NO, not a Retirement/Marriage-VISA, Extension of stay it is!!!

My point is apparently Immigration knows what it is people want and need... if not, just as in the Thai language, they would ask for something more specific.  To get worked up and bothered about it doesn't make sense to me.

In addition, many people that get worked up made the same references in the past.  Saying that they have "learned", in my opinion, is just in their need to show how much knowledge they think they have.... yet they are lacking in so much other knowledge.

There is a staunch advocate of "correct language" in Chiang Mai... yet there are recent instances of that person using the same language they are advocating against.

10 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Immigration may know what people want, but with many Visa types a visit to Immigration isn't required.

It is important for people to understand the basic differences and conditions of their stay in Thailand using Visas or Extensions, especially when they seek advice but wrongly describe the method they are using to be in Thailand.

Personally the frequently used terms 'Retirement Visa' and 'Marriage Visa' leave me somewhat confused as to what they actually have in their passport. Those who have the patience and the desire to help others can only do so if the person requesting advice helps himself by using the correct description (terminology).

Last year a local expat asked my advice as a sudden family death meant he had to rush back to the UK. He stated he was on a 'Marriage Visa'. When I pushed, he stated it was a Non Imm O ME Visa obtain by virtue of being married to a Thai.

I replied he could exit/re-enter Thailand whenever he wanted during the validity of that Visa.

A month later he returned irate having been given a 30 day Visa exempt stamp at Suvarnabhumi.

It transpired he had been on a 'Extension based on Marriage' for the previous two years, but he still insisted he had 'extended his Visa' so was on a Non Imm O ME Visa. I gave the correct information to his question based on what he told me.

Since then I always ask to see their passport first.

That option isn't available when posting on a forum, so even the experts like UJ are sometimes left scratching their nuts and taking an educated guess based on their experience.

So you didn't get upset?   And you got the information you needed by asking for more specifics or to see the passport?

If so, that sounds like what I was saying.  But I am not here to argue.  I just stated my opinion.

When people ask me for help, ideas, or suggestions, I am able to help them to the best of my ability without getting upset and by asking for specific information.

I like to thank you guys for posting a la mass. I think even among the most stubborn guys, that completely refuse to learn anything new, that some of them have actually taking to heart the knowledge shown here among many people who have posted..

And by spreading the knowledge of difference between extension of stay and a simple VISA that is great for many.. Now for many guys, the picture clears for them, and it will be much easier.

I was being blaimed to starting this thread, because I was eager to show my own knowledge, but can assure you that my motive was purely pure tireness of reading million of posts with the same wording... "I have a mariage-VISA or I have a Retirement-VISA"...

I am thinking, do these people never read, and try to learn anything??? It is like one of my friends here, he said exactly to me when I asked him the very same question; "why should I bother to learn, I just go home to you"....

So I think and firmly believe that exactly like that many guys reasoning.... Too damn lazy to learn, and used to being taken care of, back home in their own home-countries.......

Have a wonderful day, and tell me.... are you having a Retirement-VISA???

Glegolo

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I like to thank you guys for posting a la mass. I think even among the most stubborn guys, that completely refuse to learn anything new, that some of them have actually taking to heart the knowledge shown here among many people who have posted..

And by spreading the knowledge of difference between extension of stay and a simple VISA that is great for many.. Now for many guys, the picture clears for them, and it will be much easier.

I was being blaimed to starting this thread, because I was eager to show my own knowledge, but can assure you that my motive was purely pure tireness of reading million of posts with the same wording... "I have a mariage-VISA or I have a Retirement-VISA"...

I am thinking, do these people never read, and try to learn anything??? It is like one of my friends here, he said exactly to me when I asked him the very same question; "why should I bother to learn, I just go home to you"....

So I think and firmly believe that exactly like that many guys reasoning.... Too damn lazy to learn, and used to being taken care of, back home in their own home-countries.......

Have a wonderful day, and tell me.... are you having a Retirement-VISA???

Glegolo

Sorry but post above sound very condicending ( sorry if spelt wrong). 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dentonian said:

OMG!

Some live and learn, some never learn.

There is no such thing as a Marriage Visa, there is no such thing as a Retirement Visa.

There are;

• Non Imm O SE Visas
  • Non Imm O ME Visas
  • Non Imm O-A Visas

All available from Thai Embassies/Consulates (provided you can meet the criteria)  and can be obtain for the purpose of intended retirement or marriage in Thailand

OR

There are 'extension of stay' based on either Retirement or Marriage obtained from local Immigration offices.

