Tourism Authority trying to lure back Chinese tourists

webfact

Tourism Authority trying to lure back Chinese tourists

By Coconuts Bangkok

12869326413_6db02dbb3b_z_0.jpg

Photo: Judithbluepool/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is aiming to attract more tourists from China following the drop in arrivals caused by bad experiences provided by shady low-cost tour operators organizing trips to Thailand.

TAT’s East Asia Region Executive Director Srisuda Wanapinyosak, said today that the TAT is now targeting tourists from China after the number of Chinese tourists to Thailand was affected by the government’s effort to eradicate illegal tour operators from China, and to push for an expansion of the tourism market in this year’s final quarter, reported Thai News Bureau.

She said the TAT had already allocated THB50 million to launch campaigns with five TAT offices in China, to help 53 Thai businesses, and to promote Thai tourism products, specifically seaside tourism as many parts of China are now beginning to have cold weather.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/12/01/tourism-authority-trying-lure-back-chinese-tourists

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-12-02

2 hours ago, webfact said:

drop in arrivals caused by bad experiences provided by shady low-cost tour operators organizing trips to Thailand.

The Thais do not like the shady no Baht tours, but that is NOT what has caused bad experiences for Chinese Tourists :D

39 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

The Thais do not like the shady no Baht tours, but that is NOT what has caused bad experiences for Chinese Tourists :D

Yeah, this logic has a few flaws.  The tourist dropoff didn't start until the crackdown on the zero baht operators.  Chinese tourists seemed to have no problem with it until Thailand had a problem with it.  

It's still a scummy practice but I'm assuming that real uproar in all of this stems from the Chinese not spending the money the merchants thought they would so they're losing money.  

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Is the drop because of the so called shady tour operators and chinese guides or is it because thailand has banned chinese tour guides.  maybe the chinese prefer thier own language speakers

No, it is because the Thai government confiscated a few BILLION Baht in assets from the Chinese tour operators, which went down the wrong way for obvious reasons

Fascinating how government idiots and inbred elites think that business is just so easy.  They feel they can turn it on and off like a tap.  The truth is customers are hard to keep and easy to lose. 

It will be interesting one day to see how and who the zero RMB tours affected adversely.  It will go down in history in tourism studies as what a government should NOT do.  Using words like "exploit" and "lure" are poor choices too.

TAT, just did not realise that the Chinese tourists , have options of

where to take holidays,and some reports from returning tourists

from Thailand,about experiences there,must have spread like

Chinese whispers. now it's, please come back we really need you.

regards worgeordie

Partly the tours thing and partly upsetting them through showing the badly behaved up I reckon... unfortunately, where the Chinese are concerned, you have to expect it, they're not the most culturally-mannered folk. Can't have your cake and eat it, Muang Thai. If you want hordes of Chinese, best to keep quiet when they misbehave... and THEY WILL.

" Tourism Authority Trying To Lure Back Chinese Tourists"

By providing them with complimentary nunchucks, tasers,  knuckledusters and pepper spray on arrival for use at the Battle Royal at their hotel's all you can eat seafood buffet.

Smacks of desperation from TAT.... The Europeans, Americans have left in their droves and now the Chinese. The next genre to leave en masse will be the retirees with restrictive visas possibly being introduced... 

The tourism gravy train is drying up..Thailand isn't a cheap destination anymore, and many people are realizing that fact... better cancel all those airport expansion projects..:smile:

"Lost in Thailand" did for Chinese tourism what "The Beach" did for western tourism.  Wears off sooner or later.

TAT just needs to hire a Chinese director to film another movie featuring Chinese people having an adventure in Thailand.  

Preferably without zombies or man eating sharks.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Is the drop because of the so called shady tour operators and chinese guides or is it because thailand has banned chinese tour guides.  maybe the chinese prefer thier own language speakers

No, China wants all the money paid by the customers, in their own pockets.

Additionally the "squeeze" received from Chinese operators in Thailand, Thai or Chinese, is the extra bonus.

Got nothing to do with Chinese speakers, it is all, and only that, about profit, profit, profit and profit.

Ohh, don't forget the squeeze.

Old and venerated Chinese business practice.

I wouldn't worry about it if I was TAT,they've dropped the 1,000b visa fee and soon the place will be packed with quality Bulgarian tourists.thats how desperate they have gotten trying to lure pick pockets,beggars,thieves,scammers and pimps.clueless people running a clueless country.it really boils down to the price of the baht when I first came we got 73b to the pound and now it's about 43b.a beer was 60-70b but is now 100b.so it's nearly 3 times the price.thailand ain't a cheap destination anymore and is one of the reasons they can't sell their rice around  the world.i think the hiso's who run this country want it that way so they can off load their ill gotten gains abroad with a fantastic exchange rate.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Thailand may have banned Chinese tour guides in theory but there are hundreds working in Phuket alone. At least there were; many are currently without work due to the large decrease in the number of tour buses. 

Interesting how many articles and comments on the subject have appeared in the past couple of days; it certainly seems that the powers-that-be are concerned about tourism numbers.

I am not surprised the Chinese tourists have turned their backs on Thailand, I am at present on a three week self drive tour of the NZ South Island, and trust me, there are Chinese everywhere  here.

the roads are jammed packed with Chinese tour buses, all painted in the CTS and other logos. Each coach has its own Chinese tour guide who has travelled with his / her tour group. From what I have seen, these tourists do spend cash as they are let loose on the general public and outlets.

I live in Hua Hin and last year at this time there were huge tour buses and traffic jams in Khao Takiab, a trendy area four kilometers south of downtown, but not this year.

The difference in the reduction in traffic is dramatic.

Of course this year is different with the big event in Oct. and the no party and music rule.

And the bombings in Hua Hin.

And the savage beating of the female Farang tourist and her family in Hua Hin.

And all the press about no more places to sit or eat on the beach.

Was it last year the giant oil slick in Hua Hin covered the beaches? Time flies when you are having fun.

Edited by NCC1701A

3 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

No, it is because the Thai government confiscated a few BILLION Baht in assets from the Chinese tour operators, which went down the wrong way for obvious reasons

So now the Thai Government will give the money back ??

Too Funny.

Heard they also told Chinese Tour Operators " No Shark Fin Soup for You "

26 minutes ago, fruitman said:

If the chinese won't return they can always go for nigerians..

this gave me a idea for a new TV show:

Scam Wars.

This week it is Nigeria versus Thailand in a battle for the world title of Champion Scammers.