What has happened to the high season?

cyberfarang

Don't know about the rest of yous but my friends and I had a good Party down Yummy Pizza at the weekend, complete with music curtsy of Toni.

Good Festive season lunches due at Sausage King on 23rd and Yummy on 25th.

The festive season is out there just go and find it .

No use sitting at home. and getting on the net.

john

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

If theres one thing thats the number one issue for me for expat life as opposed to tourist life.. Its the traffic.. Its just crazy.. And I am living WAY outside the city already.. Forget taking a truck into town unless it absolutely cannot be avoided. 

Every in out road.. every ring rd.. Every route and shortcut.. Just crazy amounts of vehicles at almost any time in the day.. Forget the hang dong rd or mae rim rd at rush hours.. Add in the horrendous me first pushing in and jostling for position at every light and junction.. 

They are expanding and building roads as fast as they can.. Dual laning the outer ring.. Dual laning the Canal Rd to Sanpatong bypass.. But the volume of vehicles rising exponentially faster than the roads being made. 

I have no idea what the answer is, but its a genuine negative, not only here but almost country wide. A good thing at least the climate lends itself to scooter riding (tho almost cleared out again for the sin of stopping at a light already gone red, pickup behind assumed I would jump it and was racing to follow).. 

Anyway, thats my mornings grumble.

A motorbike would be a must.  Maybe CM skytrain?  Just joking they can really do nothing about the infrastructure which was probably established 40 to 50 years ago with no widening or much improvements. Now traffic is 20 times what it was back then.

Just for info. the house I looked at was brand new construction in a nice area with a big lot. It was 2 million b and would be 20 million in California.  Just too much in the boondocks for me.

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

If theres one thing thats the number one issue for me for expat life as opposed to tourist life.. Its the traffic.. Its just crazy.. And I am living WAY outside the city already.. Forget taking a truck into town unless it absolutely cannot be avoided. 

Every in out road.. every ring rd.. Every route and shortcut.. Just crazy amounts of vehicles at almost any time in the day.. Forget the hang dong rd or mae rim rd at rush hours.. Add in the horrendous me first pushing in and jostling for position at every light and junction.. 

They are expanding and building roads as fast as they can.. Dual laning the outer ring.. Dual laning the Canal Rd to Sanpatong bypass.. But the volume of vehicles rising exponentially faster than the roads being made. 

I have no idea what the answer is, but its a genuine negative, not only here but almost country wide. A good thing at least the climate lends itself to scooter riding (tho almost cleared out again for the sin of stopping at a light already gone red, pickup behind assumed I would jump it and was racing to follow).. 

Anyway, thats my mornings grumble.

My thoughts exactly. I almost never go into town anymore to meet someone for lunch because it's too much hassle getting in, and there is never anywhere to park. From 15:00-18:00 it's impossible to run an errand or anything as you can't park anywhere. Navigating the sois around Nimman, etc. - forget it. And the lights that are manned by the traffic police....sometimes the wait is more than 5 or 6 minutes and often one must wait 2-3 lights to get through an intersection. I hate that!

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

My thoughts exactly. I almost never go into town anymore to meet someone for lunch because it's too much hassle getting in, and there is never anywhere to park. From 15:00-18:00 it's impossible to run an errand or anything as you can't park anywhere. Navigating the sois around Nimman, etc. - forget it. And the lights that are manned by the traffic police....sometimes the wait is more than 5 or 6 minutes and often one must wait 2-3 lights to get through an intersection. I hate that!

Ditto - 

We are just moving a little further out further down 108/Canal Rd....The traffic is less insane - but getting worse....The widening of Canal Rd is going to impact the ease/safety of getting in & out of many of the MooBaans in a bad way....

But not anywhere near what the city has become - especially when the "tourist" riders/drivers/bikers start negotiating the roads with methods based on "divine privilege" idiocy -without a thought of road presence, location, or self preservation ....Better off far away from that mess - I actually enjoy the city & bopping around in it - but by and large it's too much of a hassle anymore....It used to be a simple in and out....Parking around the moat has become much more difficult.....

One bright light is some good places to eat are also spreading away from the city.....Second bright side - don't have to look at the state of some of the farangs walking the city - many times some of the back packers look cleaner - and, at least are smiling and lively.....

24 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

We are just moving a little further out further down 108/Canal Rd....The traffic is less insane - but getting worse....The widening of Canal Rd is going to impact the ease/safety of getting in & out of many of the MooBaans in a bad way....

