Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

Did I see you outside a 7/11  with your Tinnie, be happy to take your last Baht pal. 

You keep talking about 7/11 beer bar and you failed to make it in Thailand.. Let's see I'm here and your couch surfing somewhere.. Lol

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am one of those 50%. Been taking a wait and see approach but I'm losing confidence that the military is going to ever truly give up power and how can anyone be happy with their kids growing up in an environment where if they speak their mind they could be arrested? Assuming Trump does not win the election, I'm strongly considering moving back to America.

On 11/5/2016 at 2:44 PM, trogers said:

What would be of interest is the preferred destination of those who expressed the desire to leave Thailand...

I'm only in Thailand for as long as I can continue to progress career wise. If I hit a ceiling (or worse), I will almost certainly leave for home.

16 hours ago, mcfish said:

There you go now that wasn't hard was it? No shame in failing and running home, at least you tried..

I think the funniest thing is the assumption that when one leaves Thailand, they do so because they didn't "make it" and also that they all head back home. Strange way of thinking.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Katipo said:

I'm only in Thailand for as long as I can continue to progress career wise. If I hit a ceiling (or worse), I will almost certainly leave for home.

Then, don't take too long. Career opportunities back home would be far and few for those above 40.

28 minutes ago, trogers said:

Then, don't take too long. Career opportunities back home would be far and few for those above 40.

He might be the type of person who changes jobs only when he's headhunted and the next position is a 50% jump in salary and stock options.

On 11/5/2016 at 5:05 PM, dick dasterdly said:

I think many of us are a bit nervous as we see the visa/extension requirements being ever increased - which makes more obvious the general (as opposed to Thais that know us as individuals) dislike of foreigners.

But they'll still be more than happy to take your money should you want to buy a condo, an automobile, etc.

What would be of interest is the preferred destination of those who expressed the desire to leave Thailand...

If we ignore those who returned to their home country, I imagine most, like me, have simply moved to a neighbouring country, such as Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia and China perhaps.

Each country has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.  For example, I went to open a local bank account in Naypyidaw this morning.  'No can do, no can do' was the initial reply, (sounds just like Thailand).

After explaining to the manager that I was based in Naypyidaw to teach English, she not only opened the account, but I sealed a deal to teach conversational English to her and her 6 staff with well-paid, private tuition :)

That reminds me.  I also need to open bank accounts with 6 other local banks...

18 hours ago, Jools said:

Constant hassles. Bad attitude toward the "cash cows", xenophobic atmosphere...etc. How much MORE reason do you need to start considering Cambodia or Vietnam?

you should move to Thailand where live since 12 years. never experienced any hassles, bad attitude or a xenophobic atmosphere. in which country do you live presently?

4 hours ago, jcsmith said:

I am one of those 50%. Been taking a wait and see approach but I'm losing confidence that the military is going to ever truly give up power and how can anyone be happy with their kids growing up in an environment where if they speak their mind they could be arrested? Assuming Trump does not win the election, I'm strongly considering moving back to America.

Let us suppose for a moment that the military remains in power, how does that affect you personally ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Interesting to read this article running on thaivisa too.

By the way, for those of you who keep on stating that most of the unhappy expats are those that are penniless or are poor , think again, simply read the real-estate classifieds on DD property, craiglists, on the various facebook accts like bangkok expats etc and you will see that most who are leaving are those who are well-off with having bought high-end condos or houses in prime locations in bangkok, chiangmai, phuket, etc not those renting, or staying in slum villages upcountry like in Isaan ie properties with values less than Bt 3 million and below. Seriously, never trusts some of the long-term members of TV, have met some of them in the past during past meet-ups, they are really trash! but behind their keyboards pretend to be successful entrepreneurs leading the high-life.....lol! You should even see what some of them are married too......really laughable.

What do you mean....Laughable...."What some of them are married too"...?

