Brazil Chapecoense football team in Colombia plane crash

mrbojangles

Really sad news. R.I.P.

Brazil Chapecoense football team in Colombia plane crash

A plane carrying 81 people, including a top Brazilian football team, has crashed on its approach to the city of Medellin in Colombia.

Police say five people survived the crash but the rest of those on board died.

The chartered aircraft, flying from Brazil via Bolivia, was carrying members of the Chapecoense team.

The team was due to play in the final of the Copa Sudamericana, against Medellin team Atletico Nacional.

The first leg of the final of the cup, South America's second most important club competition, was scheduled for Wednesday, but has now been suspended.

The match was seen as the biggest in the history of the relatively small club, which entered Brazil's top division for the first time in 2014.

The South American Football Confederation (Conmebol) said it was suspending "all activities".

Full story:- http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38140981

I remember after the 1958 Manchester United Munich air disaster where 8 of the 'Busby babes' were killed, the protocol was changed in the UK so that the full team was never in one plane at a time. Away matches meant the team was split into at least two planes. In the 70s this was still done.

Looks like over time that lesson has been forgotten. Nowadays you see footage of premier teams travelling to away Euro matches in a plane and the full team, costing millions is all there, in one plane.

12 minutes ago, katana said:

I remember after the 1958 Manchester United Munich air disaster where 8 of the 'Busby babes' were killed, the protocol was changed in the UK so that the full team was never in one plane at a time. Away matches meant the team was split into at least two planes. In the 70s this was still done.

Looks like over time that lesson has been forgotten. Nowadays you see footage of premier teams travelling to away Euro matches in a plane and the full team, costing millions is all there, in one plane.

would think that's because air travel has become much, much safer over the last 50 years or so. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was the same plane that was used by the Argentina squad, Messi and all, when they travelled to play Brazil in the WC qualifier just a couple of weeks back. Although the latest news seems to be indicating the possibility of running out of fuel rather than a problem with the plane.

So so sad. RIP.

23 hours ago, katana said:

Not just European games; most EPL teams fly for long distance domestic matches. I imagine safety data is available for planes v trains v coaches.