Ridicule and pity of Americans abroad ...

Jingthing

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Strange said:

Criticize all you want, just be informed and knowledgable if you want to be taken seriously. 

I think I have read and witnessed all I need to make an informed opinion of both Trump and Clinton. It seems to me that it's actually US citizens are the ones badly informed.

Hmmm...ridiculed by whom ?

Brits ? They have their own BREXIT Issues to shame them currently

Europeans ? Call me when they are out of recession and can actually support the policies they currently have in place

Russians ? Puleeeze !

???????

Don't even get me started on the Aussies and the Canadians !

"  Obviously open to Americans and all others.

If you agree it is a thing, how do you deal with it as Americans or non-Americans "

it seems to me as a non-American that the statistics are showing an increasing discontent among Americans themselves.

Since 2008 the number of individuals giving up their American citizenship has increased by almost 560% setting new records each of the past three years. Some of these are apparently motivated by extra tax load paid when working abroad, trying to avoid student loan debt and some who say they have just had enough of the encroaching police state.

it is also interesting that the authorities seem to be trying to deter people from doing this by charging an astronomical amount. The initial paperwork for renouncing American citizenship used to cost $450 but has now skyrocketed to $2350 which is now the most expensive fee of any country in the world.

Edited by Asiantravel

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

Hmmm...ridiculed by whom ?

Brits ? They have their own BREXIT Issues to shame them currently

Europeans ? Call me when they are out of recession and can actually support the policies they currently have in place

Russians ? Puleeeze !

???????

Don't even get me started on the Aussies and the Canadians !

Exactly a bunch of people who live in glass houses that are throwing stones. they gleefully talk about the demise of the USA with out a second thought where that would leave their own country. 

10 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Exactly a bunch of people who live in glass houses that are throwing stones. they gleefully talk about the demise of the USA with out a second thought where that would leave their own country. 

Suddenly we've gone from presidential candidates to the demise of the USA. Americans were never known for having thick skins.

Edited by giddyup

The topic was actually about recent ridicule of Americans, not the presidential candidates. The OP said specifically he didn't want it to become about the candidates. It is about if the level of crap Americans get has gone up lately. I haven't really noticed it going up.  

I also handle it okay because am capable of giving and taking it with the best of them. Now I am going to depart this thread because I think anybody in their right mind knows what this thread is going to descend into by the end of the day. 

Have a good one mate.

Edited by anotheruser

Since the US president is an object of ridicule, why would other nations have any respect for the country. Our own politicians are too stupid to learn from the mistakes Europe made. Now another corrupt liar is likely be elected president, it will be monkey business as usual. I'm not a Trump fanboy but I'm firmly in the anyone but Hillary camp.

6 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Garbage.....

I'm surrounded by European's married to Thai women.......Most with Doctorates & higher degrees....

While they see Trump as a bit of a "cowboy" not one of them wants Hillary to win the election....They want a stronger US....They don't want to see the US to turn out to be a mess the way most of their home countries already have....

I know quite a few doctors, lawyers and other "well educated" individuals both from the US and from the rest of the world - none of them that I am aware of want Trump as president. Plenty of them are vocally opposed.

I suspect our experiences differ due to 'confirmation bias' - people tend to surround themselves with individuals that share their own viewpoints.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

35 minutes ago, giddyup said:
1 hour ago, Strange said:

Criticize all you want, just be informed and knowledgable if you want to be taken seriously. 

I think I have read and witnessed all I need to make an informed opinion of both Trump and Clinton. It seems to me that it's actually US citizens are the ones badly informed.

lmao an aussie accusing an american of being uninformed of american presidential candidates & politics

They are both idiots but there is a reason that they are there. 

So I guess you will be in the ridicule camp then?

Yeah Hillary's performance really embarassed me and to think she is our first female presidential candidate from a major American political party just beggars belief. To think of Golda Meir, Indira Ghandi, Margaret Thacher, Angel Merkel...and then this Hillary weasel...it's almost too much to take...where's my "Kiss Me I'm Canadian" t-shirt?

I find it odd that people from piss-ant countries that would place squarely among the poorest of U.S. states feel compelled to bequeath judgement against a people & country that their  country can never measure up to....

Most have flawed & failing social structures & programs & are with GNP's that might be large enough to match ONE of the US's 50 states....

The US may have less than popular/optimal/glamorous leadership this election year.....But clearly something's working.....

Without provocation, you really don't see "Americans" taking cheap - click bait - shots at other countries or their people.....

IMG_20161003_144518.jpg

IMG_20161003_144414.jpg

IMG_20161003_144302.jpg

Screenshot_2016-10-03-14-41-59-83.png

Is it so different? I spent a lot of time in the US 2000-2008 and I don't recall meeting even ONE person who had voted for Bush.

In any case, who is pointing the finger with the likes of Tony Abbott, Jeremy Corbyn, Francois Hollande and a wide selection of Euro ratbags around?

9 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I know quite a few doctors, lawyers and other "well educated" individuals both from the US and from the rest of the world - none of them that I am aware of want Trump as president. Plenty of them are vocally opposed.

I suspect our experiences differ due to 'confirmation bias' - people tend to surround themselves with individuals that share their own viewpoints.