Years ago I arrived to CNX and had a couple of days with an agent looking for rentals and considering land.. Looked at a really nice home that I wrote off as being way too far out... 

Now I live in the same village, have bought a nice few rai for the missus.. And my fear is it may not be far enough. Luckily for us we are also well back into the village from the canal rd.. But the rate at which homes and development is happening I really do wonder. Dawn is roosters and birdsong now, but for how long ?? 

Seems the Grand Canyon is a curse too.. The hordes arriving !! 

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Ditto - 

But not anywhere near what the city has become - especially when the "tourist" riders/drivers/bikers start negotiating the roads with methods based on "divine privilege" idiocy -without a thought of road presence, location, or self preservation ....Better off far away from that mess - I actually enjoy the city & bopping around in it - but by and large it's too much of a hassle anymore....It used to be a simple in and out....Parking around the moat has become much more difficult.....

One bright light is some good places to eat are also spreading away from the city.....Second bright side - don't have to look at the state of some of the farangs walking the city - many times some of the back packers look cleaner - and, at least are smiling and lively.....

Couple of times I've seen packs of gonk westerners riding in packs maybe 10-15 strong on 100-125 cc tarmac rippers, strung out across one or two lanes cruising at 15-20 mph like they're some kind 'Easy Rider / Sons of Anarchy' biker gang riding in to take over the town.  Would REALLY pi55 me off if I was a car driver stuck behind them, then again, I'm not sure some of the Thai pick-up or even songtaew drivers would have tolerated it for long had they got behind them.  Maybe they thought they looked cool or maybe they were a bunch of 'Digital Pikeys' out on a team-building exercise discussing their, already 3 year long, 'start-up phase'  :post-4641-1156693976:

Pity there were no BIB traffic patrols around for a bumper tea-money harvest.

Edited by SooKee

7 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Years ago I arrived to CNX and had a couple of days with an agent looking for rentals and considering land.. Looked at a really nice home that I wrote off as being way too far out... 

Now I live in the same village, have bought a nice few rai for the missus.. And my fear is it may not be far enough. Luckily for us we are also well back into the village from the canal rd.. But the rate at which homes and development is happening I really do wonder. Dawn is roosters and birdsong now, but for how long ?? 

Seems the Grand Canyon is a curse too.. The hordes arriving !! 

We had the comment 'why did you buy right out here in BWT,Hang Dong 9 years ago.Now Hang Dong Rd can be like a parking lot.Exiting Big C Mae Hia is a nightmare and Canal Rd will soon hit grid lock at entry on to CM.Interesting too see congestion over NY when the Bangkokian's arrive.Nobody in the decision making dept thought about this

Last week on Tuesday and Thursday evening I was in the town on business. Drove all around the town on my motorbike between 9.00 pm and 10.00 pm and it was completely dead. Even the night market only had a trickle of tourists. Then I motorbiked home to the far reaches of Hang Dong on the 108, same thing hardly any traffic at all, zoomed along and I was home in a flash.

re

Drove all around the town on my motorbike between 9.00 pm and 10.00 pm and it was completely dead

the bar boxing centre in loi kroh road was as bad on sunday night !

it was spot the customer .... not :(

nana plaza and soi cowboy in bangkok tonight have got got a little bit

of life tonight and the xmas tree at teminal 21 was worth seeing

even the santa in soi cowboy got in on the act with his two finger salute

but i dont know which way round his hand was ?

dave2 ... off to kuala lumpur for xmas tomorrow :) then angeles city for new year

bar boxing ring empty 18 dec 16 20161218_190556.jpg

bar boxing ring empty 18 dec 16 20161218_211709~01.jpg

xmas tree teminal 21 bangkok 19 dec 16 20161219_195804_001.jpg

xmas santa soi cowboy bangkok 19 dec 16 20161219_204749.jpg

re

That 35 THB duck meal is hard to beat at thet21 food court

uhhh ?

i dont do food courts anywhere :(

if your in nana plaza the only place for a binge . gore. stuff yourself silly

until your stuffed ... on good food ... is hanrahans  .... expensive but good !

their beef stew is to die for !

beef stew and coke for 390 baht this afternoon  ... bargain :)

dave2

hanrahans bar beef stew soi 4 nana plaza  5 mar 15 20150305_124956.jpg

rr hanrahans soi 4 nana plaza 6 mar 15 2015-03-06 20.23.33.jpg

8 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Last week on Tuesday and Thursday evening I was in the town on business. Drove all around the town on my motorbike between 9.00 pm and 10.00 pm and it was completely dead. Even the night market only had a trickle of tourists. Then I motorbiked home to the far reaches of Hang Dong on the 108, same thing hardly any traffic at all, zoomed along and I was home in a flash.

