Freak accident kills farmer as tire explodes in his face

webfact

Freak accident kills farmer as tire explodes in his face

441.jpg

Image: Thairath

KAMPHANGPHET: -- A farmer was killed in a freak accident yesterday in Kamphangphet when a tractor tire exploded.

Bunrot Khamkasikam,56, was putting air in the tire on the front left of his hand held tractor when it exploded.

The wheel rim became detached from its fixings and hit him in the face killing him instantly.

The victims sister in law said that he had just been in the fields putting some fertilizer out and after coming back for som lunch he went to do some maintenance on the tractor.

She hear a great explosion and rushed out to find him dead in a pool of blood.

The body was found some two meters away from the vehicle with multiple fractures of an arm and extensive wounds to the face.

The accident happened in the Nikhom Thung Pho Thalee district of the north western Thai province.

Bunrot farmed some 25 rai in the area. The accident happened while his wife was out visiting relatives in Chonburi.

Police suggested that the farmer was putting in the air without using a gauge and overfilled it causing it to explode.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-17

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tyre-pressure........as soon as a bike-repair guy starts filling up my tyres I  step away.

Those people fill up until the compressor can't cope anymore.

But for cars it's similar. There are only a few people who respect the prescribed tyre pressure of approx. 20-23, but most go to 30-35 (is it psi?)

10 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Tyre-pressure........as soon as a bike-repair guy starts filling up my tyres I  step away.

But for cars it's similar. There are only a few people who respect the prescribed tyre pressure of approx. 20-23, but most go to 30-35 (is it psi?)

Prescribed tyre pressure are for cold conditions. One would have to fill to a higher pressure during a journey.

If anyone puts air in my tires I immediately go check and let the pressure down to what the tires require.

I keep my truck at 40, my ATV only needs only 5. But  when my ATV comes back from the dealer they have them back to 30.  They sell them that way and they drive like crap until you take the excess air out. I am quite sure this is why they don't sell too many.

34 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Yeah they love their tire pressure and tight lug nuts. Impact gun those babies on at like 300lbs.

24 minutes ago, trogers said:

Prescribed tyre pressure are for cold conditions. One would have to fill to a higher pressure during a journey.

I think you are a bit misinformed. Even in cold conditions (where in Thailand barring the summit of Doi Inthanon?), tyres will naturally increase pressure due to road resistance/heat transfer when the vehicle they are rolling is driven... when you next go for a drive, put your hand on one of the tyres at destination, you'll see what I mean.

When I bought my Vigo, tyres has 56psi, I kid you not! Absolutely deadly in the heat/rain at those pressures. Should be 29 all round. I think they do it through the misconception that it makes the vehicle look taller, that they won't have to pump up as frequently, and of course that there will be a less fuel consumption. All nuts.

This also happens in the UK and other places and is a clear case of human error. Surprised it doesn't happen more here. RIP all the same. 

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

I think you are a bit misinformed. Even in cold conditions (where in Thailand barring the summit of Doi Inthanon?), tyres will naturally increase pressure due to road resistance/heat transfer when the vehicle they are rolling is driven... when you next go for a drive, put your hand on one of the tyres at destination, you'll see what I mean.

When I bought my Vigo, tyres has 56psi, I kid you not! Absolutely deadly in the heat/rain at those pressures. Should be 29 all round. I think they do it through the misconception that it makes the vehicle look taller, that they won't have to pump up as frequently, and of course that there will be a less fuel consumption. All nuts.

This also happens in the UK and other places and is a clear case of human error. Surprised it doesn't happen more here. RIP all the same. 

I would fill my tyres in the morning at the kiosk 1 km from my home to the prescribed 28 psi.

Should I have driven 50 km to a kiosk on my way to the province, I would fill them to 32 psi as the tyres are hot at that point. Filling them to prescribed pressure when hot is not accurate.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

One shouldn't need to check tyre pressures mid-journey unless one's tyres are obviously losing pressure and then one needs to get them repaired.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Same experience here. Picked up my new Triton and couldn't believe how harsh the drive home was. Checked the pressures in the tyres and every one was over 60 psi. First service I told the service manager and was met with a grin and shrug of the shoulders. For some reason people love to ignore the manufacturers specs here and massively over inflate.

7 minutes ago, trogers said:

I would fill my tyres in the morning at the kiosk 1 km from my home to the prescribed 28 psi.

Should I have driven 50 km to a kiosk on my way to the province, I would fill them to 32 psi as the tyres are hot at that point. Filling them to prescribed pressure when hot is not accurate.

You buy a cheap 12V compressor and separate gauge at Tesco's, around 1000bht..

