Chaos at the border as Malaysians continue to flood into Thailand

rooster59

Chaos at the border as Malaysians continue to flood into Thailand

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOtTyuRm4fkhhbk4SIyQEi18oZurwUGJUBJ4bVDwX.jpg
Image: Thairath

Malaysian tourists have been flooding into Thailand all week.

And this is despite the very weak state of the Malaysian currency, the ringgit.

Authorities at the Sadao checkpoint in Songkhla have had to bring in extra staff to cope as 10,000 people a day have been crossing over.

They have been then heading for Krabi, Trang, Surat Thani and Phuket to continue their holidays.

On Monday officials were scurrying to open extra booths and this has continued all week with delays for all travelers using the crossing.

They are now opening 14 booths to stamp passports.

For many years 100 baht was worth about ten ringgit but recently that has dropped to a little over eight ringgit.

Despite the near 20 per cent fall in the Malaysian currency visitors continue to flood in.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-11

For many years 100 baht was worth about ten ringgit but recently that has dropped to a little over eight ringgit.

Despite the near 20 per cent fall in the Malaysian currency visitors continue to flood in.

Is it just my poor understanding of currency exchange, but doesn't that mean the THB has deceased in value against the Ringgit? It looks like the Malaysians will now get 125THB for their 10 Ringgit. Maybe this could explain the sudden interest in Malaysians to travel to the southern provinces.

2 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Is it just my poor understanding of currency exchange, but doesn't that mean the THB has deceased in value against the Ringgit? It looks like the Malaysians will now get 125THB for their 10 Ringgit. Maybe this could explain the sudden interest in Malaysians to travel to the southern provinces.

"Is it just my poor understanding of currency exchange, but doesn't that mean the THB has deceased in value against the Ringgit?

I know that's a typo, but I think the Thai baht is still alive and kicking   :thumbsup:

Wonder if TAT or Thai immigration actually have a calendar that shows Malaysian holidays.  Monday is a holiday in Malaysia.  Also many may be using up what is left of their company holiday time which can be up to 18 days a year.  Both organizations may wish to note this when planning marketing or staffing. 

21 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

What a stupid article . WHY are there so many Malaysians coming ? Same climate , maybe even better beaches . They have cool mountains, so what is it ? Cheap hookers ? But I see children in the line up ...

No Muslim religious police for one thing.  Things are heating up in Malaysia between fundamentalist Muslims and the secular government.  The Muslims have been demanding that Sharia Law be applied nationwide, not just in certain provinces. There were just major demonstrations in KL that got nasty.

I would say it's very easy to understand why Malaysians would prefer to holiday in Thailand. 

32 minutes ago, dddave said:

No Muslim religious police for one thing.  Things are heating up in Malaysia between fundamentalist Muslims and the secular government.  The Muslims have been demanding that Sharia Law be applied nationwide, not just in certain provinces. There were just major demonstrations in KL that got nasty.

I would say it's very easy to understand why Malaysians would prefer to holiday in Thailand. 

Not sure about that.  Thailand is close by with lots of entertainment, cheaper alcohol and north of the border Thailand has a vibrant, Chinese speaking community.  Many of the visitors are Malay Chinese.  Malay Chinese run the Malaysian Economy.  Pretty sure Sharia law would bring the country to a halt. 

For some reason, Singaporeans like Hat Yai as well.  Does TAT have an office there ?  You wonder if Thais really know what is going on in their own country.   Their lack of curiosity costs them.

Wonder if TAT or Thai immigration actually have a calendar that shows Malaysian holidays.  Monday is a holiday in Malaysia.  Also many may be using up what is left of their company holiday time which can be up to 18 days a year.  Both organizations may wish to note this when planning marketing or staffing. 

Planning, planning...
:lol::lol::lol:

Hmm, given that some 40% of the population of Malaysia are not Muslims, and some 49% are not ethnic Malays (indexmundi figures for 2016), then if the bearded merchants of peace get their way and Sharia is introduced nationally; the Thais will need a bit more than a few more passport stamping booths!

