The Chinese are coming..........NOT

Anthony5

A few weeks ago i read a topic in the news forum from a government official who said that the Chinese gonna save Thailand tourism.

However I can't get rid of the impression that for the past 3 weeks or so I notice only about 20% of the buses that were on the road before.

Quite a relieve I would say.

I also notice that some hotels along the highway 7, quite recently built that cater to the Chinese tourists, are now virtually empty. Before I would always notice clothes hanging on the balconies, but now none of that, and just a very few lights on if any.

So am I wrong in my observation that the Chinese have now followed the Russians in their disappearance from Pattaya?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've mostly gone from Thappraya Road nightly parking too. I think the place has improved considerably without them.

The recipients of all that money from Zero Dollar tours must have made staggering (seemingly Thai tax-free) sums off them - which is why they were finally clamped down on, I guess.

I think with the toning down of festivities there have been cancelations. I was in walking St when the event happened and you should have seen the looks on the flag followers when the lights went out.
Let's face it without festivities what else does Pattaya have to offer

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, mcfish said:

I think with the toning down of festivities there have been cancelations. I was in walking St when the event happened and you should have seen the looks on the flag followers when the lights went out.
Let's face it without festivities what else does Pattaya have to offer

Nothing to do with the recent event, it has been going on for about 3 weeks at least I estimate, and there was actually a Chinese national holiday week early October.

As I live near highway 36 where the big NGV station is where the buses fill up, normally there would always be a queue of buses that extended way on the road, but not any more.

2 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

A few weeks ago i read a topic in the news forum from a government official who said that the Chinese gonna save Thailand tourism.

However I can't get rid of the impression that for the past 3 weeks or so I notice only about 20% of the buses that were on the road before.

So you have driven around for the last 3 weeks counting buses (That only carry Chinese) & have come to the conclusion from your figures that there is a 80% drop in tourism.

Oh that and lack of the amount of Chinese washing hung out ------:omfg:

And to think that some people question the way TAT does surveys...

Here's a link for you Anthony--more Chinese Tourist in the 2nd quarter (up to July 2016) then ever before - forward figures from China that this will continue, they can give these figures to TAT because, unlike Farangs, most Chinese come with tour companies. They quite often book their holidays up to a year ahead.

Wouldn't it be easier Anthony----that if you do not like any tourist other than Farangs  ---then Just don't chose to live in a place that it seems will become the top Tourist destination in Thailand for those visitors.

Failing that you can always forward your scientific analysis on hung out washing & counting buses to  TAT 

http://www.tatnews.org/thai-pm-thanks-chinese-tourists-for-choosing-thailand-as-arrivals-reach-record-numbers/

Image result for chinese washing

Edited by oxo1947

5 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

So you have driven around for the last 3 weeks counting buses (That only carry Chinese) & have come to the conclusion from your figures that there is a 80% drop in tourism.

Oh that and lack of the amount of Chinese washing hung out ------:omfg:

And to think that some people question the way TAT does surveys...

Here's a link for you Anthoney--more Chinese Tourist in the 2nd quarter (up to July 2016) then ever before - forward figures from China that this will continue, they can give these figures to TAT because, unlike Farangs, most Chinese come with tour companies. They quite often book their holidays up to a year ahead.

Wouldn't it be easier Anthony----that if you do not like any tourist other than Farangs  ---Just don't chose to live in a place that it seems will become the top Tourist destination in Thailand for visitors.

Failing that you can forward your scientific analysis on washing/bus count to TAT 

http://www.tatnews.org/thai-pm-thanks-chinese-tourists-for-choosing-thailand-as-arrivals-reach-record-numbers/

Thanks for you insightful expert contribution.

No I haven't been driving around counting buses, but previously whenever you were in the traffic jam on Nua road or Sukhumvit there would be plenty of buses in front and behind you. Recently that is not the case anymore.

Also as I said that I live near the NGV station where ALL the buses fill up and the queues, that have been there for years, have disappeared in the past few weeks.

The hotels along highway 7 that cater to the Chinese tourists, I pass at least 4 times each and every day of which 2 times at night, so it takes only a turn of my head to see if there are lights on in the rooms or not.

No need to drive around to observe all that, but how would you know, if you're even not anywhere near Pattaya.

It's also common knowledge that since the Russians left almost 2 years ago, the majority of those buses were populated by Chinese, so someone with a single brain cell can assume that a reduction in buses amounts to a reduction in Chinese tourists.

