Passenger Who Beat Guard Senseless At Tollbooth Confesses To Assault

webfact

Passenger Who Beat Guard Senseless At Tollbooth Confesses To Assault

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter -

BANGKOK — A man accused of beating a tollway guard unconscious for not letting him go through the Easy Pass lane confessed to the crime and has been charged with assault, a police colonel said Friday.

Thanawat Paesawad, 35, turned himself in Thursday morning after police identified him in an arrest warrant as a suspect in the savage beating of toll booth guard Aneerut Saengmitr, 52, for telling him he couldn’t go through the automated lane without an Easy Pass card at the Pracha Chuen entrance to the Sirat Expressway.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2016/11/11/passenger-beat-guard-senseless-tollbooth-confesses-assault/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-11

'Police brought Thanawat and Aneerut together and encouraged them to reach a private settlement on damages, Samart said. Aneerut demanded 30,000 baht for his emotional and physical trauma, but Thanawat would only offer 10,000.“They couldn’t agree, but we still made them apologize to each other,” said the police colonel. “We won’t know if they were really sincere to each other deep down. Still, the accused brought his mom to the police station, who wai-ed to the victim.”'

Encouraged them to make a deal, eh? That's awfully good of the police. Free of charge, I assume. 

Made them both apologise to each other? Why did the guy who got assaulted have to apologise? Heck, why did anyone have to apologise. That has nothing to do with the police. 

Don't know if the apology was sincere? Who cares? You gonna prosecute them for not being sincere? <deleted> me!

Like a sketch from Monty Python. 

'The Sunday incident began when Aneerut told the people inside an Isuzu truck to back out from the Easy Pass lane at the tollway and enter one of the cash lanes. One passenger responded by becoming irate and shouting at Aneerut before exiting the vehicle and attacking him.'

This is just what beyond belief.

What the #### is going on here these days?

“We won’t know if they were really sincere to each other deep down. Still, the accused brought his mom to the police station, who wai-ed to the victim.”

Yes we will. Thais do the poorest job of faking sincerity. It's all about saving face by avoiding the appearance of being weak, taking responsibility and paying for their actions, or acting in an Un-Buddhist way. Bringing the old lady. Nice touch. Doesn't really bring much to the table as soon as one realizes that she was the one who raised such a violent and irresponsible excuse for a human being. They were as sincere as every murderer and thief who shaves his head and enters the wat for a few nights. 

My mother is  sadly long gone, but had i got into trouble with the police for beating an innocent person  up, she would have been the last one i would turn to......... i would have been in fear of my life ..from her!:coffee1:

4 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

“We won’t know if they were really sincere to each other deep down. Still, the accused brought his mom to the police station, who wai-ed to the victim.”

Yes we will. Thais do the poorest job of faking sincerity. It's all about saving face by avoiding the appearance of being weak, taking responsibility and paying for their actions, or acting in an Un-Buddhist way. Bringing the old lady. Nice touch. Doesn't really bring much to the table as soon as one realizes that she was the one who raised such a violent and irresponsible excuse for a human being. They were as sincere as every murderer and thief who shaves his head and enters the wat for a few nights. 

"Bringing the old lady. Nice touch."

Surely you must agree that the victim deserves to be  waied to sincerely by the assailant's dear mother. It all adds a little drama and character to this soap opera and helps to keep the costs down..:wink:

On 11/11/2016 at 0:22 PM, rkidlad said:

'Police brought Thanawat and Aneerut together and encouraged them to reach a private settlement on damages, Samart said. Aneerut demanded 30,000 baht for his emotional and physical trauma, but Thanawat would only offer 10,000.“They couldn’t agree, but we still made them apologize to each other,” said the police colonel. “We won’t know if they were really sincere to each other deep down. Still, the accused brought his mom to the police station, who wai-ed to the victim.”'

Encouraged them to make a deal, eh? That's awfully good of the police. Free of charge, I assume. 

Made them both apologise to each other? Why did the guy who got assaulted have to apologise? Heck, why did anyone have to apologise. That has nothing to do with the police. 

Don't know if the apology was sincere? Who cares? You gonna prosecute them for not being sincere? <deleted> me!

Like a sketch from Monty Python. 

What was the guard's apology, " sorry I did my job and put you in the terrible position of having to decide to do as instructed because your vehicle was in the wrong or smack the shit out of me because of loss of face " ?

The assailant must have some connections. Why are the police pressing for a private settlement? So they can quietly drop the criminal charges when the fuss has died down? A thug attacked somebody doing their job. Lock him up. And lock up his mother too.

Oh hold on.. the mother must be the one with the connections such as ranking civil servant or with sufficient status to cow the police and the tollbooth collector.

As long as people can get away with it by doing a wai or playing monk for a couple of weeks there is no way this place will ever change. Not to mention the corruption among those who are supposed to uphold the law.. Things are so rotten that even Dorian's Gray picture looks like a beauty compared to it.

Bottom line is that the place is F*U*B*A*R with no indication for a change to the better because it suits those who've got the dough. 

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The assailant must have some connections. Why are the police pressing for a private settlement? So they can quietly drop the criminal charges when the fuss has died down?

They're not pressing for a financial settlement, the case is going to court.

3 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

Thanks to social media everybody knows that their crimes will go unpunished. Thailand is truly becoming a lawless society.

Yet another example here of ineptitude from the BIB. Why the victim had to apologize is beyond belief... 

Yes, the police were totally inept in identifying and bringing in the accused.  You have no idea whether the accused will go unpunished, they don't usually and Thailand is not becoming a lawless society, let's see what the court says, eh?

14 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

They're not pressing for a financial settlement, the case is going to court.

Read the article, the police are encouraging a private settlement.

If this is successful, there is less pressure on the police to give the case to the public prosecutor and less chance the case will actually reach court. Charges are often laid in Thailand but later often charges are dropped or not pursued. There is no certainty the "case is going to court".

38 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Read the article, the police are encouraging a private settlement.

I did.  They're not.  The parties couldn't agree so it's going to court.  Read the link..." Aneerut and Thanawat will go to court to settle on the amount of damages to be paid".

Edited by gdgbb

There seems to be quite a few angry people in Thailand

at the moment,just look at somebody,which they perceive

to be the wrong way,accidently step on someone's foot ,

sound your horn when a driver nearly takes the front end of

your car off,could be cause for at least a beating,especially

if you are old ,or infirm,or if there's 3 or 4 of them.it's becoming

land of the scowl ,not the smiles

regards worgeordie

...so there is no law then....???

...beat someone to near death...then bring your mother to the police station...say 'Sorry'...and offer the victim 10,000 baht...???

...this is really insane....

As usual you didn't read. They go to court to settle the amount and the offender has been charged.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

9 hours ago, poohy said:

My mother is  sadly long gone,

Mine came to visit a few times.

She was threatened by a taxi driver who demanded 1000 baht in cash while punching the steering wheel after locking the doors. She was 66 or 67 at the time, and were about 1 minute into the journey. 

Luckily for him no police were there to get involved as he might have had to wai them. Probably not her though. 

Edited by Happy Grumpy