Gun Laws in Thailand

9 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

The only thing left is to clear then is if more guns increase violence and the severity of violence. What is your opinion there?  

Whats your point? You think everyone should give up their guns? How will it work? Regular americans that have a gun or 2 and don't commit crimes will be the only ones that give them up. Criminals will still be criminals with guns. 

You keep on and on and on about more guns = more violence. 

I mean honestly, what you are saying makes no sense whatsoever. Increases the severity of violence??? Dont be a criminal. Dont assault people. Dont get your ass shot off. Its nobodys fault but the criminal. 

13 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

I am glad that you agree that guns don't matter to reduce burglaries

They DO matter and they DO reduce burglaries. What are you missing here? If you are a criminal, you will not only have to worry about arrest, but death by homeowner as well. Whats hard to understand about this? 

You just refuse to see it. The vast majority of americans that have guns, don't commit crimes and you want innocent, law abiding people to give them up. 

Honestly man, you just don't make any sense and don't even try to objectively look at this. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zd1 said:

Your last sentence is also rather worrying, what else are you using your gun for if not for hunting and target shooting, you state that is makes it kind of pointless unless you just want to plink targets, really what else do you use it for?

A gun is for defense. Its not a weapon of baby-killing. Its not gonna self destruct. Its a defense weapon. 

If you want to own a gun as a novelty, then by all means go for it. 

If your gun is dictated (by the government) to be locked up in a mini safe unloaded, ammo in another mini safe, keys in another room, then you will not ever be able to use it in an emergency. Thats the whole point of having a gun. Being able to use it to defend yourself in an emergency. 

Unlike in the UK, most of US have a gun incase we need to defend ourselves. Thats what its used for. Clearly, you guys are incapable of understanding this and think that a grown adult is incapable of safe handling of a firearm. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Strange said:

Unlike in the UK, most of US have a gun incase we need to defend ourselves. Thats what its used for. Clearly, you guys are incapable of understanding this and think that a grown adult is incapable of safe handling of a firearm. 

I found this CBS article for you below it shows that some grown adults are incapable of safe handling of a firearm, it also points out that having a gun could be more dangerous than not having one because offenders take into account the threat posed by adversaries.

Americans are 10 times more likely to be killed by guns than people in other developed countries, a new study finds.

Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the United States' gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher. And, even though the United States' suicide rate is similar to other countries, the nation's gun-related suicide rate is eight times higher than other high-income countries, researchers said.

The study was published online Feb. 1 in The American Journal of Medicine.

"Overall, our results show that the U.S., which has the most firearms per capita in the world, suffers disproportionately from firearms compared with other high-income countries," said study author Erin Grinshteyn, an assistant professor at the School of Community Health Science at the University of Nevada-Reno. "These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us," she said in a journal news release.

The review of 2010 World Health Organization data also revealed that despite having a similar rate of nonlethal crimes as those countries, the United States has a much higher rate of deadly violence, mostly due to the higher rate of gun-related murders.

The researchers also found that compared to people in the other high-income nations, Americans are seven times more likely to die from violence and six times more likely to be accidentally killed with a gun.

"More than two-thirds of the homicides in the U.S. are firearm homicides and studies have suggested that the non-gun homicide rate in the U.S. may be high because the gun homicide rate is high," Grinshteyn said.

"For example, offenders take into account the threat posed by their adversaries. Individuals are more likely to have lethal intent if they anticipate that their adversaries will be armed," she explained.

Even though it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the United States accounted for 82 percent of all gun deaths. The United States also accounted for 90 percent of all women killed by guns, the study found. Ninety-one percent of children under 14 who died by gun violence were in the United States. And 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed by guns were in the United States, the study found.

gun-death-rates-chart.jpg

Erin Grinshteyn, David Hemenway/The American Journal of Medicine
Murder is the second leading cause of death among Americans aged 15 to 24, the study found. The research also showed that murder was the third leading cause of death among those aged 25-34. Compared to those in the same age groups in other wealthy countries, Americans aged 15-24 are 49 times more likely to be the victim of a gun-related murder. For those aged 25-34, that number is 32 times more likely, the research revealed.
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Strange said:

So you don't care about whats going on in the USA you just want to push your simple minded judgement onto others. 

