Expats stuck in a time warp

JJGreen

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

What are some examples of the modern sensibilities or political correctness

Even refusing to answer your request makes me a racist. homophobe, misogynist, Fox news watching, nazi, Bible bashing oppressor, all around hater, and global warming denier.

That is an example.

I must accept the party line on everything, or I am all of this and more.

I reserve my right to a free mind.

Even refusing to answer your request makes me a racist. homophobe, misogynist, Fox news watching, nazi, Bible bashing oppressor, all around hater, and global warming denier.

That is an example.

I must accept the party line on everything, or I am all of this and more.

I reserve my right to a free mind.

Not much of a free mind if u fear to express it

If you were clever you would see that I did put some thought into post 37.

Explaining how even when not responding, a judgement is placed on the omission. That is an example of modern sensitivity or a politically correct mind prison. 

Read 1984. It describes the same phenomenon. 

If you were clever you would see that I did put some thought into post 37.

Explaining how even when not responding, a judgement is placed on the omission. That is an example of modern sensitivity or a politically correct mind prison. 

Read 1984. It describes the same phenomenon. 

I thought that response was just a cop out in post 37. It would lack critical reasoning ability on my part to accept it as a specific example of political correctness.
U are intelligent enough to express actual examples of your opinions and stay within forum rules

A few that stand out from the first list of 11 I found on the web  Link

The are endless examples.

6. A school in Seattle renamed its Easter eggs 'spring spheres' to avoid causing offence to people who did not celebrate Easter.

7. A UK council has banned the term 'brainstorming' – and replaced it with 'thought showers', as local lawmakers thought the term may offend epileptics

8. A UK recruiter was stunned when her job advert for 'reliable' and 'hard-working' applicants was rejected by the job centre as it could be offensive to unreliable and lazy people.

10. In 2007, Santa Clauses in Sydney, Australia, were banned from saying 'Ho Ho Ho'. Their employer, the recruitment firm Westaff (that supplies hundreds of Santas across Australia), allegedly told all trainees that 'ho ho ho' could frighten children, and be derogatory to women. Why ?  Because 'Ho Ho Ho' is too close to the American (not Australian, mind you) slang for prostitute.

A few that stand out from the first list of 11 I found on the web  Link

The are endless examples.

6. A school in Seattle renamed its Easter eggs 'spring spheres' to avoid causing offence to people who did not celebrate Easter.

7. A UK council has banned the term 'brainstorming' – and replaced it with 'thought showers', as local lawmakers thought the term may offend epileptics

8. A UK recruiter was stunned when her job advert for 'reliable' and 'hard-working' applicants was rejected by the job centre as it could be offensive to unreliable and lazy people.

10. In 2007, Santa Clauses in Sydney, Australia, were banned from saying 'Ho Ho Ho'. Their employer, the recruitment firm Westaff (that supplies hundreds of Santas across Australia), allegedly told all trainees that 'ho ho ho' could frighten children, and be derogatory to women. Why ?  Because 'Ho Ho Ho' is too close to the American (not Australian, mind you) slang for prostitute.

I'd agree with you about those examples...nothing off the wall thinking those are loopy PC suggestions

11 hours ago, Alive said:

Actually, I think it's just old people. It's the same in the west. Sure the older folks use tech but they old onto the values of their day and the fears of their day. And they mostly chase the younger women. Certainly these folks are lost in the past. :passifier:

What do you mean that at 77 I "old" onto the fears of my day? I don't hear any German bombs dropping and my diet is a touch more than dripping sandwiches - on ration....:smile:

10 hours ago, SgtRock said:

Mormons ?

Jehovahs ?

7 Day Adventists ?

What cult is JJ representing ?

Probably none of the above.

He is just not a member of the "KISS" congregation. "KISS"? = Keep It Simple and Stupid.

Cheers.

10 hours ago, SgtRock said:

Mormons ?

Jehovahs ?

7 Day Adventists ?

What cult is JJ representing ?

Probably none of the above.

He is just not a member of the "KISS" congregation. "KISS"? = Keep It Simple and Stupid.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Your user name,  geriatrickid, says a lot.