Anyone with a little common sense will also realise that the seizure of OA bus company, which I assume owned over a thousand buses, will be easily visible on the road since that isn't replaced in 1-2-3.

Thanks also for pointing out the figures UP TO JULY 2016 but you may, or may not, have noticed that that's almost 4 months ago and I'm talking about the past 3 -4 WEEKS.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

Thanks also for pointing out the figures UP TO JULY 2016 but you may, or may not, have noticed that that's almost 4 months ago and I'm talking about the past 3 -4 WEEKS.

I am willing to wait & come back to this thread in 6 weeks Anthony --or will I be faced with another "but you don't know the gas station I am talking about thread.

Yer I lived for 8 years in Pattaya ---boom times then,-- been in the Markland on Soi 1 on a short stay --1 month--catching up with friends...(who all seem to disagree with your scientific analysis-by the way)  . Its not a matter of where I live Anthony-- I just don't take Statistics on how many buses behind me in a queue , how much washing hanging out of a window.

Posters like you always think its funny when TAT post figures ----there lying ---its not true, & then we are suppose to believe that you know there is a 80%........think about that figure Anthony...80% drop......

I can understand you not happy with the amount of tourism where you live--- do what I done, move somewhere --else, its still affected , just to a lesser extent.

In that thread your see that it (Chinese tourism) has gone up 20.54 percent 4 months ago--I will be down seeing friends in Jan, (have a condo in Ban Chang)  like to bet a few  beers that Ch Tourism hadn't dropped by 80% in Sept/Oct.....??

Try not to mix up what you wish with what is reality Anthony.........:coffee1:

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

No I haven't been driving around counting buses, but previously whenever you were in the traffic jam on Nua road or Sukhumvit there would be plenty of buses in front and behind you. Recently that is not the case anymore.

Well that's it then, No buses in front of you or behind you, no washing. They must have cut their holiday short and all gone home. Please tell me you don't work in Thailand with anything to do with figures.

43 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I am willing to wait & come back to this thread in 6 weeks Anthony --or will I be faced with another "but you don't know the gas station I am talking about thread.

Yer I lived for 8 years in Pattaya ---boom times then,-- been in the Markland on Soi 1 on a short stay --1 month--catching up with friends...(who all seem to disagree with your scientific analysis-by the way)  . Its not a matter of where I live Anthony-- I just don't take Statistics on how many buses behind me in a queue , how much washing hanging out of a window.

Posters like you always think its funny when TAT post figures ----there lying ---its not true, & then we are suppose to believe that you know there is a 80%........think about that figure Anthony...80% drop......

I can understand you not happy with the amount of tourism where you live--- do what I done, move somewhere --else, its still affected , just to a lesser extent.

In that thread your see that it (Chinese tourism) has gone up 20.54 percent 4 months ago--I will be down seeing friends in Jan, (have a condo in Ban Chang)  like to bet a few  beers that Ch Tourism hadn't dropped by 80% in Sept/Oct.....??

Try not to mix up what you wish with what is reality Anthony.........:coffee1:

Sorry to spoil it for you, but I couldn't care less how tourism is going in Pattaya, since I live 15 km outside Pattaya. You should have noticed that already from what I wrote higher up in this thread.

I only post my observations, and I of course enjoy the less traffic congestion lately.

From my home I can observe 1 of the main attractions for the Asian tourists, and pass daily by another of the major attractions, and I only can see that there are way less buses in the past 3 - 4 weeks., and that include the week long Chinese national holiday

But hey you observe it all from hundreds of kilometers distance, isn't it?

I'm sure you must have read of the numerous clamp downs on the zero Baht tourism lately, which include the seizure of the major bus company. This company had more than a 1000 buses in the run, which are now stationary

How do you think they solved that in just a few weeks time?

1 minute ago, Anthony5 said:

But hey you observe it all from hundreds of kilometers distance, isn't it?

No Anthony, one can not observe  from 100s of kilometers distance --or from looking at peoples washing-- & that's the whole point of my answer.

80% drop.......80%....I think you are OTT. but time will tell Anthony, you can always come back to me if there are only 20% of the tourist they had last year.....of course you may report of a sudden out burst of washing appearing that wasn't there last week............:coffee1:

6 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

No Anthony, one can not observe  from 100s of kilometers distance --or from looking at peoples washing-- & that's the whole point of my answer.