Subject to the mysterious paths of life I guess....These just happen to be neighbors....Oddly enough I don't ever bring up politics or religion....If someone makes their view points known I don't tackle them and hold them down to enforce a political agenda.....It's not my place to start a pissing contest....Which is usually how these things end up - with long time bruised feelings.....

Away from politics there's a full life to be lived.....

I once asked my students to draw me a picture that represented America to them. An eye opening exercise as to what Thai kids think...but I got some with the words "FREEDOM" and "Lady Liberty" and some with "NBA Thug Life", complete with gold chains and hookers...5555

5 minutes ago, tonray said:

I once asked my students to draw me a picture that represented America to them. An eye opening exercise as to what Thai kids think...but I got some with the words "FREEDOM" and "Lady Liberty" and some with "NBA Thug Life", complete with gold chains and hookers...5555

They showed you their real homework perhaps.....:stoner:

1 hour ago, giddyup said:
1 hour ago, Strange said:

You realize that this is a huge blatant fear mongering post right? 

Read my comment in context. I was responding to the poster who asked why the rest of the world should be concerned about who is running for president.

And you realize that what you said in response to the poster is completely false fear mongering right? 

Either that, or you genuinely don't understand how our country works and you honestly believe that we have a dictator in power that can just press a button and nuke the world. 

You honestly believe this?

4 hours ago, Andrew C said:

It doesn't matter. Why people who aren't from the US are concerned with the election is something I never understood.  

It's quite easy to understand. The process of electing a US president goes on for about 18 months and is broadcasted around the world for as long. In most other countries an election process is short and takes a couple of months at most.

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

And you realize that what you said in response to the poster is completely false fear mongering right? 

Either that, or you genuinely don't understand how our country works and you honestly believe that we have a dictator in power that can just press a button and nuke the world. 

You honestly believe this?

Dunno, but thought the Pres was followed by a guy with a case handcuffed to his wrist that the Pres could use to do stuff, or is that just for the movies....?

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Dunno, but thought the Pres was followed by a guy with a case handcuffed to his wrist that the Pres could use to do stuff, or is that just for the movies....?

Nah...the case is full of hand lotions and condoms I believe. Just a modern myth

7 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Garbage.....

I'm surrounded by European (MEN) married to Thai women.......Most with Doctorates & higher degrees....

While they see Trump as a bit of a "cowboy" not one of them wants Hillary to win the election....They want a stronger US....They don't want to see the US to turn out to be a mess the way most of their home countries already have....

This thread is nothing more than a pathetic way to sling mud at/slander  all Americans using the elective process as an excuse......

Nothing like some SELECTION BIAS going on there eh?  All older MEN,  who moved to Thailand to marry Thai women ...that already tells you a lot about if they think ANY woman should be President of the United States ...Period!!

Edited by amykat

19 minutes ago, transam said:

And this case, you think the president can just whip it open with his morning coffee and press the botton?  

30 minutes ago, tropo said:

It's quite easy to understand. The process of electing a US president goes on for about 18 months and is broadcasted around the world for as long. In most other countries an election process is short and takes a couple of months at most.

It's because many people around the world realize that elections in America, and who the American president is, has more effect on their lives than the votes they cast for their own leaders.

12 minutes ago, amykat said:

Nothing like some SELECTION BIAS going on there eh?  All older MEN,  who moved to Thailand to marry Thai women ...that already tells you a lot about if they think ANY woman should be President of the United States ...Period!!

What????? LOL....

You really think this way ????

This has nothing to do with gender......

But - if that's the only Trump card you have - play it.....

Says more about you than anyone else - or any one of us....And not all of us have Thai wives....

1 hour ago, Asiantravel said:

"  Obviously open to Americans and all others.

If you agree it is a thing, how do you deal with it as Americans or non-Americans "

it seems to me as a non-American that the statistics are showing an increasing discontent among Americans themselves.

Since 2008 the number of individuals giving up their American citizenship has increased by almost 560% setting new records each of the past three years. Some of these are apparently motivated by extra tax load paid when working abroad, trying to avoid student loan debt and some who say they have just had enough of the encroaching police state.

it is also interesting that the authorities seem to be trying to deter people from doing this by charging an astronomical amount. The initial paperwork for renouncing American citizenship used to cost $450 but has now skyrocketed to $2350 which is now the most expensive fee of any country in the world.

During 2015, there were 4279 citizens who gave up their citizenship.  Do you consider that a lot out of 320 million people?  Does it occur to you that maybe all of those are people who have dual citizenship, you know, like your Thai wife, or that Indian worker who is now returning home for retirement with his bank accounts full and doesn't want to be bothered with the taxes on worldwide income ,for example? 

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

What????? LOL....

You really think this way ????

This has nothing to do with gender......

But - if that's the only Trump card you have - play it.....

Says more about you than anyone else - or any one of us....And not all of us have Thai wives....

YOU SAID ...all your neighbors, "married to THAI WIVES" ....please read about "selection bias"

Please read about Sexism ...I did not invent it.  Most of you Western men, moved here to profit from it specifically. You write about in this very website.  But of course deny it at times like this. 

5 minutes ago, transam said:
16 minutes ago, Strange said:

And this case, you think the president can just whip it open with his morning coffee and press the botton?  

Tell all...?

Nope, im not going to educate. If others want to form an opinion over uneducated fear mongering posts, go ahead.