A hundred people left stranded at Suvarnabhumi after air ticket tour con

rooster59

A hundred people left stranded at Suvarnabhumi after air ticket tour con

ticket.PNG
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- More than 100 people were left high and dry at Suvarnabhumi yesterday morning when they realized air tickets they had paid for were just a con.

The group were all representatives of the Lions' Association including their Thai president. They had arrived at the airport around 8am to check in for their flight later in the morning to Hong Kong.

They were all headed to an important meeting called OCO set to take place from the 11th to 14th. Each person had paid an agent identified only as "A" 15,000 each for air tickets and accommodation.

But the airline said they had no record of any reservations.

Realizing they had been conned they reported to airport police and were taken to register a complaint with tech police. 

All funds were transferred online in the scam with losses well in excess of a million baht.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-12

11 minutes ago, trogers said:

In this day and age, why do you still need to book through an agent, when airlines and hotels have their own online services?

And if you want the service of an agent, get one with a registered office...

What will the registered office guarantee? It's like that sunk passengerboat which wasn't insured.....

46 minutes ago, fruitman said:

What will the registered office guarantee? It's like that sunk passengerboat which wasn't insured.....

I use HIS Tour at Asoke or TV Air at the Emporium to check for promotional prices to compare with those on airlines and hotel websites.

maybe worse when you buy a real ticket with airasia final destination phuc quoc island vietnam. phuc quoc is a special economic zone and the only destination in vietnam no visa needed. this is at least 2 years old and the info is clear and passengers can transit to make the connecting flight at any international vietnam airport.  then the staff at airasia never heard of phuc quoc island and refuse to allow passenger to board plane.

following day with a ticket on a competent carrier voyage completed no problem, no visa. just as numerous tourists have done for at least 2 years already.

Edited by atyclb

1 hour ago, trogers said:

In this day and age, why do you still need to book through an agent, when airlines and hotels have their own online services?

If the folks in the photo are representative of the group, may not be big internet users.  Not a smart phone between them. 

Edited by 55Jay

2 hours ago, trogers said:

complicated itineraries, such as those containing stop-overs or open-jaw routing, will in most cases still require bookings with an agent as it rarely can be done online. Even custom-made flight + hotel packages are usually difficult to book online.

In the rare cases I need an agent for a booking, I always immediately check the PNR of my ticket to find out if it really exists. Usually this can be done at the respective airline's website most easily

Edited by siam2007

5 hours ago, trogers said:

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

If the folks in the photo are representative of the group, may not be big internet users.  Not a smart phone between them. 

2 hours ago, siam2007 said:

complicated itineraries, such as those containing stop-overs or open-jaw routing, will in most cases still require bookings with an agent as it rarely can be done online. Even custom-made flight + hotel packages are usually difficult to book online.

In the rare cases I need an agent for a booking, I always immediately check the PNR of my ticket to find out if it really exists. Usually this can be done at the respective airline's website most easily

If you are booking a family or a small number then it is fairly easy to do on line and check up on it.

If however you have a group of 80 people as happened here and they all need to be on the same flight and preferably in the same hotel then an agent would be the best way to go.

You can block book 80 seats on an aircraft and get a reasonable discount and 40 or so rooms in the same hotel would get a good discount too.

They were just unlucky in that they picked a bad choice of agent.

16 hours ago, atyclb said:

maybe worse when you buy a real ticket with airasia final destination phuc quoc island vietnam. phuc quoc is a special economic zone and the only destination in vietnam no visa needed. this is at least 2 years old and the info is clear and passengers can transit to make the connecting flight at any international vietnam airport.  then the staff at airasia never heard of phuc quoc island and refuse to allow passenger to board plane.

following day with a ticket on a competent carrier voyage completed no problem, no visa. just as numerous tourists have done for at least 2 years already.

What Phuc?

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Now looking for "A", good luck with that.

regards worgeordie

If they had the same motto as you do, nemo me impune blabla.. I am sure they would be fired up to find the perpetrators. 

regards worgeordie

Beware even companies like Expedia can't be trusted. On  my return trip from Canada with my family of five we were left stranded on our second stop. It cost me $4000 to get us home. Expedia used the wrong code despite both the airline and Expedia admiting  we have tickets they wouldn't let us board. Expedia said they would reimburse us and they did not.