Renewing an expired Thai Driving Licence

Arandora

My Thai Driving Licence is due for renewal for the second time on 11th January 2017 but unfortunately I have had to cancel our return scheduled for next Tuesday due to my wife needing an operation now scheduled for that day. We hope to return as soon as she has recovered and given clearance to flying the New Year but it is likely to be after my Thai DL renewal. How long do I have to renew it and can I drive a hire car on my UK DL plus an IDP expiring in October 2016? I will have a Non Imm O Visa when we return, a letter from our accommodation owner to be registered at Phang Nga Immigration Office,  photo, medical certificate from local doctor, anything else? 

Thanks in advance. 

Thanks Steven. Yes well aware of UK DL requirements. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, madmax2 said:

About 40% of people stopped at police check points have no license, they just pay he fine and drive away and will not be fined the same day again, about 500 baht

Trying to avoid driving without any form of licence until Thai one renewed. 

If you have a current valid license to ride or drive from your home country you will not have any problems, to make it fully legal a current International driving permit is required but rarely if ever asked for

When first here in Thailand i had a IDP and no police i showed it to new what it was

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

If you have a current valid license to ride or drive from your home country you will not have any problems, to make it fully legal a current International driving permit is required but rarely if ever asked for

When first here in Thailand i had a IDP and no police i showed it to new what it was

"to make it fully legal a current International driving permit is required but rarely if ever asked for"

It's the other way round: sometimes it is asked for but not legally required.

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

Just wait until you have an accident and kill someone and your insurance refuses to pay.

20 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I was led to believe he wouldn't have a Thai license or an International one. 

A UK license is not enough, or so I was told.

As was mentioned many times earlier, also in this thread, a UK license is all that is legally required (with some provisions). IDP is not legally required, but police officers may nevertheless ask for it.

One of the most senior police officers in Phuket in queries and answers of a local newspaper said a international driving permit is required to drive/ride in Thailand,  they do not insist on it and except a valid foreign  vehicle or bike license from experience

He is probably wrong if someone who posts on chat forums says he is though

What would one of the most senior police officers in Phuket know about vehicle or motorbike license requirements

Also a VTP pamphlet for tourists says a IDP is required, they must be wrong to 

Edited by madmax2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Insurance company  requirements regarding drivers license is paramount..

Correct and with travel insurance its important to read the fine print on a policy

A lot of travel insurance policies will not cover you for riding a motorbike in Thailand, even if you are licensed to ride one in your home country, some will not even cover you if you are a passenger on a motorbike in asia in general

Same applies to jetskis and parasailing and a lot of other things, Insurance companies are not your friend and will not pay out if they are not legally obliged to

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

This question comes up every couple of months. Do a search here and you'll find the exact regulations and reasons why an IDP is NOT required.

This is a direct quote from a booklet available at any tourist police office and a lot of other places frequented by tourists,printed with the kind support of the British Embassy in Bangkok

Driving license for car or motorcycle

if you are in Thailand on a tourist visa you must have an international driving permit (license) you cannot use your license from your home country unless the license was issued in Laos,Malaysia or Singapore

Some unscrupulous rental companies will claim you can drive or ride legally in Thailand on your home country license- that is not true- be warned

The booklet is called   (Welcome to PHUKET) and easily available if you look for it

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

This is a direct quote from a booklet available at any tourist police office and a lot of other places frequented by tourists,printed with the kind support of the British Embassy in Bangkok

Driving license for car or motorcycle

if you are in Thailand on a tourist visa you must have an international driving permit (license) you cannot use your license from your home country unless the license was issued in Laos,Malaysia or Singapore

Some unscrupulous rental companies will claim you can drive or ride legally in Thailand on your home country license- that is not true- be warned

The booklet is called   (Welcome to PHUKET) and easily available if you look for it

Yes, embassies, consulates and AA organisations worldwide keep repeating the same information. All based on AA's who have a commercial interest in this.

That information is NOT correct.

Do a search here and you'll find the correct information.

Better safe than sorry is my motto so I had an IDP and a UK DL when I first took out my Thai DL which was a good job as the Transport Office in Takua Pa refused my UK DL when proffered and said I needed an IDP which fortunately I had. When a truck full of drunken Thais took me and my wife off the road while I was driving on my Thai DL. When my Budget rental guy acting as interpreter with the Police Inspector in the post crash interview asked at my request what would have happened if i was driving on my UL licence he was told that was not good enough and I would have needed an IDP. 

