Sending Thai gold back to Thailand

tropo

Does anyone know if you can FedEx or DHL Thai gold jewelry (96.5% - 23k) back to Thailand. How is it handled by customs? It will only be 2.75 baht of gold - 41.69 grams. A necklace and 2 pendants. It would be valued at approximately 60,000 baht at today's gold price.

I want to get this gold jewelry back from the Philippines which I originally bought in Thailand, so I can trade it in for new items.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Edited by tropo

9 minutes ago, tifino said:

be safer, coming back over, around someone's neck - just at a reduced profit - better than stolen

If that was an option, but it isn't. I don't have anyone coming over.

Theft should not be a problem with FedEx or DHL as the item would be declared to full value. I'm only concerned about how Thai customs handle gold jewelry, and everything with DHL and FedEx goes through customs.

29 minutes ago, damo said:

dont.

friend did it 8 years ago. the obvious happened. 

It isn't obvious to me. How was it sent? What courier? Was it stolen, or did customs charge a fortune on it or seize it?

Edited by tropo

15 minutes ago, samsensam said:

surely correctly described and valued items will be insured against loss if sent by a recognised courier? otherwise what's the point?

That's true, otherwise I'd just hide it in a box and hope for the best.

It would be valued at true worth, about 60k baht. DHL have shipping costs estimated at about 1,700 PHP (about 1,300 THB) for a declared value of US $2000, but what of Thai customs?

1 hour ago, tropo said:

It would be valued at true worth, about 60k baht. DHL have shipping costs estimated at about 1,700 PHP (about 1,300 THB) for a declared value of US $2000, but what of Thai customs?

Well if as you've said you have no other choice.  Then youv'e got no other choice regardless of what customs does or does not do. My only concerns would be theft or the item not "turning up". If it's properly declared and insured through a reputable courier evrything after that is out of your hands. Or you could sell it in the Philo's and transfer the money to your recipient in Thailand. I think you will be very surprised at the scrap gold price compared to your estimated value however... ;)

1 hour ago, starky said:

Well if as you've said you have no other choice.  Then youv'e got no other choice regardless of what customs does or does not do. My only concerns would be theft or the item not "turning up". If it's properly declared and insured through a reputable courier evrything after that is out of your hands. Or you could sell it in the Philo's and transfer the money to your recipient in Thailand. I think you will be very surprised at the scrap gold price compared to your estimated value however... ;)

If I'm going to be hit with heavy customs duty on something I bought in Thailand originally, of course I have another choice - I won't send it. Of course I won't sell it for scrap gold price in the Philippines to get a fraction of it's worth either. Gold is money. Would you sell your money for a fraction of it's worth?

It's in the sticks in a province of the Philippines. The pawn brokers over there probably don't know the difference between Thai gold and standard gold jewelry... and even if they do they won't admit it and try to buy it for half value counting on the owner being stupid, desperate or both, which sadly is most often the case... and then send it to a real gold dealer somewhere and double their money.

If I don't send it, it will have to sit over there until I go myself, but that won't be for quite sometime.

I have no concerns about theft with DHL or FedEx. I'm interested in knowing how customs will handle Thai gold coming back into Thailand. I'm sure it's an unusual situation and I'm merely taking a shot that someone may have done this before.

I get a quote with DHL and FedEx for sending jewelry, so I know they can do it.

1 hour ago, uptheos said:

I would imagine that Thai customs will charge you the appropriate duty, even if you have a receipt, which they know anyone can make up.

I do have a receipt for original purchase from a gold shop in Thailand and all gold shops put their stamp on the items, but the value of Thai Gold changes daily and it's easily worked with a calculator and the price of the day. As Thai gold jewelry is 96.5% gold, it's virtually cash.

Edited by tropo

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

If I'm going to be hit with heavy customs duty on something I bought in Thailand originally, of course I have another choice - I won't send it. Of course I won't sell it for scrap gold price in the Philippines to get a fraction of it's worth either. Gold is money. Would you sell your money for a fraction of it's worth?

