What good books are you reading?

thaipod

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow.

Not recommended if you're not an American into history.

Just finished Citizen Soldiers, Stephen E. Ambrose on the life and times of the GI's from Normandy to the end of the war.

Really lets you know what they went through. Lots of reported interviews that bring out the times and conditions.

Herriott, GM Fraser(Flashman books), Tolkein, Harry Potter, Wodehouse, the Iliad and the Odyssey. But reading is a personal thing, what I may like may not be any good for you. A good idea is to find a nearby second-hand bookstore because what is there should have been popular with someone at some time. And there is often a very good range. Just keep an open mind, I did not think I would like "Doc Savage-the man of bronze" which is a real penny dreadful but it was 10c so I bought it and now I love it.  

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I download a lot of the free books on Kindle, some are winners and some are binners !!

Though lately I have been splashing out on 99p specials :)

Yep kindle is good but nothing will ever replace a book IMO

17 hours ago, newnative said:

I like mystery, suspense, and some historical novels.  Some of my favorite authors who have never let me down: 

Jo Nesbo

Jeffrey Deaver

Daniel Silva

Elizabeth George

P. D James

Jonathan Kellerman

Michael Connelly

Ken Follett

Erik Larson

Ruth Rendell

Lee Child

I like similar types of novels, though not so much historical ones. I've added some of the names to my list of authors to be checked before adding the books to my "wish list" 

Currently, I'm reading "Last Bus to Woodstock" by Colin Dexter. It's the first book in the "Inspector Morse" series. Next up is"Payment in Blood" by Elizabeth George.

Alan

On the last 3 visits here my daughter has brought out 5 books by Jodi Picoult , the UK's number one best selling woman's fiction author. The last 2 books my daughter has not even read herself.  The last one i read was 'Change of heart ' , best novel I have ever read. JP wites " What would you do? "

on the front cover. Gripping stuff.

Zd1

Can i suggest 'The Throwback by sharp?Like you,i couldn't stop laughing.

Ive read them all.Among the best are The two about South Africa(i think Riotous Assembly is one,cant remember the other)Blott on the landscape,Porter house blue,and obviously the Wilt books.(every time i think of the student in 'Plasterer's 5' bashing Wilt,i have to chuckle)

Tend to be re-reading books I read back in the 1960s / 70's and a  couple of more modern books.

Varjak Paw by S.F Said ( about cats ) - a young readers book but interesting slant on cats - 2003

The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov ( this story has a cat too but ........ ) - written between 1928 and 1940 published 1967

War With The Newts by Karel Capek - 1936

The Noodle Maker by Ma Jian - 2004 ( perhaps earlier )

Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap - 2005

mate, all depends on what you like. I got into fantasy fiction while I was in my apprenticeship(worked on a huge house for a couple of months and The Hobbit was lying on the table on the back veranda, read it all by the time we finished(every lunch time) and I was hooked), then when I was in thew armed forces I read what ever was available and that went from phantom comics to westerns and action books. As previously mentioned Wilbur Smith is great(read all of his) but there are many more writers that are great reads too, Clive Custler is another good writer and then there is David Gemmell, David Eddings, Raymond Feist & off course JRR Tolkien (these  are fantasy fiction)and the list just keeps going depending on your particular preference

On 9/26/2016 at 0:57 PM, soc said:

lon ldriess, Australian author.-

lsles of Despair,

the true story of Barbara Thompson, sole survivor of a native attack in the Torres Strait.

The Desert Column,

l ldriess adventures in 1918.

Guiseppe Maniscalco.

The Long Walk(not to be confused with "The Longest Walk")

True story of an ltalian soldier who walked from Ethiopia to South Africa in 1943.

Karen Blixen.

Out of Africa.

Enigma-the battle for the code.

True story of how the British(with Polish help)broke the German codes of WWII.

That will do for now!

I used to read a lot of Idriess' books when I was young.  I liked this one in  particular.  As for Out of Africa....did you ever see the film?

No place to hide. Great read. On  a seperate note I have over 200 gb of kindle books that I am happy to share with any book lover that wants to pm me. Cheers.

How do you share a book on Kindle? I have wondered about this occasionally but assumed it couldn't be done.

I really like the moody espionage novels by Alan Furst, most set in middle Europe at the onset of WW2.

Not a lot of action but great portrayals of ordinary people drawn without choice into the war.

"The Polish Officer"

"Foreign Correspondent"

"Night Soldiers"

"Dark Voyage"

The Life of Katherine Mansfield by Antony Alpers [Oxford 1987].

The Collected Stories of Katherine Mansfield [Wordsworth Classics 2006].

Fascinating reading about her childhood in New Zealand; coming of age in bohemian and literary London before, during, and after WWI. Last days at Gurdjieff's chateau and commune at Fontainebleau.

My thanks to Irish George at Backstreet Books in Chiang Mai. He has provided me with a lot of reading pleasure over the years. I hope he stays in business for a long time to come.