Phuket officials ponder ways to remove steel rods from Kamala Beach

webfact

Phuket officials ponder ways to remove steel rods from Kamala Beach

Eakkapop Thongtub

1479701453_1-org.jpg

Local officials inspect the rusty steel rods. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Officials from the Kamala Administration Office (OrBorTor) are currently considering the best way to remove several rusty steel bars buried in the sand at Kamala beach which pose a threat to beachgoers.

The Phuket News learned that local residents in Kamala noticed the six rusty rods, which protrude about 50 centimetres out of the sand, last week during low-tide.

Mr Sompong Maisaprao, a local resident and staffer at Kamala OrBorTor, said, “When it is high-tide beachgoers will not be able to see these steel rods, this is very dangerous. The rods cannot be pulled out by hand so machinery will have to be used.”

He went on to say that the rods were placed in the sand some 15 years ago when a shrimp farm operated from the location.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-ponder-ways-to-remove-steel-rods-from-kamala-beach-59927.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-21

I can't believe it's taken this long to do something about this danger. On second thought...yes I can. Why now anyway? 

The amazing thing is, no one has been killed by these spikes sticking out. 

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

bloody ell that is a very hard question to solve, and it made the news lol , i give up . i was thinking helicopter, but then maybe a bit of a sandstorm,he he

These are the guys that manage the place (and this is only 6 of them!), any wonder things are so disconbobulated in Thailand!

1 hour ago, Pungdo said:

A backhoe with a decent 3 or 4 way bucket could grab them, quick wiggle and then just pull them out, not hard, I used to pull star pickets driven a metre or more into clay out with a Dingo back home (Like a small Bobcat)

The Or Bor Tor  here in Kamala already has one !

Dig them out....no hang on...we must take our time and "ponder"...."Somchai be a good lad and go and get some more staff from the office because I am having trouble "pondering" and need some fresh input for the problem we have on how to deal with these rods"

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

they are trying to figure out how to profit from the act of removing them.

Apparently the rods which would have been copper clad were driven into the sand to a depth of at least 2.5m so that electrical equipment could be grounded and used safely. See the 4th paragraph under the heading "Suggested improvements" in this link: http://www.fao.org/3/contents/7783bdd4-fc2b-52bb-99cb-2f0c5553550b/AB753e00.htm#ch3.2.2

I've seen articles in news media of copper wire being nicked in Thailand so all that needs to happen is to let potential thieves know that there are six copper clad rods sitting in the sand waiting for some enterprising individuals to come dig them up.

14 hours ago, Redline said:

Oh my!  are they aware that there is machinery to do nearly every job that needs to be accomplished?  Google it!?

I found an lot of solutions in minutes

Maybe they are wondering how to take the rods out without spending any money....

In many ways this matter is a microcosm of the whole country.

When they decided to remove the fish farm many years ago to make way for a tourist beach, whom ever was  responsible for removing the residue of the farm decided to  leave the job unfinished - probably because it was too hard.

The danger was out of sight, ergo out of mind, until a very low tide, probably related to the super moon, brought the danger to light again forcing those in charge to take some action..

The danger was previously known judging by the half hearted attempts to make the rods safer by putting plastic bottles over them (see link).

Apparently people do swim at that beach, and some tourists must have lost skin on the hazards over the years. Their complaints would have been simply ignored by officials who should have done something about it.

Now that the problem has literally resurfaced, the local authority should have immediately dispatched council machinery to fix the problem.

Instead, they convened a meeting on site, no doubt with travel costs and lunch nearby reimbursed. The next step will to prepare the a submission to send up the line seeking an exorbitant amount of funds to get the job done.

After receipt of funding, they will send the front end loader onto the beach to remove the posts and disperse the monies appropriately. 

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

In many ways this matter is a microcosm of the whole country.

When they decided to remove the fish farm many years ago to make way for a tourist beach, whom ever was  responsible for removing the residue of the farm decided to  leave the job unfinished - probably because it was too hard.

The danger was out of sight, ergo out of mind, until a very low tide, probably related to the super moon, brought the danger to light again forcing those in charge to take some action..

The danger was previously known judging by the half hearted attempts to make the rods safer by putting plastic bottles over them (see link).

Apparently people do swim at that beach, and some tourists must have lost skin on the hazards over the years. Their complaints would have been simply ignored by officials who should have done something about it.

Now that the problem has literally resurfaced, the local authority should have immediately dispatched council machinery to fix the problem.

Instead, they convened a meeting on site, no doubt with travel costs and lunch nearby reimbursed. The next step will to prepare the a submission to send up the line seeking an exorbitant amount of funds to get the job done.

After receipt of funding, they will send the front end loader onto the beach to remove the posts and disperse the monies appropriately. 

Well stated ...