Personal import vehicle

DjSiN

2 hours ago, DjSiN said:

Mazda rx8. Any series. I only need a complete body and interior, even damaged is fine, I have all the suspension, modified subframe etc, and of course engine. Basically I'll just scout around for the cheapest deal possible and swap over all my gear. Surely I can find what I'm looking for there at a decent cheap price. 

That's what going to bite you in the butt.  Setting your heart on a car that's not indigenous.  It's going to cost more up front, cost more to maintain and finding spare parts and keeping it legal is going to be a full time job if you intend to thrash it at all.  First good wipeout that bends the frame and you're at square one, but with less money than last time.

When you get here, find some small town drift racing and wander around the pits.  They've been here, and done that.  There are reasons for the cars they're racing.

I haven't done it, but you may want to get on Youtube and get a sneak preview.  I's use Google Translate to find the Thai for drift racing and search using Thai and English.

Edited by impulse

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's what going to bite you in the butt.  Setting your heart on a car that's not indigenous.  It's going to cost more up front, cost more to maintain and finding spare parts and keeping it legal is going to be a full time job if you intend to thrash it at all.  First good wipeout that bends the frame and you're at square one, but with less money than last time.

When you get here, find some small town drift racing and wander around the pits.  They've been here, and done that.  There are reasons for the cars they're racing.

I haven't done it, but you may want to get on Youtube and get a sneak preview.  I's use Google Translate to find the Thai for drift racing and search using Thai and English.

Yeh the translate isa great idea for looking at what's needed. Cheers ? 

misses is shattered too as she loves her rx7, which cost the same if not more in Thailand than Rx8. 

Oh well. 

4 hours ago, madhav said:

Can get RX8 here in Thailand. I have seen them. Not cheap as per usual thai prices. Check here and other facebook groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Genuine.racing.cars/

https://www.kaidee.com/c11a182-auto-car-rx8/p-1/

http://th.priceprice.com/Mazda-RX-8-8241/

http://www.taladrod.com/w30/iSch/SchC.aspx?fno:all+mk:32+md:471+bd:0+ta:0+smd:n+ty:0+cl:0+gr:b+pv:0+y1:0+y2:2016+p1:0+p2:0

I have searched extensively what cars are available and almost everything is stupidly and sickeningly overpriced. Only exception I could find was the Evo 8 and 9. For some reason they appear reasonably priced.

Check they are genuine evo's...

26 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Check they are genuine evo's...

They are all moded up Lancer EXs. None with all wheel drive and most without a turbo unless moded aftermarket. Real EVOs are not assembled in Thailand and have a 300% import tax. I haven't seen a real Evo in Thailand but I imagine there are some around at an outrageous price.

• 1 month later...

Ok how about this,  I can't see anything in the Thai customs rules for personal import vehicle as to the minimum road worthyness or drivability of the car, however customs do take into account the condition of the vehicle when valuing the vehicle.

SO, remove engine, guards, seats, hood and boot lid and import those in my partners name in her container with the house hold goods etc., declared of course, and now we have a personal import vehicle with very little value and more importantly, affordable!

what. Am I missing? 

Yeh she's definitely a fix-her-upper lol I say to customs. Heehee. 

Also they offer discount on value based on how many years u have owned/registered  the car, so 6years is approx 60% discount, NOW we're in affordable territory.

anyone?.

Edited by DjSiN
Spell check edit

9 hours ago, DjSiN said:

what. Am I missing? 

I think you are missing the recently passed Thai law that prohibits the importation of used car parts; the government cracked down because people were importing chassis and removing the VIN number plate and using that to register complete vehicles that had been illegally imported  

10 hours ago, DjSiN said:

Ok how about this,  I can't see anything in the Thai customs rules for personal import vehicle as to the minimum road worthyness or drivability of the car, however customs do take into account the condition of the vehicle when valuing the vehicle.

