Teachers warned cutting student's hair could be assault, says online lawyer

webfact

Teachers warned cutting student's hair could be assault, says online lawyer

p1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A Thai online lawyer has warned teachers that cutting a student's hair is tantamount to assault.

The comments were made after a case where a teacher threatened to shave part of a student's head for not cutting her hair according to the school rules, reports Daily News.

The student concerned had cut her hair so that it was not covering her ears and this was not allowed by the school.

But well known online lawyer Ronnarong Kaewphet said that teachers who tamper with a student's hair could be breaking the criminal code.

They could lose their job or be charged with a criminal offence.

Corporal punishment that was previously allowed by law in Thai schools was officially ended some years ago.

But Ronnarong said: "Hair is considered part of a student's body. It is protected as part of the body under the constitution".

Ronnarong's comments were featured on his "Tanai Khu Jai" page online in response to queries from parents and members of the public.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-13

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree , teachers are there to teach and have no right to touch their students . Cutting a students hair is physical abuse and possibly mental abuse as well . Why should a school dictate how their hair should be cut when  it has absolutely no affect on learning what so ever and should be up to the individual .

<deleted>!!!!  I want sexual assault charges pressed, and maybe attempted murder!!!!  Steel cutting blades near my child's neck!!!!

On a serious note, I would be living at the school until that teacher is fired and try to sue the school.  

I've seen this many times. Why are schools so strict about hair length - shorter hair means a student is more intelligent? No way.
If schools were more concerned about their teaching and not waste so much time on checking the length of students' hair, maybe the general level of education would increase.
Yes, schools need to have rules, but this hair thing is ridiculous. As long as the student's hair is respectably tidy - maybe tied back in the case of females - there should be no need for any other rule or any abuse by the cutting of hair by teachers.

1 hour ago, apex2000 said:

Why are schools so strict about hair length - shorter hair means a student is more intelligent? No way.

Pure militaristic mindset that infects the school system like a virus.  There is a sign at the front gate of a school I used to work at that says "All students must follow [name of school]'s rulers at all times."  Yes, rulers.  I'm not even sure if that's a typo.

I've had students pulled out of class in the middle of a lesson because some behavioral officer who was patrolling the halls got bored and decided to do a surprise hair length audit.

I'd say so, cutting hair without the parents' permission is an assault but oh so common here and depending on the location and the school the teachers get away with it because they're teachers and that puts them above ordinary people.

It amazes me that sexual abuse, rape, promotion of lgbt in children, bullying, cheating,  drugs and teenage pregnancy are rampant in thai schools, with barely a murmur actually making it to the courts. 

But oh my god expect children to have school appropriate hair and they want to sack the teachers and prosecute. This is great coming from people that have never had to deal with 50 teenagers in a class. 

Might surprise people to know that there are rules about hair in our countries too. And you get sent home until you fix it. 

21 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Might surprise people to know that there are rules about hair in our countries too. And you get sent home until you fix it. 

Key words:  you fix it.  Not the teacher.  They don't touch you.

We had dress codes, too.  But the teachers couldn't strip us down to put on approved clothing.  They sent you home and you fixed it.

Edited by impulse

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Key words:  you fix it.  Not the teacher.  They don't touch you.

We had dress codes, too.  But the teachers couldn't strip us down to put on approved clothing.  They sent you home and you fixed it.

The teacher didn't touch her. He/she said he/she would shave the hair if the child could not follow the rules. Many a western teacher or even a boss often say get a haircut or I'll shave it off, or cut it or I'll cut for you. 

Nothing hair raising about that in my opinion.

A lot of the kids line up to let the teacher cut their hair because it's free. The teachers are quite good at it. A cut above the rest I might say. :clap2:

21 minutes ago, Lannig said:

"Promotion of LGBT in children ... is rampant in Thai schools"? care to elaborate? I'm lost here.

I would but it would send the chat completely off topic. 

