Baht bus rip off

bands

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Going into Jomtien, usually they'll go as far as Chayaphreuk.   

Just a small hint; If you want go to Jomtien, take a bus which in front of the 3 big numbers has a small number 5 or 6. These buses go directly to Jomtien.

8 minutes ago, joskeshake said:

I had the same , getting on at Beach road Royal garden and 2 corners furthes on second road just after traffic lights driver also told me and family to get of and pay,this is mafia.

That's really bad. 

Now with multiple reports, I give this more credibility.

I haven't had that experience  because as close as Royal Garden I would just walk! 

OP lacks credibility.

His comment that he quit renting a motorbike is BS. If he is always perfectly legal then an occasional stop at a checkpoint would not be an issue. It's only an issue if you don't have a MC license, won't wear a helmet, or like driving while drinking.

Hi there 

thanks for all the responses. , and we appreciate the diverse views . 

Just a a few points to clarify

its not the cost of the baht buses as they are as cheap as anything . In fact too cheap .as a non resident 2-3 weeks a year couple we would happily pay a lot more  . Been shouted at an rapped on through the glass is what my concern is . If the guy said sorry I just want a rest or anything in  a mildly polite manner that would be fine . 

Ref the motorbike issue , when we had our condo here a few years ago we enjoyed the motorbike driving part of it .

our decision not to rent was based on other factors mainly the Russian roulette of accidents, we've not had any and I guess  we just didn't want to push our luck . And after spending an amusing hour in the bar next to the police station (checkpoint) for motorcycles ) it was the right decision

our decision to holiday else where is not based on one factor of course .  It's a lot of little things that have knocked the edge off Pattaya ( we're not here for the girls as were a couple in our late 40s)

were not anti pattaya by any stretch,  we just feel it's time for us to try other venues Vietnam Cambodia Philippines etc 

thx all 

1 hour ago, bands said:

Hi there 

thanks for all the responses. , and we appreciate the diverse views . 

Just a a few points to clarify

its not the cost of the baht buses as they are as cheap as anything . In fact too cheap .as a non resident 2-3 weeks a year couple we would happily pay a lot more  . Been shouted at an rapped on through the glass is what my concern is . If the guy said sorry I just want a rest or anything in  a mildly polite manner that would be fine . 

Ref the motorbike issue , when we had our condo here a few years ago we enjoyed the motorbike driving part of it .

our decision not to rent was based on other factors mainly the Russian roulette of accidents, we've not had any and I guess  we just didn't want to push our luck . And after spending an amusing hour in the bar next to the police station (checkpoint) for motorcycles ) it was the right decision

our decision to holiday else where is not based on one factor of course .  It's a lot of little things that have knocked the edge off Pattaya ( we're not here for the girls as were a couple in our late 40s)

were not anti pattaya by any stretch,  we just feel it's time for us to try other venues Vietnam Cambodia Philippines etc 

thx all 

No worries mate, it's good to explore new places, and many of us who like it here are not here for the girls either. 

I hear Da' Nang and Nha Trang are very nice; and with 7000 or so islands, you'll surely find a piece a paradise somewhere in the PI. All that being said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were back holidaying in Thailand in a couple years...as the grass isn't always greener.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:12 PM, kenk24 said:

Geez, another ten baht down the drain... maybe if not pleased with baht busses it might be better to spring for a higher class of service.. sometimes in life we get what we pay for...

and you said...

"Think we've had enough of Thailand now . Next year we will go else where ." 

Maybe try another part of Thailand - after so many years here, you must know that there is more than Pattaya and it is not very representative of the rest of the country... or maybe not - once your impression of Thailand hinges on baht bus drivers, maybe better to try elsewhere. Your frustrations are bound to increase.

If you think the baht buses in Pattaya are bad, don't go to Chiang Mai. Some of them are extortionists ( many are not, but there is no fixed route, so every trip is a haggle ).

Then you have a problem, because Phuket is worse, Samui is worse, and I don't know anywhere else that has an equivalent of the Pattaya baht buses.

On 23/09/2016 at 2:23 AM, jonnodon said:

All you who go on about the price of Baht Bus transportation better listen up and understand.

this mode of transport is designed for the general population.

i and you know it's inexpensive, but to the Thais it's reasonable and that's the point.

anything in this place that's essential for the Thais is cheap as the bottled water etc.

we get the benefit of this.

but anything non essential cost heaps.

dont come at me or anyone about complaining about 10 baht.

these Thais are robbing us when there are no Thais on board we are generally told

ride over when in fact it's not.

so if you walked into 7/11 and were the only customer and were asked for 50 baht for a bottle of water you bleeding hearts would happily pay up.

for Christ sake can't you see the rip off, run the bus to the finishing point and charge the correct price.

If I drove a baht bus, I wouldnt spend , say 20 baht, on fuel to make 10 Baht.(come to think about it, I wouldnt spend 5 baht on fuel to make just 10 baht) No rip off,just simple economic sense.

Edited by sandgroper2
added more

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, all I can say is if you want to be sure to avoid getting charged for a very short ride that doesn't finish the assumed route, WALK! 