And No! When you state Retirement or Marriage Visa, I do not own a crystal ball and although I understand you are referring to one of the above choices, I may make an educated guess and narrow it to two options, but I still don't know exactly what you have in your passport.

No Retirement Visa in Thailand ?

Retirement Visa in Thailand | ThaiEmbassy.com

www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php
If you're planning to retire in Thailand, applying for a retirement visa in Thailand would be the first step to take. Visit us to find out on how to obtain a.

No Marriage Visa in Thailand ?

Thailand Marriage Visa | Thai Immigration

www.thailand-immigration.org/thailand-marriage-visa
Thailand marriage visa is the type of visa granted to eligible foreigner spouse of Thai citizens. Aside from being legally married, the foreign spouse must satisfy the financial and other requirements set by the immigration bureau.

I think we can all agree that a Visa exists, suffice to say, its not used for permanent residency in Thailand, hence the reason extension of stays are there, as for 

• Non Imm O SE Visas
  • Non Imm O ME Visas
  • Non Imm O-A Visas 

Adds to the confusion already out there.

Edited by 4MyEgo

28 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you're planning to retire in Thailand, applying for a retirement visa in Thailand would be the first step to take. Visit us to find out on how to obtain a.

No Marriage Visa in Thailand ?

Thailand marriage visa is the type of visa granted to eligible foreigner spouse of Thai citizens. Aside from being legally married, the foreign spouse must satisfy the financial and other requirements set by the immigration bureau.

I think we can all agree that a Visa exists, suffice to say, its not used for permanent residency in Thailand, hence the reason extension of stays are there, as for 

• Non Imm O SE Visas
  • Non Imm O ME Visas
  • Non Imm O-A Visas 

Visa's are in fact used for permanent stays in thailand my husband stays here full time on non o visa's

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Visa's are in fact used for permanent stays in thailand my husband stays here full time on non o visa's

Yes and you just LOVE to run in and out of Thailand every shitty 90 day I guess.... and therefore you have to change passport every year or what?? Full of stamps.....

So what do you really mean??

Glegolo

32 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Yes and you just LOVE to run in and out of Thailand every shitty 90 day I guess.... and therefore you have to change passport every year or what?? Full of stamps.....

So what do you really mean??

Glegolo

It means what was posted lots of people here permanent on non o visa's 90 day run to border or immigration  and get 60 day extension. His passport is 5 years old not full at all. Just saying your post was incorrect that's all.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

It means what was posted lots of people here permanent on non o visa's 90 day run to border or immigration  and get 60 day extension. His passport is 5 years old not full at all. Just saying your post was incorrect that's all.

First of all, I really do not mean to critize now, this is just a question out of pure curiosity... How come that many people, as you say, on non immigrant "O, run in and out of Thailand, instead of getting an extension of stay, and NEVER have to go out of the country again??

What is the reason..... I have heard many reasons from some people, that say that they are soooo pleased and use this as holidaytrips or shoppingtrips!!! Or is it just, that these people cant show any income at all..??? And do not want to admit their shortcomings??

Glegolo

43 minutes ago, glegolo said:

First of all, I really do not mean to critize now, this is just a question out of pure curiosity... How come that many people, as you say, on non immigrant "O, run in and out of Thailand, instead of getting an extension of stay, and NEVER have to go out of the country again??

What is the reason..... I have heard many reasons from some people, that say that they are soooo pleased and use this as holidaytrips or shoppingtrips!!! Or is it just, that these people cant show any income at all..??? And do not want to admit their shortcomings??

Glegolo

555 you belive what you want if you have already heard many reasons then I expect my husbands will be in there somewhere. You missed one out if you don't want to go near immigration again then you don't have too. And to my husband that is a good reason. Yes we always combine leaving with iether a short break or a bigger holiday so it not a big thing. And yes we know people who can't put the 400k or 800K  on bank but that not make them as you say shortcomings whatever you mean by that. There are many reasons. Each person has his/her own reasons for doing non o or extension. Him like non o works for him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

555 you belive what you want if you have already heard many reasons then I expect my husbands will be in there somewhere. You missed one out if you don't want to go near immigration again then you don't have too. And to my husband that is a good reason. Yes we always combine leaving with iether a short break or a bigger holiday so it not a big thing. And yes we know people who can't put the 400k or 800K  on bank but that not make them as you say shortcomings whatever you mean by that. There are many reasons. Each person has his/her own reasons for doing non o or extension. Him like non o works for him.

Is your office Chiang Mai by any chance?

As mentioned in an earlier post, the stamps in my current passport also say, "Application of stay is permitted up to _____".  No where in my passport does it say extension.

The form to apply for the stay until does say Extension in the title of the form.