Got it. 

No, I actually meant exactly what I wrote

I know that many Americans are quite unaware of how the rest of the world sees them and I just wanted to convey that message

I don't have another underlying agenda

21 minutes ago, zd1 said:

I found this CBS article for you below it shows that some grown adults are incapable of safe handling of a firearm, it also points out that having a gun could be more dangerous than not having one because offenders take into account the threat posed by adversaries.

Shows that "Some Grown Adults" 

and "Could be more dangerous"

Again, what is your solution? Criminals are out there. They are armed. Law abiding people give up their guns and let criminals have their stuff/assault/rape whatever? 

Have police storm the streets searching and seizing everyone and their homes for weapons? Unconstitutionally? Throw away like the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 10th amendments in the process? 

1 hour ago, MikeyIdea said:

I am glad that you agree that guns don't matter to reduce burglaries

My answer above was to a statement to 212Roger where he agreed with me that guns don't matter to reduce burglaries. Or 212Roger had a reading comprehension problem or tried to be witty but failed to because he himself supported my opinion by comparing cities where the more violent one has nearly double the unemployment rate. I on the other hand did not try to be witty, nearly double the unemployment rate talks for itself

1 hour ago, Strange said:

They DO matter and they DO reduce burglaries. What are you missing here?

You are missing that I never replied to you. Please continue to have your opinion

1 hour ago, MikeyIdea said:

The only thing left is to clear then is if more guns increase violence and the severity of violence. What is your opinion there?

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Whats your point?

I don't have a hidden agenda. I think that more guns increase violence and especially the severity of the violence. I asked 212Roger what he thinks. You can answer too if you want.

I understand your belief to be that more guns neither increase violence nor the severity of the violence but I'd be glad if you could give me your opinion yourself

1 minute ago, MikeyIdea said:

I understand your belief to be that more guns neither increase violence nor the severity of the violence but I'd be glad if you could give me your opinion yourself

Where are you getting this whole "more guns" thing? 

Like, all of a sudden in the US guns just multiplied or something? They have always been there. 

Again, all you guys want is for me or someone else to agree with your blanket assumptions without any solution to actual criminal violence or criminal activity. 

Not gonna happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

You are missing that I never replied to you. Please continue to have your opinion

I see that you were trying to childishly corner 212Roger in semantics and pulling what he said out of context. 

I will continue and don't need your permission. 

31 minutes ago, Strange said:

Like, all of a sudden in the US guns just multiplied or something? They have always been there. 

That's why most kids in the western world played cowboys and indians with play guns when they were young. Yes of course they have always been there

30 minutes ago, Strange said:

see that you were trying to childishly corner 212Roger in semantics and pulling what he said out of context.

I am not pulling what he said out of context. He did answer yes to when I stated my opinion. I don't think that  212Roger is childish for doing that, I think that he meant yes when he said yes to my opinion that guns don't reduce burglaries

Edited by MikeyIdea

4 hours ago, Strange said:

Whats your point? You think everyone should give up their guns? How will it work? Regular americans that have a gun or 2 and don't commit crimes will be the only ones that give them up. Criminals will still be criminals with guns. 

You keep on and on and on about more guns = more violence. 

I mean honestly, what you are saying makes no sense whatsoever. Increases the severity of violence??? Dont be a criminal. Dont assault people. Dont get your ass shot off. Its nobodys fault but the criminal. 

They DO matter and they DO reduce burglaries. What are you missing here? If you are a criminal, you will not only have to worry about arrest, but death by homeowner as well. Whats hard to understand about this? 

You just refuse to see it. The vast majority of americans that have guns, don't commit crimes and you want innocent, law abiding people to give them up. 

Honestly man, you just don't make any sense and don't even try to objectively look at this. 

My man, "Strange," thank you for answering my question for me.  Well done!  I find  the opposing argument too tedious and hardly worth it...  Again, I concur with "Strange."  As the old adage goes,  "Who's the idiot?  The idiot, or me arguing with the idiot?"  Nothing personal...    