Please consider the context of my entire post. My point is there are more serious things to worry about than hair. 

3 hours ago, apex2000 said:

I've seen this many times. Why are schools so strict about hair length - shorter hair means a student is more intelligent? No way.
If schools were more concerned about their teaching and not waste so much time on checking the length of students' hair, maybe the general level of education would increase.
Yes, schools need to have rules, but this hair thing is ridiculous. As long as the student's hair is respectably tidy - maybe tied back in the case of females - there should be no need for any other rule or any abuse by the cutting of hair by teachers.

This sounds unsettling to most, but it's no small coincidence that the hair restrictions end (M4) at the same time sexual consent begins (15). Anyway, if it's a school policy, then they should simply send the girls home and tell their parents they can't come back until they obey the rules.

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

It amazes me that sexual abuse, rape, promotion of lgbt in children, bullying, cheating,  drugs and teenage pregnancy are rampant in thai schools, with barely a murmur actually making it to the courts. 

But oh my god expect children to have school appropriate hair and they want to sack the teachers and prosecute. This is great coming from people that have never had to deal with 50 teenagers in a class. 

What country and what rules on hair ,we not have in uk

3 hours ago, impulse said:

They didn't cover that in teacher school?  

Seems pretty basic.   Right after "don't sleep with the students".

Many Thai  teachers never actually attended University they simply bought the degree so they may have missed the class discussing teacher edict and laws. 

4 hours ago, apex2000 said:

Why are schools so strict about hair length - shorter hair means a student is more intelligent?

It's because the people who police it and cut it are literal fascists. The same thing goes on when city managers so frequently decide to chop down entire rows of trees that are getting too bushy. They have a compulsive need to demonstrate their total control over nature as well as other people. The idea of something growing naturally and out of their control is what gives them nightmares. Kind of a good metaphor for the way the education system works as a whole. You grow in the way we say, or you get cut down.

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

So, assuming you have had to deal with 50 teenagers in a class, what effect did their hair have on your control?

And what is this "promotion of lgbt in children" that you speak of?  I think you are mistaking the lack of persecution of sexuality for a promotion, quite bizarre indeed.

The teacher didn't touch her. He/she said he/she would shave the hair if the child could not follow the rules. Many a western teacher or even a boss often say get a haircut or I'll shave it off, or cut it or I'll cut for you. 

A lot of the kids line up to let the teacher cut their hair because it's free. The teachers are quite good at it. A cut above the rest I might say. :clap2:

Teachers regularly shave into their hair randomly to humiliate the child, nothing good about that.

Yeah, right...

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

And what does a class of 50 students have to do with hair length,  and as for "our" country - who cares about "our" country, this is Thailand .

I think if a group of parents were to jump a teacher who had done this to a child and cut their hair that would be assault... but there again it would be justice :whistling:

Recall an ex telling me how a teacher had hacked her daughters hair off because it was to long, makes ones blood boil.

3 hours ago, whatproblem said:

What country and what rules on hair ,we not have in uk

Girls have to have their hair tyed back . This helps to prevent nits  (which by the way is epidemic in thai schools ) boys are not allowed long hair and most schools generally have a reasonable length guideline. Boys and girls are not allowed colored hair, punk rock hair, rings and studs in their noses. Studded wrist bands. I don't believe you when you say there are no hair rules in England. They represent the name of the school. Teaching your kid to follow school rules will serve them well in society later. 

5 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Girls have to have their hair tyed back . This helps to prevent nits  (which by the way is epidemic in thai schools ) boys are not allowed long hair and most schools generally have a reasonable length guideline. Boys and girls are not allowed colored hair, punk rock hair, rings and studs in their noses. Studded wrist bands. I don't believe you when you say there are no hair rules in England. They represent the name of the school. Teaching your kid to follow school rules will serve them well in society later. 

Prevents nits? Really?

I honestly did not know that.

PS nits are present in schools everywhere

Edited by Bluespunk