feel emotional, lasted a very long time, and made my life better. In a way, they were the soundtrack of my life.

The Beatles, while world changing, were a pop group to start, and ( for me ) irrelevant later.

• 4 weeks later...

If the Fab Four were still here today many would pay a lot of money to be at their concert...

For sure full of older folk who want to bring back memories but music has no age...Sure my mum and dad liked George Formby and Glenn Miller back then....

The Stones are still with us but they are still doing their old stuff, which is great....I reckon all group members have their own thoughts about their music future, that's why many groups split...Finding their own path...Clapton, Lennon, McCartney did that stuff..

I saw Fleetwood Mac in Glasgow on their world tour in 2015. Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie and the usual rhythm section! Three hours on stage, note perfect. Everything you wanted to hear.

But here's the thing, the multi-storey car park was stuffed with BMWs, Mercs and Range Rovers. The Baby Boomers at play! Huge boozing, loads-a-money and no trouble. After you! No after you, I insist!

Excellent!

Look, I thought Peter Green was amazing! Man of the world is on my funeral list! But, the Rumours line-up was unbeatable.

Edited by Grouse