80% drop.......80%....I think you are OTT. but time will tell Anthony, you can always come back to me if there are only 20% of the tourist they had last year.....of course you may report of a sudden out burst of washing appearing that wasn't there last week............:coffee1:

I have no idea what your bait is supposed to mean, but did I say there are 80% less Chines tourists THIS YEAR? No I didn't.

Did I say there WILL be a drop of 80% this year? Again I didn't.

I posted what I observed in the past 3 weeks, and unless you have spent the majority of your time in Pattaya during those 3 weeks, your comments are worth nothing.

Byeeeeee

5 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

I only see  20%---so take away  20% from 100% =leaves=  80% drop

"Did I say there WILL be a drop of 80% this year"

No you didn't say there will be Anthony-- you said there already Is--with the heading--

The Chinese are coming..........NOT

So the Chines are not coming---???---why don't we leave it at that, until the end of year figures, its not so long to wait.You can then measure up your observations on the hanging out of washing-against the Airline figures......who knows Anthony, maybe your right.

This thread is pure gold lol. It's brilliant that TV experts have dismissed TAT stats as being rigged so we now revert back to the trusted and indisputable method of counting undies and bras and the buses and Im hoping a click counter is being used.. Would hate to start all over again if I got interrupted

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

This thread is pure gold lol. It's brilliant that TV experts have dismissed TAT stats as being rigged so we now revert back to the trusted and indisputable method of counting undies and bras and the buses and Im hoping a click counter is being used.. Would hate to start all over again if I got interrupted

We all know we can trust the government isn't it?

It's the same government that said there will be no floods this year, and said there will be elections in 2014, 2015, 2016 and now maybe 2017.

It's the same government that says there is no inflation and price rises are just in the imagination of people, the same government that says foreign investment is on the increase, and all governments understand.

So yes, TAT figures have a good chance of being credible.............NOT

5 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I hope crow is your favorite dish, because it is served right now.

They claimed Pattaya saw 50% drop this year in the arrival of Chinese tourists.

Pattaya Tourism and Business Association president Sinchai Watanasatsatorn said the Chines long weekend or Golden Week from October 1-9 has seen up to 50% drop in Chinese tourists when their hotel bookings fell drastically by half when compared with last year’s Golden Week.

Well for what it is worth I do see (from only my perspective and a relatively small statistical sample I hasten to add) lots more small groups of Chinese staying in rented houses in a moo baan, couples wandering up and down third road by themselves  and guys out and about in clubs and gogo bars...... which I hardly ever used to see before.......

Sign of things to come or temporary aberration.......:smile:

2 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

We all know we can trust the government isn't it?

It's the same government that said there will be no floods this year, and said there will be elections in 2014, 2015, 2016 and now maybe 2017.

It's the same government that says there is no inflation and price rises are just in the imagination of people, the same government that says foreign investment is on the increase, and all governments understand.

So yes, TAT figures have a good chance of being credible.............NOT

Right on !

Sometimes I get more amusement out of government statistics and reports, than looking at the cartoon section of the newspaper.
Cheers.

5 minutes ago, morrobay said:

You wouldn't know it, given the number of tourists I've seen walking around in the day. Also, when I was trying to find a place to stay a while, some hotel staff were pretty arrogant, and frankly some were asking too much in a low guest period. In the place I did stay with a one week discount, when I asked about staying longer I was told there was no discount, perhaps because they thought high season was here, but no reason for me to stay longer, so I left.

Given recent events, I expect there won't be an influx of western tourists this year. I don't envy hotel owners.

20 hours ago, topt said:

Well for what it is worth I do see (from only my perspective and a relatively small statistical sample I hasten to add) lots more small groups of Chinese staying in rented houses in a moo baan, couples wandering up and down third road by themselves  and guys out and about in clubs and gogo bars...... which I hardly ever used to see before.......

Sign of things to come or temporary aberration.......:smile:

Good observation... and exactly the same thing happened with the Russians. The Russian charter fights to U-Tapao dried up and the mobs being bused from hotel to mall to restaurant to ladyboy show all disappeared. But there are still plenty Russians in the area, typically small families, either renting or living in the condo's they bought when they realized that Putin not being a "people person" didn't do the ruble any good. There's plenty Chinese renting or buying as they too seek to get/keep their money out of China for possibly similar reasons. The bigger real estate agencies have even hired Chinese-speaking staff to address this market.