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

What a stupid article . WHY are there so many Malaysians coming ? Same climate , maybe even better beaches . They have cool mountains, so what is it ? Cheap hookers ? But I see children in the line up ...

How do you know the children don't want what the adults are looking for to? =)

22 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Correct. We need a new proof reader as well as a writer that can do math.

7 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

It is an error in the article. For many years it cost 10 Ringgit to buy 100 baht, now it costs over 12 which means the Ringgit has devalued!

Common sense, now is year end school holidays for Singapore and Malaysia.  Most parents would bring their children oversea for holiday. As the Malaysia economy is not good now, they choose a nearer and cheaper country for holiday.  The RM not only fare poor to BAHT only,it's over RM3 to SGD 1 now.

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

No, no, no! You must not think like that. That is western style logical thinking. Not readily welcome in Thailand. Tut tut tut........

39 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Not the brightest spark in the fusebox but these graphs show how the Ringgit has lost value quite alot over the past year and especially the past month as it has touched a new low.

My milk monitor skills helped alot.

unnamed.png

images.png

Sparks in the fusebox eh? Has my brother in law been doing some wiring for you?

11 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Yeah! This is the way I see it to.

If 100 Baht bought you 10 Ringgit before, and now only buys you 8, then either the Ringgit increased against the Thai Baht, or the Thai Baht decrease over the Ringgit. Same! Same! But different!

One Ringgit now buys 1.25 Baht where before it bought 1 Baht. So the Ringgit increased over the Thai Baht by 25%.  

17 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

If 100 Baht bought you 10 Ringgit before, and now only buys you 8, then either the Ringgit increased against the Thai Baht, or the Thai Baht decrease over the Ringgit. Same! Same! But different!

One Ringgit now buys 1.25 Baht where before it bought 1 Baht. So the Ringgit increased over the Thai Baht by 25%.  

I thought "Numpties" weren't allowed to post on here.... Must be wrong?

12 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

WHO WRITE THESE BRIEF? Somchai Carabao?

One big part of the problem is the immigration officers spending 5 minutes flicking back and forth between passport pages for every single traveller and looking arrogant and pissed of on top of this. The ones who are not manning the booths walk around and drink coffee and play with their phones. 

3 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

how do you guys get along with currency exchange in this world?  right now 1 Riggit buys 8 baht or 0.125 baht is equal to 1 riggit

(for the slower guys 1 baht / 8 riggit = 0.125 baht)

Is it really that hard to understand currency conversion?

10 baht at the beginning of 2016 would get you 1 Malaysian ringgit.

Presently it takes only 8.05 baht to buy 1 Malaysian ringgit. This is a devaluation of the ringgit.

For those still confused if a Malaysian was to purchase a drink for 10 baht 1 year ago he would now have to  pay 1.2 Malaysian ringgit for that same 10 baht drink.

Despite this the Malaysians are still happy to come to Thailand for whatever reason.

57 minutes ago, strbl said:

Is it really that hard to understand currency conversion?

10 baht at the beginning of 2016 would get you 1 Malaysian ringgit.

Presently it takes only 8.05 baht to buy 1 Malaysian ringgit. This is a devaluation of the ringgit.

For those still confused if a Malaysian was to purchase a drink for 10 baht 1 year ago he would now have to  pay 1.2 Malaysian ringgit for that same 10 baht drink.

Despite this the Malaysians are still happy to come to Thailand for whatever reason.

I may be the summit of human thought, but I am the first to admit my numeracy is complete horse manure. However anyone not getting it after this post... Well I don't know what to say.

15 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"Is it just my poor understanding of currency exchange, but doesn't that mean the THB has deceased in value against the Ringgit?

I know that's a typo, but I think the Thai baht is still alive and kicking   :thumbsup:

Kicking is right... it's been KICKING the AUSSIE Dollar for more than a year.

Archived