Wife sentenced to death for murder of husband given bail

webfact

1 hour ago, 1duckyboy said:

I thought bail was for those presumed innocent until proven guilty by a court of law. Now she can go about her business, including preparations for her fleeing, for 10 years and as the appeals process draws to a close, leave the country. The Thai legal system is the finest in SE Asia money can buy. The U.S. is first worldwide. 

"The U.S. is first worldwide."

Hehe, now that must be a joke, yes?  First in what?

18 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

No Flight risk, how funny! Think about it - you are sentenced to death and you are let out on 30k (US) bail.  Bail it will be, I would do whatever I could to bail out of this country and head somewhere, anywhere.  It is no wonder this place isn't taken seriously. They hypocrisy is gobsmacking!!!

Hypocrisy?  What and whose hypocrisy?

10 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Thats "how" perhaps... but how bizarre.

i know this is Thailand, but just for a second, imagine every convict, who has an appeal pending, in which ever your home country is, being out on bail.

totally beyond the realm of understanding.... ok.... maybe.... once I can wrap my head around it, perhaps I will finally understand thainess

Every convict in Thailand appealing a conviction is not out on bail, though.

11 hours ago, jadee said:

Beyond crazy that someone given the death sentence should be granted bail. This must be unprecedented in legal history. 

Olympic athlete, Oscar Pistorius, was granted bail after being convicted in the murder of his wife (there's no death penalty in S Africa). There are other less famous examples in other western countries. [Earlier this year, a Toronto police officer was released on bail after his conviction for the 'attempted murder' of a man who died at his hand].

Popularity and gender (i.e., being a woman) can distort justice anywhere.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

How much you figure she'd have to pay for a Thai Passport from someone that looks similar enough to fool the Thai immigration guys? 

Probably a massive amount but who'd be daft enough to give their passport to a convicted murderer so she could abscond?  Don't you think that accomplice would face some serious retribution from the courts?

5 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Wait....she will only spend two nights in jail? How could the appeal process or consideration of bail motions proceed so quickly? As I understand it, she was only convicted on Monday. Or did I read that wrong?

Requesting and being given bail isn't a time consuming process particularly if you consider that the likely requirements would be prepared in advance if there was any likelihood of conviction.

Just now, gdgbb said:

Probably a massive amount but who'd be daft enough to give their passport to a convicted murderer so she could abscond?  Don't you think that accomplice would face some serious retribution from the courts?

Go to a similar looking farmer, offer her a car for her passport and ask her not to report it stolen for a few days- if at all.

It's not as if the farm girl would miss the passport, or the fugitive would miss the car...  Win-win.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

She will be released while the appeal process in her case takes its course.

Rather an unprecedented move. Rich connected family or just a great smile. No mention of her passport being turned in. Funny system. With the death penalty starring here in the face I doubt that she will stay a sitting duck for long. Tone down the good looks a bit and your good to run. 

Edited by elgordo38

Stop bellyaching We all know the system here in Thailand is for the rich

Not real justice

No one is equal under the law here

This is not a true democracy

So sad If it was a frange OOOOOPPPS  like the Myanmar guys  just brutal  justice They have no money  

10 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Definitely.... a 500 baht fine... that'll learn em.

lets not forget that, supposedly, two of the passengers on flight MH 270 (?) had false passports obtained via Thailand.

to suggest this woman could not get out of the country is naive.... to think that she doesn't have funds available outside the country, is also naive.... she has had a lot of preparation time to formulate an exit plan

5 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Stop bellyaching We all know the system here in Thailand is for the rich

Not real justice

But who's the rich and famous one in this case, the dead guy or the defendant?   

Edited by impulse

Cut hair, leave off the make-up, put on a silly hat and sunglasses and it won't be too difficult to do the off.   

I'd like to know how many people on bail have absconded from Thailand in the last ten years, it must run into high hundreds or even thousands !

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

Go to a similar looking farmer, offer her a car for her passport and ask her not to report it stolen for a few days- if at all.

It's not as if the farm girl would miss the passport, or the fugitive would miss the car...  Win-win.

Yes, very practicable.  How does she find a similar looking farmer, trawl around every farm in the country interviewing the workers?   It's not very likely that a "farm girl" would have a passport and it certainly would not be a win for the farm girl when she's arrested, which she would be.

8 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I'd like to know how many people on bail have absconded from Thailand in the last ten years, it must run into high hundreds or even thousands !

if you had the option as a government official (1) spend lots of money keeping them locked up, or (2) look the other way as they left the country never likely to return, at no cost to public money - which one would you choose?

1 hour ago, drgoon said:

To bored to read all the comments lol...

If she was the victim of violent spousal abuse then surely the Court takes this into consideration.

Hence the decision they have made in releasing her, albeit on bail.

I think it is a good decision.

Those of you, who probably in jest, suggest she may flee the country...  I would be surprised if she does.  What resources does she have outside the country? 

I have taken time to read some of the news articles on this case.  We don't know the facts. Any comment is purely speculation.

If she was a victim, it should have been taken into account when sentencing, not at a bail hearing.... she could have been given a suspended sentence, due to extenuating circumstances, like fear for her own life... but.... she has been sentenced to death

sentenced to death, and released on bail.... you think that a good decision.

Question... if the convicted murderer of your son, whilst awaiting execution, was released on bail, what would you think of that decision

those thinking she is unable to flee, are the ones joking... she has had amble opportunity, in a cash society, to move funds abroad... assumptive perhaps... as is assuming she has not... but this is a supposed intelligent women... so... do the math

as to speculation... why... convicted and sentenced to death, or is this incorrect?

7 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Yes, very practicable.  How does she find a similar looking farmer, trawl around every farm in the country interviewing the workers?   It's not very likely that a "farm girl" would have a passport and it certainly would not be a win for the farm girl when she's arrested, which she would be.

You may be amazed at how resourceful people can be if their very life depends on it.  Especially if they have months or years to work their plan while the wheels of justice grind away.

Hell, I've seen crazy convoluted schemes here in Thailand for a few hundred $$$.

Edited by impulse

17 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Rather an unprecedented move. Rich connected family or just a great smile. No mention of her passport being turned in. Funny system. With the death penalty starring here in the face I doubt that she will stay a sitting duck for long. Tone down the good looks a bit and your good to run. 

Not unprecedented at all and one of the bail conditions was a ban on leaving the country which presumably means the surrender of her passport if she has one. 

1 minute ago, gdgbb said:

Not unprecedented at all and one of the bail conditions was a ban on leaving the country which presumably means the surrender of her passport if she has one. 

Great statement the word presumably well this is Thailand take nothing for granted. 5,000 bahts will get you a new passport in Bangkok well maybe 10,000. When your life hangs in the balance what is money.