Dress in black or not as an alien resident in Thailand

Felt 35

How do other foreigners living in Phuket dress up daily in this sad period for Thais. I wish to show their respect
in this time of mourning, but when we after all are foreigners and not Thai Nationals could it be that we will be seen as superficial?

It's not rocket science. just dress and act respectfully. Black is Ok, white shirt black pants is ok. Very loud colors and hawaiian prints maybe not a great idea. Gray, muted tones of other colors all ok...just don't  be screaming at midnight 'Part-ay". Just act the same way you would to a friend who has lost a family member.

Edited by tonray

The black dress is for Government workers.  Today, in Bangkok I actually went out in dark trousers and a white shirt 'polo' shirt, just in case.  Mrs Jas tells me that light coloures trousers and light coloured shirt is more than enough. Probably coloured shorts and a Chang vest is not appropriate  unless on the beach. 

I saw loads of Thais in their normal daily dress.  Other TV members will no doubt have a different view.

Edited by JAS21

The official government advice to Thais is to wear black -- not some kind of legal requirement, but just a showing of mourning. People will make their own individual choices.

For non-Thais, of course, anyone choosing to wear black to share in the mourning would be perfectly appropriate. So would black with some element of white.

But for those who don't have that kind of attire or don't choose to wear it, at least remember that the coming month is an official period of national mourning, and people in general are expected to show respect for that in how they present themselves.

I certainly didnt notice any difference amongst thais here in Phuket today. Maybe one in ten was wearing black and people were laughing and shouting and driving obscenely loud motorbikes at extreme speeds just as every other day.

15 hours ago, JAS21 said:

The black dress is for Government workers.  Today, in Bangkok I actually went out in dark trousers and a white shirt 'polo' shirt, just in case.  Mrs Jas tells me that light coloures trousers and light coloured shirt is more than enough. Probably coloured shorts and a Chang vest is not appropriate  unless on the beach. 

I saw loads of Thais in their normal daily dress.  Other TV members will no doubt have a different view.

I saw something worth mentioning regarding that when I drove from and to work yesterday and the same when I was out this morning.

90% wore black, white or grey yesterday. It's not the percentage that is important, it can be half in different places, it was less this morning and it will drop soon, not the point. What is the point is that every single one who did not follow black, white or grey that I saw were lower to middle working class or wore some kind of uniform

This is pure simple respect. I don't think that we should look at the first Thai's changing and follow that.

I have one single set of black and white... I asked around in the office yesterday and all expected everybody to wear the colours the whole next week. Suppose I have to wash every day... 

15 hours ago, JAS21 said:

The black dress is for Government workers

No it is not, it is the colour of respect during mourning

Edited by MikeyIdea

I didn't go out yesterday, but today noticed that about 50% of people are wearing black or black and white.

Having finally found a black (albeit sleeveless) top and white 'shirt' to cover the sleeveless top, I noticed that most Thais appreciated that I'd dressed in black trousers, a black top, with a white over-top.  i.e. in they they were more friendly than usual.

Consequently, my best 'advice' is to dress conservatively - don't worry too much about black/white - although if you have those clothes it would be better.  If you don't have those clothes, just dress respectfully - as you would when going to Immigration etc.

I was in Phuket Town earlier, then Central Festival.  Most but not all Thai people are wearing black, white or muted colours unless in work clothing.  Most non-Thai people I saw were doing the same.  The few people in bright colours at Central really did stand out.

Nobody is likely to complain if you don't wear muted colours while out and about, but Thai people do notice when foreigners choose to show a little effort and respect the local feelings.  I don't mean finding an all-black outfit, we are not expected to be in mourning.  Just dressing respectfully and avoiding loud colours, especially for the next week or so.  The need for modest clothing in Government buildings or near sacred sites will be greater than usual for the foreseeable future

Most Thai's who are at home today and not at work are saving their best black and white clothes for next week. Most are wearing other dull coloured shirts and T-shirts. They fully respect the mourning period but are being practical. I too am saving my black and white tops for next week.