Yes, some immigration offices use an extension stamp that says "application of stay" instead of the correct "extension of stay"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

If you're planning to retire in Thailand, applying for a retirement visa in Thailand would be the first step to take. Visit us to find out on how to obtain a. No Marriage Visa in Thailand ?

• Non Imm O SE Visas
  • Non Imm O ME Visas
  • Non Imm O-A Visas 

The person who owns and operates the website thaiembassy.com hasn't got the terminology right.

• Like 1

Actually to be technically comletely correct it shou;d be an extension of stay by reason of marriage or retirement

Whichever applies.

But I'm not getting into this old arguement again.

The name is not important the process invo;ved is the thing not what you call it.

What you call it is just a name you use to be understood by others.

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

Yes, some immigration offices use an extension stamp that says "application of stay" instead of the correct "extension of stay"

For those that must show others how much they know, here is an extract from the translated Immigration Act:

If it is deemed necessary that the aliens have to stay in the Kingdom Longer than the period of
time prescribed in the paragraphs (1) (2) (3) and (4) the Director General shall consider granting the
aliens extension of stay for a period not exceeding one year for each time. After granting permission , the
Director General shall report to the Commission for their information , with the reason , within seven days
from the date of granting.
Each time when applying for an extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom , the alien shall
submit an application and pay the fees as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations. While waiting for
directives the alien may be permitted to stay.

I just don't understand berating someone if they do not use EXACT terminology.  If you must know exactly what someone means, then ask.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hml367 said:

I just don't understand berating someone if they do not use EXACT terminology.  If you must know exactly what someone means, then ask.

'Berating' is a bit harsh.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to open your passport and actually look and read the stamp or Visa type you have in your passport first before asking for advice, or would that be to strenuous an  exercise, instead of letting other members of the forum guess at what their talking about, which I can assure you is far more strenuous and confusing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dentonian said:

Wouldn't it be so much easier to open your passport and actually look and read the stamp or Visa type you have in your passport first before asking for advice, or would that be to strenuous an  exercise, instead of letting other members of the forum guess at what their talking about, which I can assure you is far more strenuous and confusing.

Some responses I see from "some" people are nothing more than an attempt at showing how smart they are, obviously, not all - Ubonjoe is a good example... He politely tells people correct terminology then answers their question.

As mentioned in some posts, including one of mine, there is not one mention of "extension" in MY or some others passport.  That is the reason I made my post.  The Immigration officers I have dealt with always either knew what was happening or asked if they needed more information.  So looking in the passport in many cases would not help unless you or the person trying to offer help looked for themselves.

For myself, I don't have problems at Immigration because I use an agent.  I never had problems at Immigration in Chiang Mai until foreigners started telling them how they should be doing their job and why it wasn't like some place else. 

My final point, if it bothers a person to help someone, don't help them.

12 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Regarding " 'Berating' is a bit harsh."  ... just look at the original post in this thread.  I consider that berating.

2 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

You just don't get it do you?

Some of us actually enjoy helping others.

But it is nigh on impossible when some of them have no clue what they actually have in their passport.

What advise is given depends on what they actually have.

Sometimes it takes more than a page to actually find that out.

How some actually manage to stay here without a clue is beyond me.

Actually, in my opinion, people that get upset with people when they are trying to help them, then continue, are the ones that don't get it.... That is my opinion.

How do you know if I get it ir not? I just don't agree with your apparent thinking.

You also have no idea if I help others or not, and if I do, how many I help.

12 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

But it is nigh on impossible when some of them have no clue what they actually have in their passport.

by the way, regarding your last statement, there are quite a few I wish would not stay here!

51 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

But do they?? Or are they just to quick to jump in with "its not a marriage visa or retirement visa"  How exactly do that help anyone asking question. And yes it does happen a lot standard answer then no other help. Then there are patronising posts such as yours here, It does not help.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

But do they?? Or are they just to quick to jump in with "its not a marriage visa or retirement visa"  How exactly do that help anyone asking question. And yes it does happen a lot standard answer then no other help.

I hope you're not including me here! I simply inform those who want to know how they can renew their marriage or retirement visas that they need to go to Vientiane, Penang or (in the case of marriage) Savannakhet for fresh non-O visas!!

16 hours ago, glegolo said:

Glegolo

Did that for a long time.

A. for the break away somewhere from work. 2 days in Macau is better than one in Imm' office.?

B. because I wanted to keep my 'visa' ? multi o . Working mainly contract so didn't want the 7 day notice etc. Some outside of Thailand work so no hassle with too many 30 day VE's.

Will change to extension/permission to stay next year.