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 212Roger said:

My man, "Strange," thank you for answering my question for me.  Well done!  I find  the opposing argument too tedious and hardly worth it...  Again, I concur with "Strange."  As the old adage goes,  "Who's the idiot?  The idiot, or me arguing with the idiot?"  Nothing personal...    

212Roger, you are contradicting yourself. In one post you say yes to my opinion that guns don't reduce burglaries and in another you say that it reduces burglaries

Which one of your two opinions do you stand for?

Edited by MikeyIdea

Just now, MikeyIdea said:

212Roger, you are contradicting yourself. In one post you say yes to my opinion that guns don't reduce burglaries and in another you say that it reduces burglaries

Which one of your two opinions do you mean?

Perhaps I misunderstood your post and/or read it wrongly.  But, I do NOT believe "guns reduce burglaries."  Quite the opposite.  If burglars believe or feel you do not have a gun to protect your belongings and your family, they will definitely burglarize your house before a house where they think and believe you do have a gun..  This is pure and simple logic.

37 minutes ago, 212Roger said:

Perhaps I misunderstood your post and/or read it wrongly.  But, I do NOT believe "guns reduce burglaries."  Quite the opposite.  If burglars believe or feel you do not have a gun to protect your belongings and your family, they will definitely burglarize your house before a house where they think and believe you do have a gun..  This is pure and simple logic.

Thanks for clarifying. I have been looking for statistics that can prove either of us right. I can only find that more or less violence and burglary is linked to misery, especially unemployment. Both you and Strange were quick to find a sample where nearly double the unemployment rate coincide with violence and burglary. I have asked for statistics where we cannot see the other links I mentioned. I find several articles linking unemployment so that seem to be a stronger driver than low average income 

On 02/11/2016 at 10:45 PM, MikeyIdea said:

I'd like to read statistics proving that relaxed gun control = more guns in cities is reducing burglaries in those cities where we also cannot see the other links I mentioned. I'm open and want to know, please show me

There it is. I got no answer. Can you find me 2 cities where nearly double the unemployment rate and loose gun laws coincide with less violence?

Find me that sample and I will study it and learn from it

Thanks

Edited by MikeyIdea

• 4 weeks later...

Found this : http://www.gunandguy.net/PROMOTIONS-สินค้าราคาพิเศษ

Unfortunately they don't have the GHOST model that has the advantage to have a removable magazine.

It seems there is a street in Bangkok where you can find everything related to guns and ammunition. I will have a look I may find the gun I'm looking for. And if it's my lucky day I may even get the address of a good shooting range.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016 at 5:53 PM, GarryP said:

In that case, do you know whether the average gun shop sells air rifles here. I thought they mainly sold hand guns (Wang Burapha district). 

There are a few shops in Wang Burapha selling air pistols and rifles, Garry, but mainly the expensive sort that are used Olympic and SE Asian Games type shooting competitions.  M Hakimi is one and has Morini air pistols from Switzerland on its website.  Other shops have Steyr from Austria. I don't know the prices, as I am not an air gun shooter but you are looking at B100k plus.  The Morini air pistols are around US$1,700 in the US without the Thai mark-ups.  You need to get a high pressure pump and pump it many times harder than a bicycle tyre or fill up SCUBA tanks for these PCP air guns. They are not like the spring operated Diana air pistols that used to be advertised boys papers in the UK in the 60s and 70s.

Licensing requirements are the same as for other guns, i.e. copies of ID card, tabien baan, letter confirming employment and salary, copy of bank book showing at least B50k.  But the fee for an air gun licence is a bit less.  Foreigners usually need PR documents. 

• Like 1

The picture in the OP's post is almost certainly an airsoft gun and these are freely available in Thailand without the US requirement of having an orange tip (after some black teenagers were shot by police there for holding airsoft Glocks).  I have seen airsoft versions of heavy machine guns in stores in Thailand that look just like the real thing. 

War weapons, i.e. real versions of the gun in the OP's post like M16s, AR15s firing centre fire cartridges etc cannot be licensed for civilian use.  However, versions of these weapons that look the same and are the same size but fire rimfire cartridges can be licensed.  These are normally chambered in .22lr.  You can see a lot of M16 style guns chambered in .22lr in store windows in Wang Burapha.  They are semi-auto as full auto is not allowed for civilians.

