CERN scientists’ breakthrough experiment helps unravel mysteries of antimatter

webfact

CERN scientists’ breakthrough experiment helps unravel mysteries of antimatter

606x341_353004.jpg

Scientists at CERN have made another breakthrough – announcing that they are now able to measure antimatter on the optical spectrum.

By shining a laser into trapped anti-atoms, the researchers could measure the energy levels of antihydrogen for the first time, a finding which could open up the mysteries of antimatter.

“This is a dream come true. This is what I set out to do more than 20 years ago, to actually look at this transition in an anti-hydrogen. There is a lot more work to do, but I can say that this is the biggest step in my career, in the history of this type of experiment and it opens up a whole new branch of physics if you will,” explained Jeffrey Hangst, ALPHA experiment spokesperson at CERN.

It is just one small step towards understanding one of the great mysteries of the universe – why does anything exist? If the Big Bang created antimatter and matter in equal quantities, they should, in theory, have cancelled each other out.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-22

The incredible thing about anti matter is we don't know what it is but we could use it as fuel on future space missions if we ever find good sources of it that we can mine efficiently.

Actually, one good source would be the Saturn rings which are bombarded by cosmic rays and produce several hundred micrograms every year but we would need some really sophisticated magnetic traps to do this. We're on our way though

Space industry is the future boys, prepare for asteroid mining/satellite wars

4 hours ago, bartender100 said:

"why does anything exist?" because we do, but only for 80+ odd years at the most, after that who cares? 

Preciously at our age does anti-matter really matter. Somedays I feel like my body is made of anti-matter it just does not want to cooperate. Oh well when I was young we knew little about anti-matter all that mattered was having fun and playing cowboys and Indians with the young girls. I learned about the opposite sex at an early age. Practice came much later. 

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

The CERN Super Collider is a 1:1 model of the Pattaya baht bus route around Second Road and Beach Road.

That's close , but one is where cash collides with lust and sometimes ends with something more akin to a nuclear reaction.

16 hours ago, Usernames said:

Better find some dilithium crystals, fast!

Learn something new everyday...

“Dilithium Crystals” in a new fusion impulse engine that could cut the travel time to Mars down to as little as six weeks, not the six months it takes now.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/newest-fusion-engine-is-powered-on-star-trek-like-dilithium-crystals-2012-10?r=US&IR=T

12 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Whatever they are doing at CERN, humanity doesn't need it. Being human is the game. The day we understand the universe it will all be over.

An announcement from Soi Buakhaow University's Chang Professor of Profundity.