So what do you mean ....?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Usernames said:

You hear wrong. Panama is a dogpit. Costa Rica is only around 30 percent cheaper than the US with about 40 percent of the American infrastructure.  Ecuador is the newbie on the list for SAmerica, and I suppose if you don't mind altitude sickness, it might just be fine. But expats go through these SAmerican countries faster than crap through a goose, and they all turn into disappointments quickly. 

Never been there so I defer - and thanks for letting everyone know.  I got that information from several reitrement websites - they all rate Panama and Ecuador as in their top 10 retirement countries for western expats (and always include Thailand).  

1 hour ago, Naam said:

hmmm... you joined Thaivisa one month ago but you have met some long term members in the past during meet-ups (plural)?

:whistling:

hmmmmm indeed. I may not agree with what some of the long termers say (sometimes never) but many of them have some good advice about the important things (like Visas, shopping, car bikes and repairs, doctors, hsopitals, clothes, hosue repairs, etc etc). Maybe what they say about Trump or Clinton is not right, but when it comes to where the nearest decent doctor is, I will go with an 'old dog' rather than someone who has been here 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob9 said:

Never been there so I defer - and thanks for letting everyone know.  I got that information from several reitrement websites - they all rate Panama and Ecuador as in their top 10 retirement countries for western expats (and always include Thailand).  

They recommend Thailand and you still believe that their recommendation of Panama and Ecuador to be reliable as well. 

Do you not understand that many websites like this are produced by people who've probably never been to any of the countries they rate.  They simply pay writers (also with no real experience of living in the countries) to produce articles about each destination.  Then people like you search on Google and find the sites, go there and give their sites visitor impressions which they can then use to sell advertising.

It is all about making money, nothing at all about providing correct, upto date information from people who have actually retired to and lived in the locations for an extended period of time.

You are much better off searching for forums related to a destination.   Although as with this forum you need to identify people who are the same as you, to get reliable info.   

• Like 1

I think there are always different opinions. I think if you are happy or not, mostly depends on why you are in Thailand.

There are so many different types of expats (farangs).

- Working in Thailand for an international company

- Working in Thailand on Thai contract

- Retired (over 50)

- Maried (under 50, retirement visa not available yet) but not work

- Longtime tourists

My personal Opinion is, i never want to work in Thailand, because for make money I like it more in my Homecountry (Europe).

But when you have some money (> 67'000 Baht per month), then I think you can have a good life. About the extensions I can't comment a lot yet, because till now I only used tourists visa and mariage visas and never used an extension, because I not want in the country for longer than 2-3 months in 1 piece. About 10 years ago... Yes there it was easier with the 30 days visa excempt.

It would also be interesting to know more info about this survey. When I am in Thailand I also always have a plan B and would consider every year if it is better to go to another place or home or stay in the country.. But only because I am thinking about it, not mean i am not happy or I want to leave. Only mean I am checking my options.

About the hassle with the extension, I GUESS, if you work and not have so much time, then this 90 days reports and the 1 day per year at immigration could be painfull.

But if you are here on a non working base.. then I think this 1 day per year isn't that bad. because you have enough time.

Yes, many people are right, the Thais have more rights in other countries than a Farang have in Thailand (buy house, become easier longterm visa,...)

.. but how difficult is it for a thai to travel abroad and how difficult is it for a farang to travel to Thailand???

I

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

what part of "married to" is it you don't understand?

I'm teasing.... you said  "he means not everybody is married to a beautiful lady like you Trans."  

He means not everybody is married to a beautiful lady "like you"   or He means not everyone is married to a beautiful lady like you ARE Trans. 

:-)  

I think the funniest thing is the assumption that when one leaves Thailand, they do so because they didn't "make it" and also that they all head back home. Strange way of thinking.

If you left because of other circumstances you would have said but your being allusive, that's a sure give away. Like I said no shame in it [emoji1]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naam said:

you should move to Thailand where live since 12 years. never experienced any hassles, bad attitude or a xenophobic atmosphere. in which country do you live presently?

I live in Thailand. Do you not read English?