Charlotte shooting: family releases video of Keith L Scott's last moments

rooster59

Charlotte shooting: family releases video of Keith L Scott's last moments

606x341_344834.jpg

The family of Keith Lamont Scott, a 43-year-old black man who was shot dead by a black policeman in Charlotte, North Carolina, have released a video of the last moments of his life. In it, his wife can be heard urging officers not to open fire.

No gun can be seen, but police can be heard telling Scott to drop his weapon and his wife calls on him to cooperate with the officers. However, she insists he was not armed.

Charlotte police have yet to release dashboard and body cam videos of the incident. Local Mayor Jennifer Roberts says this is partly to allow time for witness accounts to be recorded without fear of them being altered by the footage.

In the nights following Tuesday’s shooting (September 20), anger has flowed out onto the streets of Charlotte, resulting in an overnight curfew being imposed and hundreds of National Guard troops being deployed.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-24

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

If a black police officer shoots a black suspect then can it be called a "racist" shooting?

Black cop shoots black person: ok

Black cop shoots white person: ok

White cop shoots white person: ok

White cop shoots black person: not ok

Formula apparently also works civilian-civilian.

56 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Just his usual deflection to avoid the real issue.

This IS exactly the issue. 

Everyone screams racisim when a white cop shoots a black suspect but the Charlotte shooting was a black cop so I just wondered how it fits the real issue.

You never like to address the real issue so I can understand why you won't respond.

cheers

8 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Everyone screams racisim when a white cop shoots a black suspect but the Charlotte shooting was a black cop so I just wondered how it fits the real issue.

You never like to address the real issue so I can understand why you won't respond.

cheers

The issue there is a big mistrust from a big part of the community towards the police. And since time and time again it appears that people are shot even though they posed no threat at all there is a reason for that mistrust. That needs to be discussed, not your question 'how can it be racism if black shoots black'.

31 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The issue there is a big mistrust from a big part of the community towards the police. And since time and time again it appears that people are shot even though they posed no threat at all there is a reason for that mistrust. That needs to be discussed, not your question 'how can it be racism if black shoots black'.

+1.  In our names, we have given cops that authority and ability to ruin people's lives with huge legal fees, corrupt bail bonds, jail time and even with death. 

Black, white, green or purple, we need to come down like a hammer on those who abuse or are incompetent with that authority.  And those that cover up the abuse and incompetence under color of their own authority.

That's not a judgment on this particular case, which seems to be unfolding as more evidence comes to light.  But it's amazing that more and more of this is coming to the fore as cell phone cameras become ubiquitous and it's no longer the cop's word against the bad guys' word.  Even if the bad guy is only bad because he's been arrested and charged by a cop in the wrong.  Youtubes got bazillions of them.

Makes me wonder how many $$$ billions have been paid out by innocent people for the actions of incompetent or corrupt cops (including racism as the corruption).  To the middle class and rich, it's a financial setback.  To the poor, it can mean financial disaster.

This guy may be a very poor poster child of abuses by the cops.  We'll know more as more video is released.

But what we don't know- and can't know because we don't live there- is how close to the surface this unrest was in Charlotte.  What we do know is that dozens of police departments in cities across the country, major US cities, are being run by the Feds under a consent decree because of corrupt, incompetent and/or racist police departments.  Charlotte may be next for all we know.  Or it may not.  But if I were a betting man...

I have lived in small towns where the police department was blatantly racist, was run on nepotism and cronyism, and mainly served the purpose of collecting fines to keep the taxes low and services working.  In such a case, it doesn't take a real strong example of police brutality to send it over a tipping point.  To the world, it looks like opportunistic looting and crocodile tears over a pretty bad guy.   But to the residents in the know- black and white, it was pretty predictable.  It was years in the making and something had to give.  Having lived in Charlotte and experienced the racial tensions, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Edited by impulse

Just for the sake of the argument and for all our police force- shills: when was the last time, even half as many cases were reported of black policemen/women, shooting unarmed white guys?

I am just curious to see, where your BS-argument takes us!

They found a weapon with his prints on it at the scene.  He had a gun.  Sad, but if you are a father of 7, with a brain injury, why are you carrying a gun?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/charlotte-keith-lamont-scott-shooting-wife-video/index.html

The gun police say they recovered from the scene of Scott's shooting was loaded, a source close to the investigation told CNN. The source said investigators recovered from the weapon fingerprints, blood and DNA that matched with Scott. The source said the blood most likely got on the gun after the shooting.

160922194340-wsoc-scene-photo-charlotte-

Mr. Scott was born in South Carolina, was about six feet tall and weighed 230 to 250 pounds. While living in South Carolina in the 1990s, he was charged with a number of offenses including check fraud, aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon. Later, he moved to Texas where he shot and wounded a man in San Antonio in 2002, for which he was convicted and sentenced, in 2005, to seven years in prison. He was released in 2011.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/us/charlotte-shooting-keith-scott.html?_r=0

40 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Just for the sake of the argument and for all our police force- shills: when was the last time, even half as many cases were reported of black policemen/women, shooting unarmed white guys?