Check pressures first thing in the morning so tyres are cold to the correct pressures which are shown on a sticker on the drivers side door jam.

Pressures INCREASE when the ride is used when the tyres warm up..

7 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

One shouldn't need to check tyre pressures mid-journey unless one's tyres are obviously losing pressure and then one needs to get them repaired.

You can control your own car, but not one of a friend, especially a lady friend, when they pick you up for the journey.

I keep a close check on the PSI on the Forza , 25 front  29 rear. but when it goes to GWH for a service in goes the air despite me saying ok air mai me. Usually get home to find they are both about 40 PSI. But I think they have a not so valid reason for doing this. While waiting outside for bike I have seen old boys on their even older Honda Waves going in just for air , the guys working there are polite but they don't want the same old Somchai coming back every week , soooo lots of air in Wave and wave bye bye for another 2 months.

I take long trips on my CB300f and Forza 300cc. The FIRST thing I do before starting the engine us to check tire pressure. If it's at the correct setting, I DEFLATE it by 2 psi. I might drive for 4 to 8 hours at a time, and the last thing I want is a blow out from over inflated tires at 120kph on the Forza, or 140-150kph on the CB300f. 

21 minutes ago, vincent13 said:

The Bridgestone Duelers on my Vigo state 50 PSI cold. I have always inflated to 40 PSI and never had a problem with handling in wet or dry conditions or with uneven tyre wear. The back tyres have done about 85,000 km.

YOUR tyre pressures should be 29 psi if it has 265/70x16's..

Open your drivers door and read the sticker, let me know what it says..

Edited by transam

27 minutes ago, vincent13 said:

The Bridgestone Duelers on my Vigo state 50 PSI cold. I have always inflated to 40 PSI and never had a problem with handling in wet or dry conditions or with uneven tyre wear. The back tyres have done about 85,000 km.

50PSI might be maximum pressure that that tire can take. It is not operating pressure on a Vigo. As Transam says, check the door jam / manual. 40 and 50 PSI are both too much.

Over-inflated tires will wear in the center, under-inflated with wear on the outside edges. Manufacturers give a recommended pressure to maximize grip while minimizing wear by keeping it even across the width of the tread. Pressure has a direct impact on this.

I have never seen a tractor with split rims but this is not even a tractor it is an iron buffalo.Two wheeled tractor,no split rims.

Maybe a case of old dried out tires and they could not handle the pressure.

56 minutes ago, transam said:

YOUR tyre pressures should be 29 psi if it has 265/70x16's..

Open your drivers door and read the sticker, let me know what it says..

Apologies, I inadvertently misled you.

It's a Hilux Tiger 4WD - don't know where I got Vigo from!

The tyres say 31x10.50R15LT.

The sticker inside the door is in Thai and makes little sense to me. It does have figures of 28(1.9) and 35(2.5).

Obviously I'm a novice when it comes to tyres. As I said before though, no uneven wear after 85,000 km on rear tyres (they were formerly on the front).

1 minute ago, vincent13 said:

Apologies, I inadvertently misled you.

It's a Hilux Tiger 4WD - don't know where I got Vigo from!

The tyres say 31x10.50R15LT.

The sticker inside the door is in Thai and makes little sense to me. It does have figures of 28(1.9) and 35(2.5).

Obviously I'm a novice when it comes to tyres. As I said before though, no uneven wear after 85,000 km on rear tyres (they were formerly on the front).

Those tyres are not radials........:sad:......Perhaps not original fitment.....

The two figures could be for loaded and unloaded ORIGINAL fitted tyres.......

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Those tyres are not radials........:sad:......Perhaps not original fitment.....

The two figures could be for loaded and unloaded ORIGINAL fitted tyres.......

They're steel belted tubeless radials but certainly not the originals. The car is a 2001 model. 

Any ideas about appropriateness of 40 PSI for these tyres?

That 28is PSI and the 1.9 is BAR. Likewise, 35PSI or 2.5BAR.

The difference is unloaded and loaded. If your using your truck as a family sedan, 28PSI is enough. If you are filling it with engine parts or watermelons, then 35PSI. But the pressure should always remain between these two figures depending on load, not 40 or 50PSI.

I'd suggest setting 33 on the front which is invariably heavier most of the time and 32 on the back. This would be a good average for normal driving and occasional loads in the bed. You might find you have suddenly more traction than you were used to at 40-50PSI as well. :)

4 minutes ago, vincent13 said:

They're steel belted tubeless radials but certainly not the originals. The car is a 2001 model. 

Any ideas about appropriateness of 40 PSI for these tyres?

From memory tyres with that size rating were cross ply's...But if you say they print radial on the side wall I stand corrected...:smile: