Thai woman fights back and kills man who attempted to rape her

webfact

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I somehow knew the word  "scum - - - "  would crop up when I read this story. 

This is a word I rarely ever heard used before coming Thailand (I come from Western Europe). It appears to me it is used by peoples from one particular nation on a regular basis.

At home, if a person used this word, most people within earshot would physically cringe with disgust. When I see it written down it appears even worse. ......I can assure readers that I am no "shrinking violet"...and have been pulled up on more than one occasion myself for using the "F" word. But the word I'm referring to, for me, is in a completely different category. It''s on a par with calling a lady by the "C" word.

For me, it says more about the person using it ....than it does about the person it is aimed at.

It would appear that you still havent truly grasped it.

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

Now if she was from Australia or white, posters would be saying. ...

How stupid of her to be in the field working by herself. 

Why does she let herself be pretty. 

She probably flirted with him. 

What was she wearing? 

She shouldn't be in the field in the early hours of the morning and so on. 

The way some people talk about a white female being raped and a dark skinned person being raped is really shocking. 

Always blame the woman Common people grow up

Its sounds clearly self defense  I know farmers and working in the field alone is common as 99.99 % of the time they are safe

I hope she is not charged with anything She has a right to defend herself

52 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Unfortunately in Thailand justice is not available by the police.  Vigilante law makes for a precarious society.  But I wonder, in America, had this happened, what the outcome would be legally.  It does help me be convinced that the man had been talking about doing this for some time.  This is a tough one, like the other story about the Australian that was raped by a motorcycle taxi driver allegedly.  In that case too, the alleged rapist had a history of rapy behavior.  Jesus, guys, this is Thailand where even *I* can find a girflriend, is it that hard?  

If this had happened in America she would not be charged 

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

This is a word I rarely ever heard used before coming Thailand (I come from Western Europe). It appears to me it is used by peoples from one particular nation on a regular basis.

At home, if a person used this word, most people within earshot would physically cringe with disgust. When I see it written down it appears even worse. ......I can assure readers that I am no "shrinking violet"...and have been pulled up on more than one occasion myself for using the "F" word. But the word I'm referring to, for me, is in a completely different category. It''s on a par with calling a lady by the "C" word.

For me, it says more about the person using it ....than it does about the person it is aimed at.

First, your post is off topic

secondly, there is nothing wrong with the word scum

What is YOUR problem ?

3 hours ago, jaltsc said:

As though being attractive had anything to do with the rapist's motive. Rapists will use any excuse to violate their victims. Whether it's the type of shoes worn, color of their hair, height, etc. 

According to the article, "He had wanted to have sex with Sangworn for some time but she had always rejected his advances because he already had a family of his own."  Her attractiveness was at least part of his motive.

The press should stop offering excuses as to why someone is raped and just stick to the point that a person was violated without her/his consent.

I don't see any excuses being offered in this article.  It seems like they were simply establishing motive.

It is a crime with no rationale or justification. Period.

Analysis of the criminal's motive will help future victims.  Shutting down discussion will only generate more vulnerable targets for these criminals.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Cops will be interviewing the lady and other witnesses again before deciding how to deal with the matter.

Here is where  things could get dicey for the lady. I do congratulate her on her self defense. The dumb shmuck who attacked her brought a stick to a knife fight dummy. She countered the male superiority complex fueled by alcohol. Bravo.

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

A very loud and very clear message in his ear might  just do the trick plus a word with the local Bill along with appropriate lunch -  no need to wait for any outcome.

Thanks A.    But not sure meaning of   "the local Bill"  and "appropriate lunch".   

Is  this generalised or something I don't know about in Bkk?

Not Aussie slang I don't think.

reckon its about someone appropriate and taking a trip maybe?? 

36 minutes ago, Jing Joe said:

Thanks M..  

Also inspiration for what she could say;-   . "you got pepper this time, laser next, knife next and last".

You getting some really bad advice here.  Number one, Thai people are very nonconfrontational by nature. She probably doesn't have it in her. Number two, threaten someone and they may well make plans to do you harm.  Best advice? The same she's been doing: steer clear of him.  If he ever so much as touches her, he has escalated things and then is the time to call in the enforcer relatives. 

'Scum,'The poster who has rarely heard the word should know that it is a common word in the country where i come from.Scum: A dscription of the residue of soap,dirt and bodily oils found at high level in a ring around the tub,when the bath water is drained.The density of the said is reliant  upon the original amount of filth washed from the body or item of the article cleansed.This residue can also be found in other vessels where a filthy object has been cleaned.

Scum: The disription which is used to describe the decencey("they acted like scum,they are nothing but scum") of people or persons having committed a vile criminal act against one or more other people or animals or the public at large.

Scum: a great movie starring a young Ray Winstone,and other young actors,centered around a boy's Borstal or YP offenders prison.ray Winstone plays the part of 'Carlin' the main protagonist in the story.Also seen are other actors,when younger,who have now become somewhat prominent in the film/TV industry.

My apologies to any body, living, who,has the misfortune to have the surname 'Scumm' either as a syllable,or in its entirety.

Of course you do realise that this is not a serious post.

3 hours ago, Jing Joe said:

I've been  very afraid for my Uni student niece who is being harassed by a motorbike taxi guy in Bkk.

Like the farmer lady in this article she is also described as    " an attractive single woman " .  Very much so,  and she avoids him..

Thinking about suggesting she carry a knife.

Wait and see the outcome of this case.

You know those shishkabob skewers that are EVERYWHERE in Thailand? Got a few lady friends ( Thai and Falang ) who have taped three ( or more ) of these together. They made sure the pointed ends stick out unevenly. They slip those underneath their wristbands, watch bands, etc. or they wear them in their upper shirt pockets. A couple of the ladies have even glued a little dangly thing to the end of the skewers, and wear them in their hair as a decoration...looks okay too, and very inconspicuous. They skewers are legal to carry, unlike a knife, and as the younger crowd would say, makes an awesome damn weapon. Not likely to kill a person, but can do some serious damage, especially if connected with a face..eyes, nose etc. AND the "weapons" can be in the hand in an instant, whereas a knife would most likely have to be carried in a purse or a pocket. I have not heard of any of the ladies having to use the skewers here in Chiang Mai, but it makes the ladies FEEL safer. However, I have seen them in action a few times over in Udon. A fella tends to forget about sex or trying to snatch a purse as he's trying to stem the flow of blood while picking a piece of wood out of the side of his nose.

3 hours ago, Jing Joe said:

Tazers being banned in Oz and never thought of that for Bkk.

A possibility and Thanks.

To forever have the stabbing death of a would be rapist on her conscience would be a bit much.

Pepper spray could be ore readily available. A knife can quickly be turned on oneself with tragic results, and an unknown legal outcome if your niece did manage to kill or injure someone. 

5 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

'Scum,'The poster who has rarely heard the word should know that it is a common word in the country where i come from.Scum: A dscription of the residue of soap,dirt and bodily oils found at high level in a ring around the tub,when the bath water is drained.The density of the said is reliant  upon the original amount of filth washed from the body or item of the article cleansed.This residue can also be found in other vessels where a filthy object has been cleaned.

Scum: The disription which is used to describe the decencey("they acted like scum,they are nothing but scum") of people or persons having committed a vile criminal act against one or more other people or animals or the public at large.

Scum: a great movie starring a young Ray Winstone,and other young actors,centered around a boy's Borstal or YP offenders prison.ray Winstone plays the part of 'Carlin' the main protagonist in the story.Also seen are other actors,when younger,who have now become somewhat prominent in the film/TV industry.

My apologies to any body, living, who,has the misfortune to have the surname 'Scumm' either as a syllable,or in its entirety.

Of course you do realise that this is not a serious post.

Dave, mate.  Could you please be more sensitive to the very offended serious poster.

You have said that "S" word so many times above they will be shocked to the core.

We can all learn something every day and out of curiosity it would be interesting to know what country it is that takes offence.       Never thought I'd learn this on Thai Visa.

Of course you do realise that this ALSO is not a serious post.   :-)

But seriously I feel for the attacked woman who will live with some degree of trauma for the rest of her life and now there's a family without a probably-good father who's wrong "brain" did some fatally errant thinking.

9 minutes ago, UPDEHSOI said:

You know those shishkabob skewers that are EVERYWHERE in Thailand? Got a few lady friends ( Thai and Falang ) who have taped three ( or more ) of these together. They made sure the pointed ends stick out unevenly. They slip those underneath their wristbands, watch bands, etc. or they wear them in their upper shirt pockets. A couple of the ladies have even glued a little dangly thing to the end of the skewers, and wear them in their hair as a decoration...looks okay too, and very inconspicuous. They skewers are legal to carry, unlike a knife, and as the younger crowd would say, makes an awesome damn weapon. Not likely to kill a person, but can do some serious damage, especially if connected with a face..eyes, nose etc. AND the "weapons" can be in the hand in an instant, whereas a knife would most likely have to be carried in a purse or a pocket. I have not heard of any of the ladies having to use the skewers here in Chiang Mai, but it makes the ladies FEEL safer. However, I have seen them in action a few times over in Udon. A fella tends to forget about sex or trying to snatch a purse as he's trying to stem the flow of blood while picking a piece of wood out of the side of his nose.

Thanks "U" . I read this advice 50 years ago about a single metal skewer/hat pin and they rationalised that "his weapon of choice"  could do severe internal damage needing surgery and that was before the proliferation of so many STDs now days.     So "her weapon of choice" back then was justified.    The oversized "hat pin"  was suitably hidden in the hats of yesteryear.    I reckon more damage than you suggest above could happen.

Had some other suggestions;-   Avoidance, Pepper spray, taser and last resort a knife.    And the local bill??  and "lunch"?? 

i would gladly pay for a trustworthy taxi if one could be found. Making ongoing enquiries.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Merely semantics and differing cultural conventions! If u r British then I fail to see how scumbag can offend more than the 'C' word which I think socially is considered the worst insult in the UK; on a par with 'buffalo' in Thailand. In the native english speaking falang world 'scumbag' is not even considered a swear word. If it was it would be censored as such here on thaivisa.com. The meaning of  'scum' is the dirt and soap mix residue that appears on the surface of the bath water while taking a bath. 'Bag' is slang for a person's whole body. A northern English, not really meant to offend, colloquialism, is to call someone a 'bag of <deleted>'  (sh***). The Tibetan Buddhist poet Milarepa famously referred to humans as merely 'bags of shit and blood'. I never understood why the 'C' word was considered so bad when it is certainly my favorite part of the female anatomy and revered as such and earnestly sought after by  most men....lol. If u r French some might make a joke of why u r so averse to the term for what appears on dirty bath water, but I would never stoop so low ........:sleep:

Is it 'high-season' for sexual attacks just now..? Or are we seeing an increase in these rapes getting reported.

When I hear of a Thai man getting drunk in a rural village and doing this to a woman..it does not suprise me..the

whole scene here in Thailand is just the same as the cocks & hens that roam each household..the cock fancies it..chases the poor hen & pins her down, and..!  Thai males see this happening daily.. not long before it's instilled in their minds.

4 hours ago, Jing Joe said:

I've been  very afraid for my Uni student niece who is being harassed by a motorbike taxi guy in Bkk.

Like the farmer lady in this article she is also described as    " an attractive single woman " .  Very much so,  and she avoids him..

I think a knife would be a mistake as it could too easily be turned on her. Someone mentioned a tazer.  I would suggest pepper spray. My Thai lady says both are available in a local market.

If you give someone a deadly weapon, make sure they really know how to use it. If an assailant manages to get the knife/gun/taser away from your niece, this will very likely worsen the outcome for her.

A good first step would be to help her find a first rate self-defense course. There are very good techniques which, with enough practice, allow even a physically weaker victim to immobilize or slow down an attacker long enough to get to safety.

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

we dont know she was a victim of attempted rape its only what she told police and what was reported by the papers. very easy for her to say he tried to rape her after she killed him. it could of just been an argument that got out of control and she now wants and need to justify her actions.

It's not what she told police, the police were told this by others before they had interviewed her as she had already been taken to hospital...

" Police were told that Sawat had been drinking beer with friends on Wednesday evening. He had wanted to have sex with Sangworn for some time but she had always rejected his advances because he already had a family of his own. "

Tazers being banned in Oz and never thought of that for Bkk.

A possibility and Thanks.

To forever have the stabbing death of a would be rapist on her conscience would be a bit much.

Illegal here also.

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

A very interesting contribution, thank you. As I am not a native English speaker, this is the kind of subtle thing I didn't know about.

Now, if you'll allow me to point out, a large group of posters on this Forum are not exactly worthy of the name 'gentleman', and sadly, especially those who come from the country where the word was coined ... This is one perverse effect of the internet : when hiding behind a computer screen, a lot of people quickly show who they really are on the inside. What that reveals is a lot of anger, hate, stereotyped and judgmental thinking, self-centered vision, intolerance ... not a very palatable sight altogether.

On the subject of this thread, notice how people assume right away that the article = the truth, even though they must know how imperfect (and that's an understatement) the media often are. TVF : an e-lynching mob always ready to pounce ...

In a remarkable movie called Rashômon (early 50s) the Japanese director Akira Kurosawa stages a murder and then proceeds to explore the different accounts given by the people involved. Needless to say they are all different, and often totally contradictory. Then the dead guy is 'interviewed' by some kind of spritualist. Again, and entirely different story. Those who witness the interview are in awe and take it to be the truth. A wise guy then tells them that no, it's just another version and that 'even dead people can lie', which I think is one of the greatest cinema line ever.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

If this is a true story, which I doubt, he'll never try to rape another women ever again...

and I hope that this brave woman will  be exonerated....

Do you have some reason you would think the story is not true? I sure didn't read anything in that article that indicated otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

A very interesting contribution, thank you. As I am not a native English speaker, this is the kind of subtle thing I didn't know about.

Now, if you'll allow me to point out, a large group of posters on this Forum are not exactly worthy of the name 'gentleman', and sadly, especially those who come from the country where the word was coined ... This is one perverse effect of the internet : when hiding behind a computer screen, a lot of people quickly show who they really are on the inside. What that reveals is a lot of anger, hate, stereotyped and judgmental thinking, self-centered vision, intolerance ... not a very palatable sight altogether.

On the subject of this thread, notice how people assume right away that the article = the truth, even though they must know how imperfect (and that's an understatement) the media often are. TVF : an e-lynching mob always ready to pounce ...

In a remarkable movie called Rashômon (early 50s) the Japanese director Akira Kurosawa stages a murder and then proceeds to explore the different accounts given by the people involved. Needless to say they are all different, and often totally contradictory. Then the dead guy is 'interviewed' by some kind of spritualist. Again, and entirely different story. Those who witness the interview are in awe and take it to be the truth. A wise guy then tells them that no, it's just another version and that 'even dead people can lie', which I think is one of the greatest cinema line ever.

Yes, we know about Rashoman. It's required viewing in any film class. Oh, excuse me: "cinema" class.  Sometimes, though, the truth is out there--or at least the honest search for truth, such as in the legitimate press, e.g., The Washington Post, which brought down Richard Nixon. And what country "coined" the word scum? It was not coined. It's already been defined for you several times by native speakers. It means a kind of unclean residue, and "pond scum," for example, is an inoffensive and common term to describe the top residue that floats on a pond of water. Look and ye shall find many repeated definitions by native speakers of this word, so I think we've had sufficient lectures from non-native speakers, thank you. I lived in Europe in a much earlier life, but I never lecture the people in whose country I lived about their language. Tip of the day. A thought--perhaps the OP got the word confused with another one without the "s" at the beginning.

Archived