Whilst it is the definitive regulations that matter in a court of law it is the inconsistent application of those regulations in various parts of the country by those who are supposed to know and consistently apply them that matters most to me. Others may take a less risk averse view. 

Sorry this topic veered off into the debate about IDP or no IDP but that in itself indicates the fundamental problem of the issue and with respect to Stevenl's views which I have often argued against I simply do not accept that ".. embassies, consulates and AA organisations worldwide keep repeating the same information. All based on AA's who have a commercial interest in this" as it is those sources principally that visitors to Thailand rely on when getting information on Driving Licence requirements in Thailand not on members on a forum who hold conflicting views. 

• Like 2

On 29/11/2016 at 1:21 PM, stevenl said:

As was mentioned many times earlier, also in this thread, a UK license is all that is legally required (with some provisions). IDP is not legally required, but police officers may nevertheless ask for it.

You are mistaken, a UK license is NOT valid here. 

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Please quote the law that says so.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

If I get any free time, I'd be happy to search for a law that states this.

In the meantime, can you quote any law that says you can drive with a UK license?

In the past, it was only valid for about 3  months but the problem was when getting insurance.

I think those 3 or 6 months only counted if you were not a resident, i.e  a tourist.

Why do you think people get a Thai license?

I've known some people to get screwed by only having a UK license, the insurance never paid!!!

In my experience(31 years), anyone taking this risk is foolish.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2016 at 11:47 AM, Johnniey said:

Just wait until you have an accident and kill someone and your insurance refuses to pay.

I have over the past few years had 2 big-ish claims, one when I was rear-ended at speed on the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway by an uninsured driver and the other after my car was keyed and the whole car was repainted by a Honda dealer.   At the time I was driving on a UK licence and had no issue at all with the claims to Viriyah, my insurer.  Maybe it would have been different if I had killed someone, who knows until it happens?

If I get any free time, I'd be happy to search for a law that states this.

In the meantime, can you quote any law that says you can drive with a UK license?

In the past, it was only valid for about 3  months but the problem was when getting insurance.

I think those 3 or 6 months only counted if you were not a resident, i.e  a tourist.

Why do you think people get a Thai license?

I've known some people to get screwed by only having a UK license, the insurance never paid!!!

In my experience(31 years), anyone taking this risk is foolish.

I have done that quite a few times already, but every few months somebody comes along with the same.

Home license is valid for 3 months, for a longer stay Thai DL is required.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1 December 2016 at 12:25 AM, stevenl said:

I have done that quite a few times already, but every few months somebody comes along with the same.

Home license is valid for 3 months, for a longer stay Thai DL is required.

International DL valid for 3 months only, leave,come back, another 3 months, etc. What's the latest info info on renewing expired Thai DL, 5 months expired? No guesses or assumptions please. 

1 hour ago, cleverman said:

International DL valid for 3 months only, leave,come back, another 3 months, etc. What's the latest info info on renewing expired Thai DL, 5 months expired? No guesses or assumptions please. 

"International DL valid for 3 months only, leave,come back, another 3 months, etc."

Maybe, if you're lucky accepted. I would look at it as abusing the law.

"What's the latest info info on renewing expired Thai DL, 5 months expired?"

Nothing has changed, up to one year after expiration without additional testing required.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:57 PM, upu2 said:

My computer may be having a fit but is the date his license expires really 2017? If so he has missed the boat

Can't be bothered to check, but the thread is from 2016.

• 9 months later...

I had family business to attend to in Bangkok and forgot that my 5 year Thai drivers licence expired yesterday. Can I still renew it even though it's expired. If so I'll do it immediately. Thanks.

12 hours ago, Mason45 said:

I had family business to attend to in Bangkok and forgot that my 5 year Thai drivers licence expired yesterday. Can I still renew it even though it's expired. If so I'll do it immediately. Thanks.

Yes..You will probably get near 6 years on the new one...

On 5/15/2019 at 7:30 PM, Mason45 said:

I believe you can do it upto 6 months without going through all the videos and the like