I know several old English guys in Chiang Mai who will only have remote associations with Thais, eat only Farlang food either at home or in restaurants, their homes are like a piece of old England, some even having their old furniture shipped over from England and flatly refuse to adapt into Thai society.

Many have a dislike for Thai people and even the country. I think these people are only here for economic reasons, a place where they can stagnate into their own comfort zones at a much cheaper rate then in their own countries. It makes no different to them whether they are in Thailand or Timbuktu.

Many many of those types of people living here not just in Chiang Mai and not restricted to those of British descent.

And, what is wrong with not wanting to "develop"?

The insane rush to "develop" has blighted western society, turned the youth into wimpy wooses that think pretend friends on their machine are actually real, and destroyed millions of lives in the developing world by exploiting them to obtain cheap stupid machines, never mind destroying the planet as we know it as the sheeple fly around the world to tan their blubbery hides around a pool in countries they neither know or care about.

Develop? Bah humbug to that.

And, what is wrong with not wanting to "develop"?

The insane rush to "develop" has blighted western society, turned the youth into wimpy wooses that think pretend friends on their machine are actually real, and destroyed millions of lives in the developing world by exploiting them to obtain cheap stupid machines, never mind destroying the planet as we know it as the sheeple fly around the world to tan their blubbery hides around a pool in countries they neither know or care about.

Develop? Bah humbug to that.

U dont have to choose to follow mindless teenagers and early twenties something...
I wouldn't recommend following vacuous people of any age really...unless already vacuous and then the transition would be easy

Exploitation has always been around...dont think any generation has a clean record there

Well in my opinion living in the 60/70/80/90 were far simpler than today's age.

Simple to buy xmas presents that didn't make you take out loans.  Simpler and cheaper to buy and tax a car. Simpler to do your own electric /gas/water works in your own home without all this health and safety rubish, as it is now here in thail and. 

A much much simpler more happy way of life all round.

Interesting observation, but from personal experience I can't say that I agree. Moving from a home country to another - permanently - had been a growth experience, and mind-expanding. However, since I chose Nepal from America, it was like going back in time, and still feels that way. When I bounce to Thailand, it feels like I have moved to the future. Inevitably, I bounce back, to a place that reminds me most of America in the 60's and 70's. Wolfe said you can't go home again, but I feel I have, to some degree: to a place where personal freedom is still "a thing." To a place where government gives little thought to me, and taxes are low. To a place where I can do whatever the F that I want, within reason, and where no one is hurt. Thailand was once a place like that, but not so much these days. BKK is still however a wonderful city to visit, and now surpasses London as the top tourist destination in the world. But I feel more comfortable as an expat in Kathmandu, perhaps for the reasons that the OP states, but perhaps because it is a place that time has forgotten, even for just a few decades or so. 

Edited by StrandedBusinessPerson

21 hours ago, Alive said:

Actually, I think it's just old people. It's the same in the west. Sure the older folks use tech but they old onto the values of their day and the fears of their day. And they mostly chase the younger women. Certainly these folks are lost in the past. :passifier:

Please define old for me. When I look at the supposed young people around me they act more like my mother of 90 than those you consider to be old. Which values are you talking about, many people of all ages have none. Which fears are you talking about? Fears about the future of our children the young ones you are refering to? Fears about the future of the world under the young who only value instant gratification and deplore the value of patience? It is easy to make generalised assumptions and comments but it only proves that you have fixed views which is more inline with old peoples thinking than the supposed young.

1 minute ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Please define old for me. When I look at the supposed young people around me they act more like my mother of 90 than those you consider to be old. Which values are you talking about, many people of all ages have none. Which fears are you talking about? Fears about the future of our children the young ones you are refering to? Fears about the future of the world under the young who only value instant gratification and deplore the value of patience? It is easy to make generalised assumptions and comments but it only proves that you have fixed views which is more inline with old peoples thinking than the supposed young.

Every generation views the young with a certain disdain and yours is no different.

I'd imagine that when you were young, your elders whined about youth's affectation with rock and roll, the contraceptive pill's effect on promiscuity and drugs - they probably thought that was all about instant gratification too.

I wonder how those same elders would feel if they could see their offspring running around Pattaya trying to be young again with a dolly bird in tow.