"Road block hero" could face prosecution as Korat police circle the wagons

webfact

59 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

The edict seemed pretty clear that a high ranking police person needed to be present at a roadblock as I remember. I didn't see one in the video so it looks cut and dry to me.

And according to a report I read earlier this year, a telephone number must also be displayed.  

That report also covered that a number of Buriram police had been put on inactive duties for operating road blocks that did not conform to regulations.   (For years I have had this vision of a great big warehouse full of desks at which policemen sit with their feet up on them while cleaning their nails.)

I got to hear shortly after that they were returned to active duties and saw that road blocks around Buriram did indeed display a phone number.

They still do have the scrambled egg man attending but need go out and check whether they still do display a phone number.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dukeleto said:

And there you have it folks! Thats why nothing you do in Thailand is EVER water tight. There is always another contradicting law or authority or interpretation to land you in hot water if someone wants to make it so. And if that applies to Thai's then it applies doubly to foriengners. The one constant law to never disobeying in Thailand is: Never rock the boat!

Thai laws seem to have enormous fluidity depending on who they apply to. And some Thai laws don't apply at all to some preferential people.

Best solution for handling any problem with the Thai police is to have high-ranking police officers as friends, someone with 2 or 3 stars is usually enough in the local area but if you add a crown on top of the stars and then they can usually help you anywhere in Thailand... if the situation gets too bad then you might need to add some leafs under the stars too!

I have used my police contacts once, I was stopped by two police officers that said that they would give me a 2,000 Baht fine... while walking in Bangkok!

If the law was cleared up to make sure it was clear to all parties then the Police would not be able to run their money making scams , but of course the POLICE will NEVER clean uip their act as they appear to be able to do what they want, when they want and to whom ( normally the lower echelons of society ) they want with impunity. After 15 years I was told my spotlights were illegal even though the law is clear. How corrupt is that I ask. cast 200Thb for a legal addition to my vehicle. go figure. .

Could we possibly ask the PM Prayut to moderate this issue??????????????? 

I drive throughout Thailand and sometime haul household items in the back of my pick up. How many times have I been told that I could go to the local provincial police station and pay a 400 baht fine and collect my drivers license on the following day.............. OR I can pay 200 baht now and be on my way immediately with my licence in hand................

The current PM Prayut says he wants to clean up this corruption, so can we please get him to oversee situations like this...............

9 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Could we possibly ask the PM Prayut to moderate this issue??????????????? 

I drive throughout Thailand and sometime haul household items in the back of my pick up. How many times have I been told that I could go to the local provincial police station and pay a 400 baht fine and collect my drivers license on the following day.............. OR I can pay 200 baht now and be on my way immediately with my licence in hand................

The current PM Prayut says he wants to clean up this corruption, so can we please get him to oversee situations like this...............

Your crying into the wind. 

Also, I am just curious...... Is there anything they can do if you turn on the video of your cellphone while they approach your vehicle and record the whole thing on video while they are shaking you down........... Just wondering what their response would be if they saw that they were being recorded................ do you suppose they could confiscate your phone?................. I know after 30 years in the land of smiles that 'TIT' and  I have considered this.............. Video it.................... as this 'hero' seems to have done................. 

really curious.................

2 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Also, I am just curious...... Is there anything they can do if you turn on the video of your cellphone while they approach your vehicle and record the whole thing on video while they are shaking you down........... Just wondering what their response would be if they saw that they were being recorded................ do you suppose they could confiscate your phone?................. I know after 30 years in the land of smiles that 'TIT' and  I have considered this.............. Video it.................... as this 'hero' seems to have done................. 

really curious.................

They could categorize your phone as a computer and charge you under the computer crime act. 

2 hours ago, bheard said:

If the cops were sure they were acting within the law at the time, then they would not have packed up and disappeared!

New to this country?

Nothing to do with lawful or not. Usually a question of who shouts the loudest, or has the biggest face/ego.

Edited by Morakot

25 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

They could categorize your phone as a computer and charge you under the computer crime act. 

Are you serious?   Or just want to add a post........... Thanks, but i will wait for a few other opinions..............

4 hours ago, rhythmworx said:

Haaaaa, Farangs are starting to take over Thailand and lay down the law it seems lately.

How are 'farang's' taking over Thailand and laying down the law....? Pray tell, please explain.......Farang's have nothing to do with this fiasco....!

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

What the police brass is really miffed about is, how the officers meekly followed the directions of a civilian and left for their station with their tails between their legs. All it needed was a confident individual, some legalese and a live broadcast. If the police themselves had been convinced  their actions were legal, they would have arrested the man for obstruction, camera running or not.

You hit that one out of the park....! Home run over the Green Monster...!  Even to ATTEMPT to save face, the cops should have stood their ground...FOOLS ALL.........Egg on the face and deserved.

5 hours ago, rhythmworx said:

Haaaaa, Farangs are starting to take over Thailand and lay down the law it seems lately.

I think farang, including you Thai-bashing policemen, would like the existing laws to be upheld by the police force and written in such a way as to be unambiguous.

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

A road-block to "protect and serve the public"............................................bwahahahahahah!

Yes that's right :whistling:

To protect there ever growing bank accounts and to serve themselves

Stuff Joe Public he just pays and pays and etc   

4 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Question!  Why are the roadblocks set up at the end or beginning of each month?  

4 hours ago, bheard said:

If the cops were sure they were acting within the law at the time, then they would not have packed up and disappeared!

Simple, clear cut.

3 hours ago, whatproblem said:

But now Korat police spokesman Supakorn Khamsing has hit back saying that the police don't need permission from the highways authority to protect and serve the public

when did they start serving and protecting the public ,I must of missed that

Well put y'all! My sentiments exactly ...

Their reaction was to be expected just that way, wasn't it?

Now, what is it:  Brown pile aside of a road?

a. buffalo dung

b. po-lice

c. a. = b.

P.S.: haven't ever seen even one of them doing a proper job on say a main drag passing a so called technical college, full of speeding extremely loud (artificially of course) cretins on heaps of tampered-with bikes, most without any license of course, barely one with a helmet.

Not seen a one. Not in years!

There should simply be a lot more >concrete posts< around, might work better on the long run , cheaper for the public 4 sure ...! 

3 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Are you serious?   Or just want to add a post........... Thanks, but i will wait for a few other opinions..............

Their in charge their way of interpreting the rules. You must admit they have made some wild interpretations in the past. You could be left waiting at the altar of opinion.