As for buying more I am going to wait. Seems like panic buying at the moment. Don't want to be out in a crowd arguing over the price of a shirt.

Edited by Wilsonandson

A little bit of decorum, ie, sober attire and demeanor, is expected, as it should be. My fear is the yobbos, drongos, meatheads and assorted bogans - how will they behave after a few days of being under pressure to play civilized in party town Pattaya (and the other areas). Last night (Friday), it was pretty subdued along Beach Rd, Buakhaow and Walking Street - raunchy places shut, but plenty of beer bars doing quiet trade with lights way down. All the foreigners I saw were being respectful.

30 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Most Thai's who are at home today and not at work are saving their best black and white clothes for next week. Most are wearing other dull coloured shirts and T-shirts. They fully respect the mourning period but are being practical. I too am saving my black and white tops for next week.

As for buying more I am going to wait. Seems like panic buying at the moment. Don't want to be out in a crowd arguing over the price of a shirt.

Why next week? I thought the official day of mourning was the 14th and the actual state funeral is not for a YEAR. 

43 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

I plan to do the same. Some at the office planned to wear black, white, grey for the whole 30 days, I think it will be more like 2-3 weeks but still too long without filling up the wardrobe a bit

40 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

When 'out and about' today I saw many with bright (even close to Hawaian type) clothes.

Somehow I know that the Thais are worrying less about this than we are....

Even so, we already stand out - so better to wear conservative clothes - preferably black/white - if you have them.

If you don't have them, then office type clothes will make you less conspicuous as an appalling foreigner - to those that know you as an 'expat'.

It needs to be remembered that whilst Thais can be forgiven for not dressing respectfully - they will judge us far more harshly.

4 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

I saw something worth mentioning regarding that when I drove from and to work yesterday and the same when I was out this morning.

90% wore black, white or grey yesterday. It's not the percentage that is important, it can be half in different places, it was less this morning and it will drop soon, not the point. What is the point is that every single one who did not follow black, white or grey that I saw were lower to middle working class or wore some kind of uniform

This is pure simple respect. I don't think that we should look at the first Thai's changing and follow that.

I have one single set of black and white... I asked around in the office yesterday and all expected everybody to wear the colours the whole next week. Suppose I have to wash every day... 

No it is not, it is the colour of respect during mourning

Ok I didn't put it too well ...Government Officers have been told to wear black at work for I believe the next year.

Today nearly everyone that I saw had at least half their clothing black or very dark and many all black. Lots had a white top and black trousers or skirt.

Many in the Mall yesterday and today buying black clothing. Black and white striped tops appeared popular.

I didn't go out yesterday.

Had to go shopping today - black shirt and shorts. Weirdly, I seemed to get occasional attention from Thai people. 

Young farangs appeared to make no effort at sombre dress; older ones 30% maybe.

It's not much effort and I think we all consider the king to have been above average, monarch-wise.

A tip from me:-
At home i.e the street you live in you can wear dull coloured clothes.
Away from your street, say a trip to the 7/11 or local market. Black or white t-shirt fine.
In a busy public place, shopping mall, main street, supermarket, railway station, etc... Smart black/white attire, trousers, full respect needed
This is what I assume. But the official line is black/white smart everywhere.

A troll post has been removed. 

Maybe this will help:

Advice for tourists and expats in Thailand during the mourning period

While it is not a requirement for foreign tourists or expats to wear black or white clothes during the mourning period, it is advisable at the very least not to wear bright or vibrant coloured clothes. 

I also thought some Thai people may take offense to a farang outwardly showing so much respect.  Also, I only own a couple of pieces of black clothing.

So, I have a small piece of black material that I will pin to my clothing everyday.

In my opinion, it shows respect, without trying to overdo it, but each to their own.