Competitors working illegally ruining my business, what to do?

Thailand1971

I have had a niche business in Thailand for the past 5 years, everything done legal, even have 4  (real) Thai staff on the payroll so I can have my work permit.

In the last few years competition from people on tourists visas and education visas with no work permits have started doing the same type of work as us which has meant I have had to drop my rates to keep my old clients and now it is getting to the stage that I think I have to close my business and maybe have to return to my home country to work, leaving my gf and life behind.

I have never been a snitch or grass but these guys are ruining me, I have evidence in the from of their Facebook posts, youtube videos clearly showing they are working but without Non-B visas and work permits.

Unfortunately the area that I work in doesn't have the best immigration department, I have heard stories of people in a similar situation to myself report people only to find immigration pay them a visit, get a donantion and drop the name of the person that reported them!!

Any suggestions or email addresses that I can send evidence to that will be acted on?

Edited by Thailand1971

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A common problem here. Just drive down the highway and see how there are rows of shops all doing the same thing. Pretty much ensures nobody makes a decent living from these businesses.

Of course I don't know much about yours, but if anybody seems to be doing any good, it gets copied.

The usual Thai way of handling this is the concerned Thai patriot/citizen letter to the local police/appropriate authorities. Not suggesting GF does this but just telling the forum how the locals handle this (if a foreigner is competition)

Edited by mokwit

before turning in the competitors  make sure you are squeeky clean , because  once you open that door who knows what can happen , 

and are no Thais also doing this business ?   They may want to get you out ?????

You have seen all the same stores near each other all over Thailand  ,

how long did you think it would be until you were copied....

And  "if" you get rid of the competitors  do you really think your customers are going to be happy paying the old higher prices ?

Lots of things to think about before you do anything !

I assume you're not going to tell us what type of business it is, whether or not Thais do it too, and how you're 100% sure these competing foreigners aren't legal.

But without that info it's a bit hard to give any more advice other than the obvious one you know already, contact immigration and hope for the best. 

If they are ruining your business and your doing it legally and they are not report them. I would not report people like that if it did not affect me but if direct competitors are ruining your business because they don't have the same cost (your legal) I would do so. 

Once (If) you get rid of this batch, they'll be followed by another.  Then another.

Go ahead and report them.  Maybe it'll work.  Maybe only for a while.

But then you may want to rethink your business plan.  Otherwise you'll have to hire a local to do nothing but deal with the illegal competition.

Edit:  It's interesting to hear about illegal foreign competitors from a Non-Thai perspective.  Maybe some TVF folks will have some empathy when the Thais rat out people who are skirting the rules to compete with them.  What am I thinking?  That would require looking at it from another point of view.

Edited by impulse

40 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

There are many words that can be used to describe a person like you, but, if i used them, i would be banned. Get a life.

1. You have no idea what type of person I am!

2. I asked you a simple question!

3. By your response I wonder what type of person you are!

4. I have a life and happy with it.

5. If you don't want any response, why ask for opinions of others?

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

A common problem here. Just drive down the highway and see how there are rows of shops all doing the same thing. Pretty much ensures nobody makes a decent living from these businesses.

Of course I don't know much about yours, but if anybody seems to be doing any good, it gets copied.

Not true!

Why nobody copies Sizzlers, Pizzacompany or MK-Suki? They always have long qeueu's waiting but they still open stupid restaurants nobody is interested in.

6 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Not true!

Why nobody copies Sizzlers, Pizzacompany or MK-Suki? They always have long qeueu's waiting but they still open stupid restaurants nobody is interested in.

Perhaps because you can count on your fingers and toes the number of Thai families that have the $$$ tens of millions to duplicate their systems, their distribution networks and their advertising campaigns?   And those families employ people smart enough to know not to spend their money over-saturating a market.  They let other people invest in over-saturating the markets.  Like 7/11 franchises...

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Perhaps because you can count on your fingers and toes the number of Thai families that have the $$$ tens of millions to duplicate their systems, their distribution networks and their advertising campaigns? 

You don't need millions to start a good buffetrestaurant with a salad bar.

Or a pizzacompany with an oven and good pizza's.

Or a bunch of hotpots to cook your own soup.

There are plenty of similar restaurants in BKK but they are no good. Last week i was in Suki....(i forgot), an MK style restaurant with hotpots, conveyer belts and a small buffet but it was no good at all. 6-800 all inclusive. 

That conveyer-belt idea is not bad but they should put better food on the plates, and all inclusive of course. In Sizzlers you can eat well for 300 a person, Thai even eat 2 days from that. 

They only open strange japanese-style restaurants in the malls which give small portions of cheap crappy food, an egg is about the best part of the whole meal.

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Not true!

why? very simple , you carnt match there buying power .

26 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Not true!

They always have long qeueu's waiting but they still open stupid restaurants nobody is interested in.

Nobody is interested but they get long queues. Care to re-think that?

23 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

why? very simple , you carnt match there buying power .

Sizzlers, Swensson, Burger King, Pizza company (correct me if i'm wrong) ALL belong to the same American businessman. He also started small but understands exactly what customers want. Soon he will buy/build his own malls i guess and he deserves it, i will be his customer for sure.

The problem for Thai copycats is they don't know what customers want, they want much for a reasonable price, good service and nice food of good quality. Only the guy from Sizzlers and CP understand that and will soon rule whole thailand.

1 hour ago, remobb said:

1. You have no idea what type of person I am!

2. I asked you a simple question!

3. By your response I wonder what type of person you are!

4. I have a life and happy with it.

5. If you don't want any response, why ask for opinions of others?

I would offer that your Avatar perhaps gives some members a questionable impression.......