JJGreen

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I think it's the human condition everywhere...especially in Germany. That's why they have a specific word for it. In English and Thai there isn't one so I assume the sentiment is less in those countries.

I think it's more because German is a very descriptive language. They are precise enough, for example, to have a 25 letter word meaning "A coward who insults from a safe distance" which I can't write because it might be deleted for being foreign.

Pity it's not available really, it would be perfect for some posters on Thaivisa. (I'm not suggesting you're one of them).

Oh well, c'est la vie....  

The trouble with 50% of these guys is that they are misfits & have nothing else to do in the late morning

so they bitch & grizzle about everyone & thing on this forum until a so called correct hour to grace a bar stool.

Just ignore them . Gotta go back to work bye

21 hours ago, JJGreen said:

I have noticed some of that workaround and tradeoff mentality here...
It's good if it can be applied to other people's issues

I am sometimes guilty of schadenfreude when a certain kind of expat meets with predictable problems.

It's usually the kind of guy who knows it all and likes to show off - that type of person doesn't take advice and likes to act impusively. I can't stand their guts already and then when they do something which I specifically advised against, the shit hits the fan.

That is the kind of situation where I can't help but feeling schadenfreudig, it happened a handful of times already.

18 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

A fascinating topic all round , not often I read every comment but I do admit I hide behind the fresh produce counter at Lotus as I have heard all the BS over the years but this was a good start to the day , thanks OP.

You hade behind a produce counter! You need help!

Never take pleasure in others poor life choices.  I just never understood 

how,someone that was to lazy to work past the age of 45-50 can

have the nerve to complain they don't have a pension or they

worry because their income has decreased by 10-15%.   You get

out of this life what you put into it!   Those of us

that have worked,paid

into pensions,  and 401's and 403's for decades and are now on "Easy

Street "deserve every golf game, vacation, 5 Star restaurant meal,

and luxury vehicle we drive....We worked for it and should enjoy

it.   Those who have not, well..."Let Them Eat Cake"( not concerned 

about loosing my head) 

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

great call. thailand the white trash equivalent of the great pacific ocean garbage patch. do seem to be a lot of people giving their hearts (and much more) away to bar girls despite numerous warnings.

Wow! You are in some weird pain! Australian retired blue collar worker?

Just now, alofthailand said:

Wow! You are in some weird pain! Australian retired blue collar worker?

kiwi, but i do have an aussie passport as well so a pretty good guess. are ausseies really that bad a moaners?  i have retired but i think i will go back to work next year. have you noticed that every expat you meet here wants to tell you about their failed relationship, or failed business sob story? i am not much good at sympathy.

19 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Really? Schadenfreude deleted because it isn't English?

It IS now English. It's even in the dictionary http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/schadenfreude?q=Schadenfreude

If you don't think so, you had better delete:-

Pyjama

Veranda

Thug

Shampoo.

All Indian words.

There's a few thousand others that English also assimilated.

It's also in my Oxford ED which I have had for nearly fifty years.  Better delete all those words of French origin too, or 'skipper' which is Dutch etc etc

26 minutes ago, alofthailand said:

Ah - create your own mini safe space by ignoring opinions that offend you!

The irony of it.

Your comment is actually a perfect reflection of itself as a response to my comment "15".

Why does me writing "15" lead to your comment, and how does "15" offend you so?

Take another, much close look, as to why I wrote "15", as part of a quote - look at the profile I was quoting.

Here's a big clue - its a maths thing.

On 2016-09-18 at 10:18 AM, JJGreen said:

Is it particular to Thailand expats? Petty jealousies and competition to who is more successful here?

No it's not, but it becomes more visible here as there are less to compare with. Envy is they key driver.

I never tell people exactly where I live, what I do or how much I make. There is a certain number that would go to lengths in order to worsen my sitution - since they can't stand success.

41 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Never take pleasure in others poor life choices.  I just never understood 

how,someone that was to lazy to work past the age of 45-50 can

have the nerve to complain they don't have a pension or they

worry because their income has decreased by 10-15%.   You get

out of this life what you put into it!   Those of us

that have worked,paid

into pensions,  and 401's and 403's for decades and are now on "Easy

Street "deserve every golf game, vacation, 5 Star restaurant meal,

and luxury vehicle we drive....We worked for it and should enjoy

it.   Those who have not, well..."Let Them Eat Cake"( not concerned 

about loosing my head) 

Thank you little ray of sunshine. I was just about to say that from what I've seen it appears we have a conglomeration of people here for different reasons. However it appears many of those toiled at occupations that made them miserable most of their lives and found Thailand to be an excellent way to maximize benefits,at the same time provide a platform to quadruple missing self-esteem every time they think they were invited to.

22 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

There is a term used by those who study human behavior which is a German term starting with the letter F.

I wom't even try to spell it because I can't

Losely translated it mens "Taking gleeful pleasure in other  people's misfortune".

All humans will display it sometimes, usually when something they dislike happens to them and they they see something bad happen to another person.

Part of it is that you nay  think "better you suffer than me".

It is a normal human reaction you will see in all countries afound the world.

It is not a logical human reaction to enjoy, even if briefly, seing another person dixcomforted by an unexpected event, but real human bhaviour is not logical.

Its schadenfreude, the second word in the opening post.