Retirement Extension - nice experience

After all the negative stuff l hear about immigrationits always stressful doing the annual extension.

Yesterday l arrived at Pathum Thani immigration at 1pm for my nth extension and was out the door at 2.10pm, despite the additional forms they wanted conpleted and a fairly busy office.

My paperwork was checked very thoroughly but the staff were friendly and helpful.

My experience isnt new and l have rarely had any problems with the staff at the three different offices l have used over the years.

Have the required paperwork, manage a small chat and a smile with a little patience.

It amazes me how the staff can cope with their work load and stay so cool and polite.

I would add that my yellow house book was not accepted but l had the householder with me, along with his docs.

l was also given the foreigners information form which was about 2/3rds of an A4 page long.

Edited by Guest
additional info

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement to go to the office where you got your extension to have your stamps transferred (visas are not transferred) as far as I know. Perhaps a call to 1111 or 1178 is needed.

The worst case scenario would be if Udon refused to do it because you no longer live there.

There may be no requirement, but the same run around happened to me two years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicowoodduck said:

Was at Jomtien Immigration today doing my extenton paperwork...in at 8:30 and out by 8:45....???

Yes if your paperwork is fully in order, doing extensions at Jomtien can be very quick and painless. I guess we should be very grateful compared to common horror stories from some other offices. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

It's always nice to hear about good experiences.   In my  dreams there would be a way to renew my May 12th retirement extension in February, just cutting it short by three months and giving me a period of stay of one year from the date that I renewed. I would like to be out of the country from March 1st to December 1st.   In my non- bureaucratic mind it would possible. Of course we all know that the only way to adjust the expiration date of your period of stay is to re-enter the country about 150 days before you want your next retirement extension to become effective and make three trips to Immigration.   It would save the country money if it could be otherwise.   Just dreaming..... 

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

It's always nice to hear about good experiences.   In my  dreams there would be a way to renew my May 12th retirement extension in February, just cutting it short by three months and giving me a period of stay of one year from the date that I renewed. I would like to be out of the country from March 1st to December 1st.   In my non- bureaucratic mind it would possible. Of course we all know that the only way to adjust the expiration date of your period of stay is to re-enter the country about 150 days before you want your next retirement extension to become effective and make three trips to Immigration.   It would save the country money if it could be otherwise.   Just dreaming..... 

Dream on !!

2 hours ago, diehard71 said:

when you get a new passport you can ask your embassy for a certificate to transfer your visa to your new passport at the thai immigration office.

Visas are never transferred and while the embassy letter may or may not be a requirement to transfer extension stamps, depending on the immigration office you use, that has nothing to do with the issue of which office will do the transfer.

13 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Don't forget that you would be switching from low season (May) to high season (February) when you could find yourself competing for attention at your local immigration office with hordes of tourists seeking extensions. Your dream could well turn out to be a nightmare in practice!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Was at Jomtien Immigration today doing my extenton paperwork...in at 8:30 and out by 8:45....???

Yes I too would like to compliment Jomtiem on an efficient turnaround.

I did renew early to avoid expected crowds later this month, but I didn't bother getting there until nearly 11am, and out by 11.15, collected passport the next day.

On 12/1/2016 at 7:33 PM, Suradit69 said:

Visas are never transferred and while the embassy letter may or may not be a requirement to transfer extension stamps, depending on the immigration office you use, that has nothing to do with the issue of which office will do the transfer.

Not so sure what occurs these days but a few years ago when I got a new US passport the Consulate provided me the transfer letter to take to immigration. I went to immigration with my new passport in hand looking to get the visa extension stamp transferred and what do you know, I forgot the transfer letter at home! I decided to wait in queue and give it a go. Immigration transferred the visa extension stamp without any issue....  NOTE: This occurred a few years ago and at the airport location.

On 1/12/2559 at 5:03 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes if your paperwork is fully in order, doing extensions at Jomtien can be very quick and painless. I guess we should be very grateful compared to common horror stories from some other offices. 

On 2/12/2559 at 7:24 AM, Munotlaw said:

A neighbour of mine was facing the same problem; a well known agent in Pattaya could solve it at Pattaya immigration in 5 minutes for a cost of 5k. (transfering visa)

Munotlaw

That, of course, should not be necessary.

On 1/12/2559 at 3:27 PM, chicowoodduck said:

I find that turn round time remarkable.I would have said unbelievable if others hadn't confirmed similar experiences.

In my neck of the woods you can add at least another hour.

I look forward to doing my next extension in Jomtien.