SO, remove engine, guards, seats, hood and boot lid and import those in my partners name in her container with the house hold goods etc., declared of course, and now we have a personal import vehicle with very little value and more importantly, affordable!

what. Am I missing? 

Also they offer discount on value based on how many years u have owned/registered  the car, so 6years is approx 60% discount, NOW we're in affordable territory.

anyone?.

They will be fully aware of what you are trying to do and will most likely present you with what they think the vehicle will be worth when it's finished. They will calculate the tax on that perceived value. You will have no input.

As long as I have been here, I have heard most all the 'Plans' to bypass the Import Laws. None have worked yet, and I foresee no efforts in the future which will be any different. And if I have heard a lot of them - how many do you think Customs have heard, or seen attempted.

3 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

As long as I have been here, I have heard most all the 'Plans' to bypass the Import Laws. None have worked yet, and I foresee no efforts in the future which will be any different. And if I have heard a lot of them - how many do you think Customs have heard, or seen attempted.

Yeah been there,  as posted before,  I tried many years ago when it was not so tough as it is now and tried with a motorbike from UK,  right down to carrying bits in a suitcase. :laugh:

Even tried getting a book for a grey import CB400 bought here in CM Thailand the costs for doing that only was not worth it.

4 hours ago, DjSiN said:

Did any of u apply for customs valuation prior to import application?

apparently it's a thing. 

If you know the answer to the question why did you post it ?

Congratulations you are on your way to your Thai Visa Warrior badge, ask a question and after 41 responses of why you can't do something you are going to continue to argue that you can 

On 1/13/2017 at 11:48 PM, DjSiN said:

what. Am I missing? 

anyone?.

So bring in a container full of car parts and a bare bodyshell, how stupid do you think the customs people are ?

Why don't you apply for an import permit from the ministry of commerce. Without that you aint importing a vehicle and I heard they are not easy to obtain.

9 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So bring in a container full of car parts and a bare bodyshell, how stupid do you think the customs people are ?

Why don't you apply for an import permit from the ministry of commerce. Without that you aint importing a vehicle and I heard they are not easy to obtain.

From the evos I checked out this is actually similar to what they do except they take a registered car to start with (Lancer or Cedia or whatever they are called) and then install the imported evo parts onto it. (engine, gearbox, driveline, body parts, interior etc) 

On 15/01/2017 at 0:47 PM, Langsuan Man said:

If you know the answer to the question why did you post it ?

Congratulations you are on your way to your Thai Visa Warrior badge, ask a question and after 41 responses of why you can't do something you are going to continue to argue that you can 

Pretty sure I didn't argue that "I can" do anything. ?

just asked if anybody has tried the customs  prevaluation application. 

Customs call centre told me about it because I couldn't get a straight answer on how they plan on putting a value on my car so they can tax me. 

So, I'm curious has anybody tried this?

On 1/15/2017 at 8:05 PM, madhav said:

From the evos I checked out this is actually similar to what they do except they take a registered car to start with (Lancer or Cedia or whatever they are called) and then install the imported evo parts onto it. (engine, gearbox, driveline, body parts, interior etc) 

Yeah thats normal, Importing a container full of bits AND  a bare shell though...........The lads at customs aint that dumb as to the intent.

Does the floorpan of the front wheel drive Lancer/Cedia need to be cut to accommodate the drive shaft and rear differential and what ever else is needed for the AWD conversion ?

8 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah thats normal, Importing a container full of bits AND  a bare shell though...........The lads at customs aint that dumb as to the intent.

Does the floorpan of the front wheel drive Lancer/Cedia need to be cut to accommodate the drive shaft and rear differential and what ever else is needed for the AWD conversion ?

Yeah I think customs would be able to figure out where it is going if done like that.

I don't know about the process but I do know that a few people are definitely doing the conversions and they have the rear diff/AWD thing happening (I mean how could you call it an evo without it being AWD right?) 

I see most of them advertised through facebook groups. Some are absolute piles of crap but others look tastefully modified with quality (and functional) aftermarket parts that make good power.