Start a Business for Thai, how to?

Hello all,

I have a general question on how a Thai person open a business in Thailand and what are the steps?

I'm asking because my girlfriend would like to start her own business "Software Development" and trying to gather as much information as possible for her.

1- What are the type of business for Thai?

2- What are the minimum requirements?

3- Is the "One Person One Company" available yet in Thailand? or she would have to find Thai partners?

Basically, she would like to have her own business name, commercial bank account and be able to do business in Thailand.  She's not expecting to hire people but could do so in the future (2-3 ppl).

Any initial feedback/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

12 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If your wife wants to run a business in her own country, she should be able to get that information by herself. If not she doesn't have what it takes to run a business.

That's one of the most stupid reply i've seen in a long time.  If all people asking for help in this forum had your kind of reply, might as well close the whole board!

29 minutes ago, enkiki said:

I did already and some topics are geared toward opening a business for foreigners which is not my request.

I'm looking more for a Thai person persceptive.

Thx

If you are looking for a Thai perspective on a national opening a business in her own country, I would suggest you are asking in the wrong place. Although there are some Thai members here, the vast majority of members are foreign.

3 hours ago, enkiki said:

That's one of the most stupid reply i've seen in a long time.  If all people asking for help in this forum had your kind of reply, might as well close the whole board!

While asking questions regarding Thai business on an expat forum is obviously  a sure sign of a super intelligent being., FritsSiikkink was only pointing out what most members would be thinking.

40 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

While asking questions regarding Thai business on an expat forum is obviously  a sure sign of a super intelligent being., FritsSiikkink was only pointing out what most members would be thinking.

I thought it was a reasonable answer too.  If I were in  UK and looking to open a business I'd be looking for native language information, not asking my foreign GF to ask people in a forum in their language.

She wants to start her own "Software Development" company but isn't tech savvy enough to research this herself online in her native language in her native country? She can't even operate a smartphone and post on Facebook or ask her Thai friends on the Line chat app or something? This is an early warning sign to not walk but RUN AWAY from this wanna-be "software entrepreneur" lacking even rudimentary research skills or initiative.

14 minutes ago, a1falang said:

She wants to start her own "Software Development" company but isn't tech savvy enough to research this herself online in her native language in her native country? She can't even operate a smartphone and post on Facebook or ask her Thai friends on the Line chat app or something? This is an early warning sign to not walk but RUN AWAY from this wanna-be "software entrepreneur" lacking even rudimentary research skills or initiative.

my sentiments , exactly.either that or,hes being buttered up ,big time .

5 hours ago, enkiki said:

Be ready to lose a lot of money then, because it looks like you both don't have what it takes.

They have a "One Stop Service" at the Amphor, where you Thai GF can get all infomation about opening her business, such as registration and permissions, employ staff and social security, etc. etc. – however, they may speak Thai and little English only at the office...

while i must agree that if she can't find this info then I question the future success of the business, I have just started visiting a lawyer to check out this for myself.

first I found that for a foreign owner / partner it must be a private thai company, preferably limited (liability issue) and probably should be registered. You need a work permit & visa, sponsored by a company with a min of 2 million baht capital.  Hard for many start-ups.

For a thai to start/ own a business, it can be a sole ownership or partnership of 2 or more - but all thais.  it also can be registered or not.  They can form a private thai company also, but it requires 3 people minimum, board meetings, filing for taxes (withheld from employees wages), and all the govt paperwork of a real big company.  For a few million baht business i thought it easier to put it all in her name & not mess up my home retirement & taxes as well as visa here (no taxes on retirement).  remember, a million baht is not much in the business word for a ferang.

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Be ready to lose a lot of money then, because it looks like you both don't have what it takes.

LOL.  I didn't know that! First time I hear that!  I usually hear quite the opposite!

Seriously, You're the perfect example of an idiot.  Your replies are so lame, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Are you 15 years old or what?!  GFY.

Edited by enkiki

2 hours ago, enkiki said:

LOL.  I didn't know that! First time I hear that!  I usually hear quite the opposite!

Maybe from your wife.

Good luck with your business, you will need loads of it. Did you ever run a business (please don't count selling lemonade as a kid)?

53 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe from your wife.

Good luck with your business, you will need loads of it. Did you ever run a business (please don't count selling lemonade as a kid)?

Can you imagine how his lemonade jug would need to be labeled?

"Pouring Instructions On The Bottom"

Have you heard the Thai saying: " playing the violin for the buffalo"?

OP, a violin is a musical instrument and a buffalo is a.... oh forget it, I don't want to engage an unarmed man in a battle of wits

Enkiki. I'm confident from your responses that you know exactly what you're doing.  It's wonderful that you can make your girlfriend's dreams come true.  Not enough farang are prepared to demonstrate the depth of their love by financing and supporting their Thai darlings' business savvy in such a romantic way. I'm sure she'll never forget your kindness, support and generosity.  Yours is the sort of beneficence from which true love springs.  I can't wait to hear (I'm sure it will happen soon!) your girl with a dream might just propose marriage to ensure you can share properly in the fruits of her commercial endeavours.