Civilians in Thailand may also own bolt action rifles in military calibres, such as .308 Win (NATO 7.62mm) or .223 Rem (NATO 5.56mm).  As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, the NATO equivalent cartridges, also used by the Thai military, are almost the same and can be fired in these guns, although the pressures may be somewhat different.  In fact, according to Thai firearms law, civilians are allowed to own handguns and rifles under .50 calibre.  Some Thai civilians own .338 Lapua Magnum rifles similar to the type that are now issued to some US military snipers for ranges out to 1,500 metres.  The ammo for these is hugely expensive and scarce in Thailand though - think about B850 a round.  Handguns up to including .44 magnum and .45 ACP are allowed and commonly available in the stores, although the .44 magnum ammo is a bit scare and expensive. Rifles that fire pistol ammunition, e.g. lever action Marlins and Henries in .357 magnum and .44 magnum are also allowed and commonly available.

There is no requirement in Thai law for a gun permit application to go before a committee or for an applicant to show a certain level of assets, as some have suggested here. However, those living in the provinces may be asked to show things like title deeds.  This is not a legal requirement but local officials making up their own regulations.  You will never be asked for details of property or assets, if you apply in Bangkok where applications are handled by the Interior Ministry which is responsible for enforcing firearms laws.  The process is quite straightforward in Bangkok.  You either tick all the right boxes or you don't.  There is nothing in the law that says foreigners are ineligible to own firearms but Bangkok has usually only issued them to PRs or embassy officials.  Licensing authorities in the provinces often refuse to issue to foreigners at all.

I have posted this for information about gun laws and availability only.  I have no interest in entering a debate about gun control.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2016 at 8:21 PM, JohnnyJazz said:

Does anybody know where to buy Ghost training guns in Thailand, preferably Bangkok  ? Or similar

Ghost Gun.jpg

Also if you have the address of a good shooting range with instructor who can speak english, that would be greatly appreciated.

Why not get yourself an air-soft replica and a couple of spare clips? IMO it would be more realistic than a ghost, more realistic to the actual model the air-soft was based on.

Instead of just magazine change you could also go into strip-down (to a reasonable degree) as well.

On 12/2/2016 at 8:21 PM, JohnnyJazz said:

Does anybody know where to buy Ghost training guns in Thailand, preferably Bangkok  ? Or similar

Ghost Gun.jpg

Also if you have the address of a good shooting range with instructor who can speak english, that would be greatly appreciated.

On 12/3/2016 at 8:43 PM, JohnnyJazz said:

Found this : http://www.gunandguy.net/PROMOTIONS-สินค้าราคาพิเศษ

Unfortunately they don't have the GHOST model that has the advantage to have a removable magazine.

It seems there is a street in Bangkok where you can find everything related to guns and ammunition. I will have a look I may find the gun I'm looking for. And if it's my lucky day I may even get the address of a good shooting range.

What's the reason for wanting a blue gun. :laugh:

l do shooting in a Cm army camp not cheap but good fun.

Not a lot of selection but Firing Glocks is what l prefer.

Bkk must have firing ranges just matter of asking in the gun shops, waste of time asking here. :biggrin:

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2016 at 10:39 AM, Strange said:

Thais can own guns here, the wife bought one legally here a few years back. They can use them in self defense in their home/property. So yes they can buy them AND use them legally within reason. 

I forget the entire process but it was a lot of local Amphur trips with family and poo-yai-baan. They look at your character and your assets and see if there are enough to warrant you needing a firearm. 

Ended up she got a Glock 19 Gen4 for like 85,000 baht. All in with permits and stuff probably over 100k. USA can buy second hand for like $300

A lot cheaper just to buy ex-police guns if it is only for self defense. From memory, just need the district office to sign the paper work off and police to sign it off. I looked into it recently and total costs were around 40,000 baht. I opted to buy a Caucasian Shepherd instead due to having limited gun experience but a lot of guard dog experience. Although the father in law carries one in his bag wherever he goes....Just have a few bb guns, baseball bats, tasers, fencing, cctv around the house (out of reach to children) and in the car. I got told to just say you use the bb gun for sporting purposes if they find it. I think from memory something ridiculous like 1 in 10 Thais own guns so, of course, they can own them. But naturally it is a crime to use them to cause fear in others. In saying that, a Thai person can even legally kill their husband/wife if catch them cheating. But she/he has to catch them in the actual act.

