Bumped a car in front of me...

sausage911

OK, so it was in bad traffic, my car rolled forward and went into the one in front. Small dent on their bumper.

We got out, she said do you want insurance to pay and I said no I'll just pay for the repair its not worth insurance, gave her my phone number and that was it we both drove off.

I have it all on a dashcam, I had two missed calls yesterday but no contact. What can really happen?

The other driver can make up a wild story, file a police complaint, etc, come back with a repair bill that is bogus/really high, etc. ,if that other driver is the type of person who might try that...really wants/needs money.  

Always best to exchange insurance info at the accident site, like the Knock-Knock insurance form that usually comes with your insurance policy.   Even notify your insurance company.  Yea, I know the concern about possible future premium increase.

If neither driver has any of their insurance paperwork in the car then just exchange insurance info, ID card, phone number, etc., info so both parties can contact each other later to possibly resolve the issue privately.   Good you have the video and hopefully you made the other person aware  you have the video.

But I'm surprised if you are clearly at fault and there was damage to the other person's car they (or their insurance company) haven't contacted you yet with a repair/compensation cost.  Even though the person's insurance company may pay for repair of the car (assuming the person had the right kind of insurance) the person's other insurance company will most likely contact your insurance company or you for repayment.  But your post implied you two didn't exchange any insurance info.   Time will tell.

Edited by Pib

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

But I'm surprised if you are clearly at fault and there was damage to the other person's car they (or their insurance company) haven't contacted you yet with a repair/compensation cost.

It appears they have tried to contact him and poster is avoiding there calls and asking what will happen if he continues to do so.

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It appears they have tried to contact him and poster is avoiding there calls and asking what will happen if he continues to do so.

Yeap, missed that.  Well, he exchanged phone numbers for a reason...guess he needs to answer the phone or call back.   If he don't like what he hears then contact his insurance company.  

Missed a call yesterday, called it back today but something different.

I have it on dash cam, she's fine, she lifts up the boot and gets in and out of the car three times.

I don't have her number she has mine. The question  was if she doesn't contact me what can I do about it?

Not running away from anything. The car isn't registered at the address, its at an old address

Edited by sausage911

All you can do is wait for a call from her (maybe none will never come) and/or contact your insurance company to ask for guidance.   Maybe she has a reason also she don't want to take any more action on the accident.

And why in the world did you exchange info without getting all her info, like her phone number?    Sounds like she just got your info and you didn't ask/get any info from her.  The video is nice but it don't tell you her name, phone number, address, etc.  

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

All you can do is wait for a call from her (maybe none will never come) and/or contact your insurance company to ask for guidance.   Maybe she has a reason also she don't want to take any more action on the accident.

And why in the world did you exchange info without getting all her info, like her phone number?    Sounds like she just got your info and you didn't ask/get any info from her.  The video is nice but it don't tell you her name, phone number, address, etc.  

I presumed she'd call me asap. The road was jammed up, not from us but something further down the street. She didn't ask to see anything else from me just a number, jumped in the car and off we went. lt all happened in about 5 minutes really. I don't want to see her out of pocket if she's getting it repaired I have no problem in paying but as the car isn't registered to the address we are at now  the BIB can't get us without going to get the address from Immigration, would they really be bothered about something so small?

I was interested if anyone else had had a similar situation.

Edited by sausage911

18 minutes ago, sausage911 said:

I have it on dash cam, she's fine, she lifts up the boot and gets in and out of the car three times.

I don't have her number she has mine. The question  was if she doesn't contact me what can I do about it?

Not running away from anything. The car isn't registered at the address, its at an old address

Considering she's probably at work, she may have not had time for anyone to look at the ding and assess the cost. Most of these bumpers are a plastic composite and can be 'popped' back out with possibly some paint damage.  Wait and see I guess.

10 minutes ago, sausage911 said:

I presumed she'd call me asap. The road was jammed up, not from us but something further down the street. She didn't ask to see anything else from me just a number, jumped in the car and off we went. lt all happened in about 5 minutes really. I don't want to see her out of pocket if she's getting it repaired I have no problem in paying but as the car isn't registered to the address we are at now  the BIB can't get us without going to get the address from Immigration, would they really be bothered about something so small?

