Hua Hin to dismantle old communities encroached on beach

webfact

Hua Hin to dismantle old communities encroached on beach

210908-wpcf_728x409.jpg

HUA HIN: -- Hua Hin local residents and traders who were accused of public land encroachment by building guesthouses and homes and food vendors have called for sympathy from the authorities following imminent movement by the local administration  to enforce the law strictly to remove all the property encroached on public land.

The call was made as they met the deputy governor of Prachuab Khiri Khan Mr Theeraphan Nantakij today to negotiate for the suspension of the action.

At the meeting the deputy explained them the need to enforce the law and the procedure the encroachers needed to follow and abide by.

However the owners of the 40 encroached properties asked for sympathy saying they have been there over a decade.

They also claimed that their ancestors have pioneered to develop the area.

Earlier local administration ordered the dismantling of the structures on the roadside of Naresdamri Road, from the Fishing Pier to Chaomae Tabtim Shrine because they have encroached the public beach.

But they said the area was the old community, citing some old wooden homes which now have become Hua Hin’s legend.

The wooden homes were praised as the identity of Hua Hin town which deserved to be conserved under project in 2012 to inherit Hua Hin old homes, buildings and townscape, citing Home No 7 was the good example.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/hua-hin-dismantle-old-communities-encroached-beach/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-21

These businesses have paid big bribes over the years to be there.  They knew it was illegal.  But sad to tear these structures down as they are quite nice.  What a problem.

It'd be nice to go back and recoup all those bribes that had been (and still are) paid.  Walking Street being an excellent example.

I see miles and miles of empty beach in the photo and a few hundred meters of buildings that probably draw more tourists and more tourist $$$ than any 10 miles of that empty beach.

Wouldn't a better idea be to lease the encroached land to the folks who have been there for years and years instead of tearing down the buildings and leaving a gaping wound that won't attract anyone for years?

Anyone looking for a pristine beach isn't going to find it in town- they can travel 500 meters.  Families whose kids and grandkids grew up eating in the encroaching restaurants can keep on eating there.  Lease payments would go to the public coffers.  Hundreds (thousands?) of locals will keep their jobs.

Unless, of course, this is all a ploy to grab the land for high rent, high rise condos and hotels.  Because you can never have enough condos and hotels.   As long as you're willing to price them real low.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

I see miles and miles of empty beach in the photo and a few hundred meters of buildings that probably draw more tourists and more tourist $$$ than any 10 miles of that empty beach.

Wouldn't a better idea be to lease the encroached land to the folks who have been there for years and years instead of tearing down the buildings and leaving a gaping wound that won't attract anyone for years?

Anyone looking for a pristine beach isn't going to find it in town- they can travel 500 meters.  Families whose kids and grandkids grew up eating in the encroaching restaurants can keep on eating there.  Lease payments would go to the public coffers.  Hundreds (thousands?) of locals will keep their jobs.

Unless, of course, this is all a ploy to grab the land for high rent, high rise condos and hotels.  Because you can never have enough condos and hotels.   As long as you're willing to price them real low.

Police and government officials made big money off this over the years.  Just like the sun loungers in Phuket.  You are 100% correct.  Make these legal and have the payments go to the city so they can do things like clean up the beach properly and fix the sidewalks.  Wait...what sidewalks! :lol:

Removing these rickety, old clapped out structures and then beautify the area, is the right choice IMO.

These old buildings are accidents just waiting to happen to tourists........apart from all the garbage and oils that end up in the sea below them.

Rip them down and charge them back rent and prosecute everyone who's been taking money for protection ,dismiss the government officials for not doing there job and proper police action for corruption and encroachment ,sorry forgot this is Thailand ,suspend demolition for another 20 years and keep the bribes going 

Clos'em down. Are they following sewage regulations? They are squatters pure and simple. Stayed there once many years ago, and I found it to be an accident waiting to happen. I would hate to see what would happen if a blaze broke out.

No such thing as free money. Let them go buy properly regulated land and do it right, if there is such a thing.