I am just curious to see, where your BS-argument takes us!

You can answer these questions for yourself, no conspiracy theories.  Great article to read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.607975aca369

Overall, the majority of the people who have been shot and killed by police officers in 2015 and 2016 were, based on publicly available evidence, armed with a weapon and attempting to attack the officer or someone else.

4 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Mr. Scott was born in South Carolina, was about six feet tall and weighed 230 to 250 pounds. While living in South Carolina in the 1990s, he was charged with a number of offenses including check fraud, aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon. Later, he moved to Texas where he shot and wounded a man in San Antonio in 2002, for which he was convicted and sentenced, in 2005, to seven years in prison. He was released in 2011.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/us/charlotte-shooting-keith-scott.html?_r=0

Good post.  Thanks.

So you're not a racist but throw Islam in here just for fun.

I was not throwing Islam into it,it was his mother that said he used to sit in his car and read the Koran ,if she had said he read the bible I would have just substituted that,but hey don't let an opportunity to bring religion into an argument,stop you

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

No you're not racist at all, are you?

I mean, white people simply do not cause trouble, do they?

Blacks commit violent crimes at 7 to 10 times the rate that whites do.

Blacks committed 52 percent of homicides between 1980 and 2008, despite composing just 13 percent of the population.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7441/7-statistics-you-need-know-about-black-black-crime-aaron-bandler#

All these things go through a cops head when confronting a violent felon with a gun.   

Edited by Scotwight

10 minutes ago, i claudius said:

I was not throwing Islam into it,it was his mother that said he used to sit in his car and read the Koran ,if she had said he read the bible I would have just substituted that,but hey don't let an opportunity to bring religion into an argument,stop you

As somebody else has said already, religion seems to be unimportant here. So better to not have mentioned it, especially not in the context of throwing it at the cop.

8 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The contentions may be true, but doesn't separate the following analogy:

Most shark attacks involve great white and bulls sharks.

Most great white and bull sharks attack people.  (Which is demonstrably false, and less racially charged)

And if you drill down through the statistics, I suspect you'd find that the more significant correlation is between crime and adversarial police interactions and poverty.  It also happens that the poverty rate among blacks is higher.

2 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Perhaps because they've been systematically disadvantaged by the system for generations.

I'm not saying they don't bear some of the responsibility for their situation but the hand of the white man is inextricably linked to a significant proportion of their difficulties.

I fully expect someone in denial will be along in a minute to claim that white-dominated power structures don't impact upon black people's socio-economic problems in the least

Do you have any idea how many attempts have been made to give blacks an easy time in life? From welfare money to college tuitions to affirmative action? 

The only thing holding the black community back is their victim mentslity which you display above--you hold the black man back with that gibberish. 

As for the actual topic--does anyone know if the victim was allowed to drive a vehicle if he was apparently suffering from some severe brain trauma as his wife stated?

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

cheers

Sadly, you missed it. The issue is the over the top aggressive training and that action in play by American police.

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

The contentions may be true, but doesn't separate the following analogy:

Most shark attacks involve great white and bulls sharks.

Most great white and bull sharks attack people.  (Which is demonstrably false, and less racially charged)

And if you drill down through the statistics, I suspect you'd find that the more significant correlation is between crime and adversarial police interactions and poverty.  It also happens that the poverty rate among blacks is higher.

No easy answers here!  Drugs, poverty, education, family, etc, all play a part

Sometimes I get sick of writing on here ,you post a comment and the usual suspects pick on anything you say and start with the ,your racist ,your anti Muslim ,etc etc etc ,instead of talking about the subject matter ,get a life

contempt of cop,  as I read this, they weren't even there for him, but for someone else with a warrant.

every other person in america, has a gun.

as I've read this he did nothing threatening, what he "did"  was  disobey  the  cop,  who "ordered him" to "drop his gun" ; 

THEN the pattern goes.  They shoot him,  often 10 times,  go and handcuff him, and don't offer 1st aid, he bleeds to death and is left to die. 

the police have become militarized, and are never convicted, free reign of Terror,  you would think the "Benevolent Cop Societys" might push harder for some kind of handgun control, but do they??  Since Kaepernick started his kneeling, 69 people have been shot and killed by the police, it's out of control  IMHO

Edited by chubby

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

The question was not, if more white or black people have been killed by cops!

The question to all the "all lives matter  and for black lives I don't care"- crowd was: are there any incidences recorded, where black cops kill white unarmed men!

In a quantity anywhere near, what we see now, with unarmed black people being killed by white cops!

Is there a white Tamir Rice a white Eric Garner?

Where?

Edited by DM07