Maybe she's one of those truly unique locals that understands 'knock for knock' and the increased premiums incurred by claims. A good sign of this was her beetling off armed only by your admission of fault, assurances about paying for repairs and your phone number rather than sitting blocking traffic with the hazard flashers on waiting for an insurance adjuster to come along and approve a repair that costs less than dinner for two at the Lebua Tower. Also note that if she is getting it repaired, she won't know the final cost until the repair is finished, since a quote is just a quote. Worst case 3500 baht for a respray only to 5000 baht for a new bumper and respray.

Edited by NanLaew

Many years ago in Samui I was in a very thin Soi and, as I passed a van my bumper kissed his bumper. I could not have been travelling more than 2 or 3 kmh.

I got out and both vehicles has small colour smudges on them where the cars had touched. I gave him my card and told him to get a quote and let me have it. The next day I took my black Fortuner to a Cockpit shop and they removed the white smudge - no indentation just a smear of colour. The bill was 300 baht.

Two days later he brought in a 'quote' for 5,000 baht and I said to the guy I needed at least 2 more quotes - never saw him again.

Don't understand the point of your question. She kindly  gave you the option of contacting the insurance or paying yourself for the damage, and you choose the latter. It appears now you are having second thoughts, you haven't ever bothered (putting it mildly)  to call her back. . . . If a Thai person did that to you all in sundry would be crying. . . "TYPICAL". 

Okay…you say you have no problem paying for repairs to her car. Yet you seem unduly concerned with what might happen if you don’t.

Sorry, but it sounds as if you’re looking for an out.

If you were responsible and you promised to make good, then answer your phone and keep your word.  

Don't lose too much sleep over it. She calls, do the right thing and all will be well. I've had similar thing occur and it was sorted amicably. Contrary to what you might read on TV, not all Thais are out to make your life a misery. Good luck.

Edited by MrJohnson

2 minutes ago, MrJohnson said:

Don't lose too much sleep over it. She calls, do the right thing and all will be well. I've had similar thing occur and it was sorted amicably. Contrary to what you might read on TV, not all Thais are out to make your life a misery. Good luck.

I agree with you, probably one of the few that have responded without attacking.

I know exactly how much it will cost to repair and I don't think they will be out for a quick buck or they would have demanded funds then and there. I'm not worrying about it and certainly not losing sleep, when they catch up with me I'll pay, just didn't really want the BIB at the door as the neighbors will have a field day, would rather she did contact and and we sort it over a coffee or at a garage. She doesn't know I have a video of it which has picked up the sound.

Don't lose any sleep over it, it's very possible she had a look at the damage and decided (A) wasn't worth pursuing or (B) wasn't worth losing the use of her car for a period whilst it was being repaired.

The OP was the guilty party as admitted, and can be proven on his dash cam, as the other driver was the innocent party what right did he have to demand her number ? In my opinion  the situation was handled politely and properly.

I don't know what could happen but what should happen is you should call back and see what she wants. You did the dent, maybe nothing to you but not her I don't know. I would have handed her a couple thousand baht and said sorry but up to you.

10 hours ago, sausage911 said:

What can you do about it?

You can get your car registered at your correct address.

It just depends on the person you hit. (or "rolled into" :smile:). I have taken care of these kinds of things before and they are usually less expensive than I figured they would be. As for me, it was worth it to have a clear conscience. If they do go to the authorities then you can be certain it's going to cost you a lot more.

10 hours ago, sausage911 said:

Yes they would (if "encouraged" to do so).

14 hours ago, sausage911 said:

I had an identical accident a few years ago in Bangkok.      I was coming off the exit ramp from the expressway on to Sukhumvit at soi 1.   Traffic was stopped and the Thai guy behind me rolled into my car causing minor damage to my bumper.    Of course it didn't look good and I wanted it repaired.     We were able to pull off the ramp and stopped where we contacted both insurance companies.    He admitted fault and his insurance rep gave me and my insurance rep a report saying they would pay to have it repaired.    So a few days later I took the car to a Honda dealer where it was repaired and paid for by the insurance company.    Since you were so obviously at fault I'm wondering why the person you hit didn't insist on doing this.