While it would make sense to legalize those properties and make occupants pay market prices for their land, nothing would change how they pollute the water.

Toilets, food leftovers, everything's just pumped into the sea and no one seems to care.

These structures are a disgrace for Hua Hin, as romantic and iconic they might look. They represent the worst of local culture: blatant abuse of rights and utter disrespect for the environment.

17 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Rip them out too.:thumbsup:

I'd prefer the entire town to be ripped down (Pattaya), but then the country would suffer financially as all of the sexpats, coffin dodgers and freaks would not be bringing money in... so I guess it ha to stay 

1 minute ago, JustNo said:

I'd prefer the entire town to be ripped down, but then the country would suffer financially as all of the sexpats, coffin dodgers and freaks would not be bringing money in... so I guess it ha to stay 

what a strange comment!!  why stop at "ripping down" hua hin?  why not rip down thailand?  or even the world??

27 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

what a strange comment!!  why stop at "ripping down" hua hin?  why not rip down thailand?  or even the world??

I was referring to Pattaya, read again and read what I quoted that on..  I live in HH and whilst it has a small red light district, it is nowhere as 'gutter' as Pattaya 

13 hours ago, impulse said:

I agree, it would be better to legalize and grant lease to the restaurants with the obligation to renew structures and avoid pollution by taking the necessary steps. I am quite sure that such a step would also invite more investments and betterment of the restaurantgs. It should however be done within a masterplan how to improve the old part of town. The small road declared as walking street in the Bintabaht area is quite a joke, the entire old town at night should be a walking street and this would result in more nice bars, restaurants, boutiques letting visitors stroll without the fear of being hit by a madman motorcycle.  Then the problem of missing parking lots has to be solved, still one of the major headaches in this town. Anyone knows what kind of buildings have been partially erected at the old pier? Before we had at least a 50-100 parking lots there, they disappeared and the construction site is idle since long.

Looks like a real shanty town and doesn't do a thing to enhance the area. Just makes a few Thais and officials a lot of dirty money....Don't just dismantle them, demolish them and return the area to nature... Prosecute all the officials ( NOT MOVE TO IN-ACTIVE POSTS ) that allowed this to happen Including public utility services like water, electricity, and sewage. Without these utilities these businesses would not be able to be built or operated.

7 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

They steal land and built businesses on them and now they have the audacity to ask for sympathy ?

So their argument is they have been there for over 10 years. In that case the authorities should charge them rent backdated 10 years THEN demolish their businesses

I suspect they have been paying rent for those 10 years.  It just wasn't going to the public coffers.  Better idea?  Claw back the rent from the ones who received it illegally.  Then toss them in the hoosgaw.

BTW, if this is a safety issue as some posters describe, I withdraw my objection to tearing it down.  If it's just an encroachment issue, I still think tearing it all down is short sighted.

1 hour ago, JustNo said:

I was referring to Pattaya, read again and read what I quoted that on..  I live in HH and whilst it has a small red light district, it is nowhere as 'gutter' as Pattaya 

A 'gutter' made of gold! Don't bite the hand that feeds you; I say!

Lost in the discussion is where all the waste associated with the business operations of the  illegal construction has gone. Do people really believe that the illegal construction was hooked up to the municipal sewer line? Know where some of the waste gets dumped  when they close for the night?   Eat late and you will see.

Disgusting dirty places  that have made the owbers very rich and  allowed  corruption to thrive. Take them down now.

23 hours ago, pan mores said:

Wow. And what about Pattaya's beach half of Walking Street?!?

Authorities in Pattaya have been talking about this for 50 years.

Unfortunately, influential people have always stopped the talk.

4 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Wish they would knock down The Hilton and give folks access to the Beach

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Agreed, the Hilton is an eyesore but as much as they would love to, they cannot deny access to the public beach. 

Swimming daily along that stretch I find that the "quality tourists" from the Hilton are the most ignorant litter droppers on "their beach".

Archived