11 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I looked into it recently and total costs were around 40,000 baht.

For self defence around home you can buy short pistol grip shotguns brand-new in CM for 31,500 and many other gun-shops have other shotguns much cheaper s/h. 

11 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I got told to just say you use the bb gun for sporting purposes if they find it.

Police find a real gun in your car and you say it's a BB and it's for sport. :biggrin:

post-87530-0-69743200-1461032786.jpg

• Like 1

On 4-11-2016 at 7:23 PM, Strange said:

Shows that "Some Grown Adults" 

and "Could be more dangerous"

Again, what is your solution? Criminals are out there. They are armed. Law abiding people give up their guns and let criminals have their stuff/assault/rape whatever? 

Have police storm the streets searching and seizing everyone and their homes for weapons? Unconstitutionally? Throw away like the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 10th amendments in the process? 

The USA is too far gone to now take away the guns from the normal people. The criminals have them already. But in the rest of the world its clear that you guys went the wrong way. (statistics to back it all up). Now I don't see any clear solution (if it was easy someone would have thought it up by now)

But with so many guns around its so easy for a criminal to get guns so in a way the ease to get a gun is the reason why criminals have so many guns. You created your own problems and there is no real way back now. Criminals are unlikely to give up their guns and by removing the guns from non criminals you make them easier targets. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

The USA is too far gone to now take away the guns from the normal people. The criminals have them already. But in the rest of the world its clear that you guys went the wrong way. (statistics to back it all up). Now I don't see any clear solution (if it was easy someone would have thought it up by now)

But with so many guns around its so easy for a criminal to get guns so in a way the ease to get a gun is the reason why criminals have so many guns. You created your own problems and there is no real way back now. Criminals are unlikely to give up their guns and by removing the guns from non criminals you make them easier targets. 

My reply was kinda rhetorical. It wasn't a question really as our constitution was built with the idea of keeping less power in government and more power with people. Im sure there are some that will take that and run with it, but its true. 

The end of the day, in all honesty, freedom comes at a price. Its really stupid to parrot stuff like that, but it is so very true. Americans can, by law, buy guns and protect themselves, free from prosecution. We can kill another person in self defense, free from prosecution. Now with that freedom, comes the shit you see on the news and why people have this insane idea that the USA is dangerous & crazy. Freedom of speech, it comes at a price, as we have nazis running around and KKK members with membership wallet cards. Freedom of press, same, 4th amendment, unreasonable search and seizure, same, criminals know this and as long as they don't give police legit probable cause, they can't be touched. The laws in the USA are built more on conviction of an actual crime, rather than nannying into every house taking away what the government believes to be "too dangerous" to people. 

For every good intention, for every decision made, in a population of 300,000,000++ people there will always be a few to take it to some wild ass extreme. Those idiots do not, at all, represent even .001% of good law abiding american gun owners. 

Now here is the difference between how non-americans see america, and most americans see americas problems:

You blame the guns, you blame "america", you blame us for being "too far gone". Most americans see it like this: "Hey now, I didn't do shit, that criminal did. Dont punish me for his craziness." We recognize, the police recognize, everyone but some politicians with an agenda, recognize that its a criminal act perpetrated by a criminal. 

A vast majority of americans, more than a supermajority, fully understand and support 2A in some form or another, fully support the RIGHT to defend yourself FREE from prosecution. There are some that don't, but they are not the majority, not by a long shot. Most non-americans are bind-blown of the fact that regular ole people have have a gun in the glove box and think we should follow their home country "way" and we just are not even remotely interested. 

You say we are "too far gone" and thats a bit insulting honestly. Your "Statistics" can be spun anyway one chooses. 