It's in the sticks in a province of the Philippines. The pawn brokers over there probably don't know the difference between Thai gold and standard gold jewelry... and even if they do they won't admit it and try to buy it for half value counting on the owner being stupid, desperate or both, which sadly is most often the case... and then send it to a real gold dealer somewhere and double their money.

If I don't send it, it will have to sit over there until I go myself, but that won't be for quite sometime.

I have no concerns about theft with DHL or FedEx. I'm interested in knowing how customs will handle Thai gold coming back into Thailand. I'm sure it's an unusual situation and I'm merely taking a shot that someone may have done this before.

I get a quote with DHL and FedEx for sending jewelry, so I know they can do it.

Honestly I dont know TIT right? But I really dont know how they could justify charging you duty on old gold. Which is of course the problem you may not get a definitive answer, you may just have to hold it till next you return. Good luck.

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Theft should not be a problem with FedEx or DHL as the item would be declared to full value. I'm only concerned about how Thai customs handle gold jewelry, and everything with DHL and FedEx goes through customs.

Get it yourself , will be cheaper/safer than by post

I think you're right about DHL/FedEx insuring it if they know what is in the box.  However, Customs will definitely know once it arrives and my experience of them is not good. 

Eg. 1 a box of 25 catalogues to give customers - had to pay 2,000 baht to get them into the country (FedEx handled it)

Eg. 2 a friend bringing over his own clothes as he was over the baggage limit in the UK.  Customs wanted so much it was cheaper to send them back to the UK (Customs assumed he was trying to resell second hand designer clothing)

Eg. 3 Well known global company bringing in office furniture - held up at customs as the "rules" changed so new documents were required to be able to pay the import duty - customs offered the usual fast track service for a fee - Global Company can't be seen to pay "bribes" so went through the 2 month process to get their container released.

My advice bring it over by hand as there is a good chance you will pay more than it is worth to get your delivery.  Alternatively see how much you are offered in the Philippines - you may get a good price and dealers of gold know what they are looking at.

16 hours ago, tropo said:

You could be charged import duty as well as VAT.

4 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

You could be charged import duty as well as VAT.

You WILL be charged import duty as well as VAT if it's picked up

DHL/FedEx and you have to pay most of the time / nearly all the time. If it's EMS, then sometimes yes, sometimes not 

Maybe I can put my "golden question" in here. I have an 18ct gold bracelet around 7baht- 109 grams weight. Have had it tested by 4 different shops who say it's 75% Gold. I have no use for it now after 40 years and want to sell it. The question is where around Pattaya, SriRacha, or Chonburi is there a place that would buy it???

20 hours ago, tropo said:

Yes and from experience there is no FedEx or DHL employee to watch the Thai customs. They just wheel the lot over to Thai customs and are called when Thai customs is finished with their rummaging through what was wheeled over to them.

LOL in LOS

16 hours ago, starky said:

Honestly I dont know TIT right? But I really dont know how they could justify charging you duty on old gold. Which is of course the problem you may not get a definitive answer, you may just have to hold it till next you return. Good luck.

I know the gold shop where I buy gold in Pattaya will buy it for its gold weight, so I have to assume many places will. 

14 minutes ago, Kabula said:

The last time I read Fex Ex rules, it said no cash, nor gold shipments.

Up to you!

Good luck.

They prohibit gold bullion, not specifically jewelry...  

Anyway, I won't be doing it. Thanks to all for your advice and information.

I purchased 400oz pure silver from Singapore and had sent to me in Chiang Mai. Had to pay around 25,000 ฿ taxes.

i thought gold did not have a tax on it but not 100% sure. 

I recently tried to snd to send the silver back to to the original seller as a buy back but most of the couriers would not do when they knew what it was. One wanted to charge me $us1000 to ship and insure it. 285,000฿ value at the time. 

a quick over night trip was much cheaper in the long run. But in your case not warranted.

Just look at the immigration rules.You need a permit to import jewelry.

That is why it can go right or wrong.

In general, it is the value one has to the item is more than the amount of gold of the actual item.

It will never get out of the Philippines never mind make it to the Thai customs officer's wife's wrist/neck!
What do you honestly think will happen when the Philippine's customs see a box with over an ounce of pure gold jewellery on the bill of lading label? :cheesy: