I'm back (i lasted 3 weeks)

cheapskatesam

7 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Well that's where you are wrong.

Course I am....I eat with my Thai friends all the time and must have got it wrong.

Duuuuuuh.

Funnily enough even in the Bangkok suburbs you will find pizza places and burger joints....do you think they are there for the small farang contingent?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow loads of replies.. from the high-rollers (you'll starve to death with 700 quid)  to the more realistic.. 

Not sure what to think now really. My budget will increase next year i'm sure

I'm looking seriously at Chon Buri next time. Half way between Pattaya and BKK so i can easily have a day out at the beach or the city whilst living in a "cheap" rent area.. 

I found this site - http://www.renthub.in.th/en Loads of nice looking places under 10,000.. many of them have facebook pages that reply to messages also :D

I don't smoke and i sometimes drink at the weekend..

I like Thai food.. but sometimes crave a burger or Indian curry

I am hoping to find a good woman to settle down with but i'm not desperate (i'm 29) and i'm very picky.. she must have a job and not think of me as a ATM 

Thaifreindly is a minefield and a waste of time i'll stick to more traditional methods i think.

1 minute ago, cheapskatesam said:

Wow loads of replies.. from the high-rollers (you'll starve to death with 700 quid)  to the more realistic.. 

Not sure what to think now really. My budget will increase next year i'm sure

I'm looking seriously at Chon Buri next time. Half way between Pattaya and BKK so i can easily have a day out at the beach or the city whilst living in a "cheap" rent area.. 

I found this site - http://www.renthub.in.th/en Loads of nice looking places under 10,000.. many of them have facebook pages that reply to messages also :D

I don't smoke and i sometimes drink at the weekend..

I like Thai food.. but sometimes crave a burger or Indian curry

I am hoping to find a good woman to settle down with but i'm not desperate (i'm 29) and i'm very picky.. she must have a job and not think of me as a ATM 

Thaifreindly is a minefield and a waste of time i'll stick to more traditional methods i think.

If you're 29 then the cost of living is the least of your worries. How do you hope to stay here for any length of time without paying a motza for some sort of visa that will allow you to? BTW, I wish you the very best, you have shown a desire for something better, and you're striving toward it!

22 hours ago, swissie said:

You don't need a new plan brother. What you need is more money !

Remember:
- No money = no honey.
- No money = no decent room.
- No money = no medical attention by nobody.
- No money = no respect from local people (Thai's & Farangs).
- No money = no friends.
You should stay home. Cheers.

This comment was well liked, but it's seriously flawed.

I would immediately strike out #1, #4 and #5. You can only buy pretend friends (#5) and fake respect (#4) with money. Who wants that? I certainly don't. Better to just treat Thai people respectfully, keep your distance and don't become personally involved with anyone.

As for "no honey", assuming you mean "girlfriend" - you don't want to be buying one of those either. They could (and do) make the most affluent punters lose their shirts. If you mean "sex", then he can still get some action on his budget, and I'm sure he does.

He'll find a #2 he can live in, which only leaves him with #3 to worry about.

Go for it OP! Have some fun - you only live once.

Edited by tropo

Geez...obviously it depends on what you want to do.

If you just want to "be here" and not do much of anything then you can exist cheaply enough.

In many areas of Bangkok you can get a decent little apartment that is not a shit hole for 4 to 6000 baht a month...with basic furniture and air conditioned as you have to think, where do all the lower wage Thai people, girls more so then men, live in Bangkok.

Believe me there are inexpensive apartments all over Bangkok....but maybe not in an area you like to be...but most areas of Bangkok are more than "accommodating enough" with nearly everything you could need.

If you get a 6000 baht a month apartment and it is very close to a near by large food market that has loads of food and about as cheap as it can be for Bangkok, then that is all you need....that is, if you are content just "Being There" and not doing much else of anything other than use your room for sleeping and eat your food and simply hang around the area getting to know the locals and learn to speak Thai.

You could live like a novelist writing stories about your observation while living amongst the Thais and the character of your neighborhood.

But that would be rather boring for most people while I imagine some would enjoy the experience although rather mundane.

When you start to move about and drink and party and chase the girls, then that is where the money flies out the door and basically the more you entertain yourself the more money flies out the door.

I once met a guy that came here and he claimed he had 600 dollars for 6 months while he walked everywhere he went and told me he walked all the way to Chaing Mai and camped along the way with everything he needed in his large back pack.

The ultimate budget traveler...lol

Cheers

1 hour ago, gemguy said:

Geez...obviously it depends on what you want to do.

If you just want to "be here" and not do much of anything then you can exist cheaply enough.

In many areas of Bangkok you can get a decent little apartment that is not a shit hole for 4 to 6000 baht a month...with basic furniture and air conditioned as you have to think, where do all the lower wage Thai people, girls more so then men, live in Bangkok.

Believe me there are inexpensive apartments all over Bangkok....but maybe not in an area you like to be...but most areas of Bangkok are more than "accommodating enough" with nearly everything you could need.

If you get a 6000 baht a month apartment and it is very close to a near by large food market that has loads of food and about as cheap as it can be for Bangkok, then that is all you need....that is, if you are content just "Being There" and not doing much else of anything other than use your room for sleeping and eat your food and simply hang around the area getting to know the locals and learn to speak Thai.

You could live like a novelist writing stories about your observation while living amongst the Thais and the character of your neighborhood.

But that would be rather boring for most people while I imagine some would enjoy the experience although rather mundane.

When you start to move about and drink and party and chase the girls, then that is where the money flies out the door and basically the more you entertain yourself the more money flies out the door.

I once met a guy that came here and he claimed he had 600 dollars for 6 months while he walked everywhere he went and told me he walked all the way to Chaing Mai and camped along the way with everything he needed in his large back pack.

The ultimate budget traveler...lol

Cheers

Odd that you think the only two options are 'do nothing' or 'drink and chase the girls'. 

Is that seriously the only pastime you can think of that a man might occupy himself with? How sad. 

20 hours ago, mcfish said:

Don't even think about it there are no nice apartments in your price range in an expats area and you want to learn Thai if you want anything half decent and 20 miles away from prime locations such as asoke, oh and good luck getting cab at night and if you do your in 1 hour traffic!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I pay 8000 for rent in Bangkok, right next to a BTS station.  Live in a nice building, great pool and lots of shops etc around the area.  

BTS into Asoke takes about 15 mins.   

Taxi back home at night costs 80 baht, never ever a problem to get one to take me and the trip is about 15 mins or less.

The OP just needs better condo hunting skills.

On 11/27/2016 at 9:02 AM, chiang mai said:

So a westerner can easily live In Bangkok on THB 30k a month!!!!

my budget is 23k, no rent all paid for. Unless you eat out at expensive places and are splashing out on whores it's hard to spend 30k

9 minutes ago, thai3 said:

my budget is 23k, no rent all paid for. Unless you eat out at expensive places and are splashing out on whores it's hard to spend 30k

That's great, are you Thai and/or do you live/eat like a Thai?

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

But that assumes 1 of either 2 things:

--you already spent a sizeable amount of your own money to buy someplace outright (money the OP presumably doesn't have).

or

--you've living in someplace that someone else is paying for.  Charity is always an option, but that's not really what people are talking about here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

Udomsuk.  

On Nut to Asoke would only take about 8 mins on the BTS.

There seems to be a somewhat emerging community of farangs around Udomsuk, drawn presumably by the lower housing prices and the access provided by the arrival of BTS there. A decent area to live and not bereft of amenities, from everything I've heard.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There seems to be a somewhat emerging community of farangs around Udomsuk, drawn presumably by the lower housing prices and the access provided by the arrival of BTS there. A decent area to live and not bereft of amenities, from everything I've heard.

I've been living in this building for more than 4 years.  Before moving here I lived on Sukhumvit 22 and before that in On Nut.  

My condo in On Nut was 40,000 a month, then to save money I moved to Sukhumvit 22 where I paid 8000 for a pretty crappy room with no facilities.

I moved out here to live in a nicer place, without needing to pay lots more for rent. 

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

I pay 8000 for rent in Bangkok, right next to a BTS station.  Live in a nice building, great pool and lots of shops etc around the area.  

BTS into Asoke takes about 15 mins.   

Taxi back home at night costs 80 baht, never ever a problem to get one to take me and the trip is about 15 mins or less.

The OP just needs better condo hunting skills.

Would you share the exact place with me in PM? The problem with a lot of these places is the contact thing. I would like to rent monthly only.. no 6 month contract, because anything could happen. At a push i could probably do a 3 month contract and just lose the money if i have to bail out the country early. I have no delusions about being able to live in Thailand permanently because of the VISA restrictions etc.. I think my long term future will be Vietnam. i have a friend there already and the VISA rules are much more easy for a British citizen to live constantly.. with visa runs.

I can either live in shitty England working 9-5 to pay my £500 rent + bills + expensive food... whilst trying to grow my online ventures a few hours a day in my spare time..

or live in Thailand not working 9-5 with a interesting city/places to explore.. nice girls to meet nice food to eat and the experience of learning to live in a new country for a few months (at least)

9 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

You think Udomsuk is less than 15 mins by cab from Asoke?

Bless you. But no. 

I take cabs home at least once if not twice a week and have done for years.   Unless there is a road block, which I've not seen in ages, then yes the trip is quick.

Never timed it but it certainly feels like 15 mins or so.

How long do you think it takes?

Just now, seancbk said:

I take cabs home at least once if not twice a week and have done for years.   Unless there is a road block, which I've not seen in ages, then yes the trip is quick.

20 mins on a good day - which is basically never. Up to 40 the rest of the time. Longer during the day. 

Its 10km on Sukhumvit. Unless your taxi has rotor blades, that's never taking  less than 15 mins. 

2 minutes ago, cheapskatesam said:

Would you share the exact place with me in PM? The problem with a lot of these places is the contact thing. I would like to rent monthly only.. no 6 month contract, because anything could happen. At a push i could probably do a 3 month contract and just lose the money if i have to bail out the country early. I have no delusions about being able to live in Thailand permanently because of the VISA restrictions etc.. I think my long term future will be Vietnam. i have a friend there already and the VISA rules are much more easy for a British citizen to live constantly.. with visa runs.

I can either live in shitty England working 9-5 to pay my £500 rent + bills + expensive food... whilst trying to grow my online ventures a few hours a day in my spare time..

or live in Thailand not working 9-5 with a interesting city/places to explore.. nice girls to meet nice food to eat and the experience of learning to live in a new country for a few months (at least)

The problem you will face is that you want to do short term rentals. 

I live in a condo, not an apartment building.   Condo owners do not want people on less than 1 year contracts, whereas apartment buildings will allow it (usually) although the price goes up for shorter rental terms.

Just so you know the difference between a condo building and an apartment building.   You can have 2 identical buildings, one has units owned by individual owners who live in them or rent them out - That is a Condo building.  

The other building is owner by a single entity (a company) and the units are rented out by that company - That is an apartment building.

3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:
6 minutes ago, seancbk said:

20 mins on a good day - which is basically never. Up to 40 the rest of the time. Longer during the day. 

Its 10km on Sukhumvit. Unless your taxi has rotor blades, that's never taking  less than 15 mins. 

I use the BTS during the day if I'm going into town.

I only use taxis if the BTS has stopped.   Typically I'm not going home until at least 1 am, sometimes much later.   At that time of night there is rarely any traffic.

Just now, seancbk said:

I use the BTS during the day if I'm going into town.

I only use taxis if the BTS has stopped.   Typically I'm not going home until at least 1 am, sometimes much later.   At that time of night there is rarely any traffic.

I'm talking about late at night. Sure, it's quicker, but it's not that quick. Udomsuk is a long way out. 

I think my long term future will be Vietnam. i have a friend there already and the VISA rules are much more easy for a British citizen to live constantly.. with visa runs.

OT but I thought the only option for UK citizens was to leave Vietnam every 90 days...

If you know something different, could you PM me any links etc...

Thx

JB