Motorbike.. 10pm.. On a tuesday... 

er.. yeah..k.. 

7 hours ago, dave2 said:

the bar boxing centre in loi kroh road was as bad on sunday night !

it was spot the customer .... not :(

bar boxing ring empty 18 dec 16 20161218_190556.jpg

bar boxing ring empty 18 dec 16 20161218_211709~01.jpg

Does seem to show.. With a concerted effort.. they really can kill that segment of the market by pressure alone if they try.. 

Same time of night down Niman... Or Maldives infinity zone.. Etc etc.. 

10 hours ago, dave2 said:

re

uhhh ?

dave2

hanrahans bar beef stew soi 4 nana plaza  5 mar 15 20150305_124956.jpg

rr hanrahans soi 4 nana plaza 6 mar 15 2015-03-06 20.23.33.jpg

Doesn't do the best foodcourt in Thailand, but will do Christmas in the Philippines and a stop at the ladyboy capital of the world, on the way......better check again for bloodclots.

duck3.jpg

duck2.jpg

duck1.jpg

Doesn't do the best foodcourt in Thailand, but will do Christmas in the Philippines and a stop at the ladyboy capital of the world, on the way......better check again for bloodclots.
duck3.jpg.73f0af2505fb162c80da8b6159931521.jpg
duck2.jpg.afcc51766291c81d93238205b6e246bc.jpg
duck1.jpg.e7f447e7e1cde67db077113aa8213e73.jpg

Yes I've had the stew and it's good but off the planet expensive! That's around 15 oz dollars for bowl of stew!!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, dave2 said:

re

uhhh ?

dave2

Haven't been there in about 9 years but excellent!

re

Doesn't do the best foodcourt in Thailand, but will do Christmas in the Philippines

no no no :(

im doing xmas in kuala lumpur and arrived there today

then angeles city for new year then baloy beach in cibu bay for ? days 

then back to manila

then bangkok and home to chiang mai somewhere mid january ish ?

dave2

ps theyve got some lovely xmas decorations here and i had a lovely fruit

and cream pavlova for pudding  

xmas santa kuala lumpur 20 dec 16 20161220_181818~01.jpg

tropical fruit merangue pavlova kuala lumpur 20 ringit 20 dec 16 20161220_191604~01.jpg

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

While the local crowd may be going for the expensive beer in some out of the way back road, that does ZERO to attract tourists, and this thread is about tourists, and why they aren't coming.

It's a long time since I was a lad in Singapore and looking for nightlife. There were many fantastic venues in the big hotels, with excellent architecture and ambience. Many a night I spent in an hotel bar listening to great live bands. How many C M hotels have good live bands?

Other than the hotel bars, the place to go in Singapore around midnight was Bugis Street. Always full of people having a drink and a great time. The C M equivalent would be Loi Kroh, but that is a palid dead version of Bugis.

C M just doesn't have anything that appeals to young tourists after dark. They want music and dancing. Thousands turn up every month on Phangan to do that.

If C M has no high season, they need look only to themselves for the answer. Plenty of temples and tours in the day time, sod all after dark.

Bugis Street / Xiao Po  an equivalent to Loi Kroh - really??? LOL

You cannot compare a place shut down 30 years ago in the mid eighties to nowadays. 

Phangan atmosphere?  Have you ever been to Zoe in Yellow? The only problem is the enforced shut down at midnight

35 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

the place to go in Singapore around midnight was Bugis Street. Always full of people having a drink and a great time.

I don't think watching a bunch of drunken sailors doing the 'Dance of the flaming a**eholes' with a flaming newspaper stuffed up their rear end or being chased down the street by a meat cleaver wielding Katoy is anyone's idea of fun except ex matelots!

Not even what the OP has in mind I suspect

Edited by scottiejohn
typo

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I don't think watching a bunch of drunken sailors doing the 'Dance of the flaming a@*&holes' with a flaming newspaper stuffed up their rear end or being chased down the street by a meat cleaver wielding Katoy is anyone's idea of fun except ex matelots!

If you quote me, then please do it right. - That sentence isn't from me, but part of my quotation of Thaibeachlover.

Anyway - Bugis is nowadays far from being a party area (no matter, of which kind...). You can do your shopping there until 9pm, afterwards, it's dead.