You have obviously missed the point completely. The OP wanted to go for a long ride, and got turfed off unexpectedly. No way for him to know it would be a short ride.

Happened to me a few times. Very annoying.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you think the baht buses in Pattaya are bad, don't go to Chiang Mai. Some of them are extortionists ( many are not, but there is no fixed route, so every trip is a haggle ).

Then you have a problem, because Phuket is worse, Samui is worse, and I don't know anywhere else that has an equivalent of the Pattaya baht buses.

I don't actually think the baht busses in Pattaya are bad... I don't live in or near Pattaya but last time I visited a friend, I had absolutely no problem on my few rides. But, I also have no problem in CM either. I don't really haggle but do ask the fare. If it is close to correct, I go with them. I speak Thai and they often invite me to sit in the front. I can sympathize with them when I see that they are doing a lot of driving around and with near no customers sometimes. They have families and kids and they are just trying to eke out a living... 

If you want to get upset about fraud, go after the bankers in the Western World. 

But, my point was that people are paying 10 baht and upset with service... On occasions, I hire a local fellow with a commuter van, near my home in the countryside.  It can cost me 4000 baht for the day and we might cover 5-600 km... he is a lovely fellow, very polite, very accommodating, opens the doors, has cold drinks waiting, carries my bags, and is always concerned for my comfort... I would not expect the same for 10 baht - - in the world I live in, you get what you pay for.... you want good service, pay for it. Mostly, I drive myself, but if in Pattaya, a baht bus seems really cheap for getting around. 

My mother insists on asking how much every time even though I tell her it is 10 baht. Of course if

you ask, the reply is always 20 baht. If you don't know they can charge what they think you will pay.

She still thinks I am mistaken as I like to ride my scooter. :whistling:

On 22/09/2016 at 11:28 AM, peeba7 said:

Streak of bad luck I'd say.  The only problem I have with BB's is when they won't stop to pick us up.  OK maybe not the only one.

Yeah, what's the deal with baht buses not picking up passengers? Flagging them down late night on Beach Road at Soi 7 or 8 but they just drive past either when they are completely empty or only have a few people. What's the deal? They don't want to make money when they are driving towards Walking St anyway?

On 22/09/2016 at 9:45 PM, Jingthing said:

-- Coming from Jomtien, if the driver turns at Pattaya Tai, yes you must pay the 10 baht even if you wanted to go much further.

The fare is still 10 baht as far as Pattaya Klang. After that many drivers will expect 20 baht coming from Jomtien.

If you get on at 2nd Road in Pattaya Glang around Soi 8 and all the way to Walking St, is the fare 20 baht or still 10 baht? I gave the driver the usual 10 baht before but then he said it's 20 baht.

Edited by bbi1

33 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

If you get on at 2nd Road in Pattaya Glang around Soi 8 and all the way to Walking St, is the fare 20 baht or still 10 baht? I gave the driver the usual 10 baht before but then he said it's 20 baht.

You been done by pattaya's   finest. :bah:

Edited by onemorechang

8 hours ago, bbi1 said:

If you went around the corner and all the way back to W S it's 20. In general, it's 10 baht if you travel in straight line.

Some baht bus drivers should be stripped of their licenses. I've never had so many refuse to pick me up because I didn't want to pay as a taxi.

They certainly don't deserve a satang increase if they are so rich they can refuse fares and drive empty.

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you went around the corner and all the way back to W S it's 20. In general, it's 10 baht if you travel in straight line.

Interesting, I thought it was 10 baht for the whole rectangular route around Beach Rd & 2nd Road. Might as well just walk from 2nd Road through the soi to Beach Rd then.

Actually, come to think of it, I got on near Soi 6 on 2nd Rd then got of on Beach Rd at soi 8 and it was 10 baht. Driver never asked for 20 baht just for turning the corner. Is that a rare case?

Edited by bbi1

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Interesting, I thought it was 10 baht for the whole rectangular route around Beach Rd & 2nd Road. Might as well just walk from 2nd Road through the soi to Beach Rd then.

Actually, come to think of it, I got on near Soi 6 on 2nd Rd then got of on Beach Rd at soi 8 and it was 10 baht. Driver never asked for 20 baht just for turning the corner. Is that a rare case?

In the old days you might have got your head beaten with a steel bar for that. However, perhaps he was feeling too tired to argue with yet another person about the fare.

I have understood for over 20 years that if you went a long way, around the corner and back a long way it is double ( used to be 5 baht on the straight ).

One point to clear up. If you got on at Soi 6, did he go down a soi to Beach Road, or did he go all the way to Dolphin roundabout?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In the old days you might have got your head beaten with a steel bar for that. However, perhaps he was feeling too tired to argue with yet another person about the fare.

I have understood for over 20 years that if you went a long way, around the corner and back a long way it is double ( used to be 5 baht on the straight ).

One point to clear up. If you got on at Soi 6, did he go down a soi to Beach Road, or did he go all the way to Dolphin roundabout?

All the way to Dolphin roundabout then Beach Rd until Soi 8.