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

My reply was kinda rhetorical. It wasn't a question really as our constitution was built with the idea of keeping less power in government and more power with people. Im sure there are some that will take that and run with it, but its true. 

The end of the day, in all honesty, freedom comes at a price. Its really stupid to parrot stuff like that, but it is so very true. Americans can, by law, buy guns and protect themselves, free from prosecution. We can kill another person in self defense, free from prosecution. Now with that freedom, comes the shit you see on the news and why people have this insane idea that the USA is dangerous & crazy. Freedom of speech, it comes at a price, as we have nazis running around and KKK members with membership wallet cards. Freedom of press, same, 4th amendment, unreasonable search and seizure, same, criminals know this and as long as they don't give police legit probable cause, they can't be touched. The laws in the USA are built more on conviction of an actual crime, rather than nannying into every house taking away what the government believes to be "too dangerous" to people. 

For every good intention, for every decision made, in a population of 300,000,000++ people there will always be a few to take it to some wild ass extreme. Those idiots do not, at all, represent even .001% of good law abiding american gun owners. 

Now here is the difference between how non-americans see america, and most americans see americas problems:

You blame the guns, you blame "america", you blame us for being "too far gone". Most americans see it like this: "Hey now, I didn't do shit, that criminal did. Dont punish me for his craziness." We recognize, the police recognize, everyone but some politicians with an agenda, recognize that its a criminal act perpetrated by a criminal. 

A vast majority of americans, more than a supermajority, fully understand and support 2A in some form or another, fully support the RIGHT to defend yourself FREE from prosecution. There are some that don't, but they are not the majority, not by a long shot. Most non-americans are bind-blown of the fact that regular ole people have have a gun in the glove box and think we should follow their home country "way" and we just are not even remotely interested. 

You say we are "too far gone" and thats a bit insulting honestly. Your "Statistics" can be spun anyway one chooses. 

I was in no way insulting people. With too far gone is that now that guns are there you can't take them back.. that is what I mean by too far gone. 

Statistics show that there is far more crime and gun crime in the USA, if you think that is spinning it then I don't agree with you. 

I can kill someone in self defense too in my country (but it needs to be in response to violence) If a girl is attacking me unarmed and I am a strong guy I can;t just get a gun and shoot her. But if I were to defend myself without weapons and kill her it would be self defense too. If I had a gun and someone came at me with a knife sure it would be self defense (if other options are gone). Not just an American thing. 

You don't have to follow our ways at all but people should then accept all the price and it looks like less and less people accept to pay the price. Hence the heavy discussion on the subject in your own country. But I don't think you guys CAN change even if you wanted as i stated.. guns are there already and your not going to get them back from criminals. The situation just can't be changed even if people wanted too. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

You don't have to follow our ways at all but people should then accept all the price and it looks like less and less people accept to pay the price. Hence the heavy discussion on the subject in your own country.

Nope, all the firearm rhetoric coming out of the white house in the last 8 years has re-invigorated americans in support of 2A and self defense, not the other way around, but I can see how people on the outside would see it that way. Dont want to get political but just a side note, the US went full red top to bottom and thats a hardcore win for 2A in itself. Trust me this subject, 2A, is wholly supported in some context or another across the board. 

I know what you are saying in the rest of your post but its been done to death. Hypothetical situations, self defense, statistics, blame, ad nauseam.  

I know you weren't trying to insult, no big deal, but it gets old sometimes debating this stuff because the way non-americans view everything on the subject is completely different. 

On 12/13/2016 at 3:49 PM, Strange said:

What's the reason for wanting a blue gun :

Training, practice, drawing, reloading on the fly, reloading while moving, they usually resemble the actual weight so good to practice carry. A very good tool for someone to practice technique with, safely. 

And you can also download free app for iPhone. Practice makes perfect

Edited by JohnnyJazz

On 12/13/2016 at 10:16 AM, Kwasaki said:

What's the reason for wanting a blue gun. :laugh:

l do shooting in a Cm army camp not cheap but good fun.

How much do you pay ?

I pay 750 THB for a box of 50 bullets. 200 rounds this morning = 3,000 THB. I don't consider myself  poor but that's not something I can afford to do everyday.