Asylum request in US by first female Afghan fighter pilot causes stir

webfact

Asylum request in US by first female Afghan fighter pilot causes stir

606x341_353406.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- A row has broken out over reports of an asylum request in the US by Afghanistan’s first female fighter pilot.

Niloofar Rahmani was supposed to return to Kabul over the weekend after a much-publicised stint of 15 months’ training with the US Air Force.

But the 25-year-old – nicknamed in the American media as the “Afghan Top Gun” – surprised officials in her home country amid reports that she has applied for political asylum.

Rahmani was quoted as saying her life would be in danger if she returned home, with threats made against her and her family, but the Afghan military denies there is any risk.

Officials in Kabul are urging US authorities to reject the asylum request, claiming that Rahmani has “lied” to try to win residency.

The pilot has been celebrated in the US as an example of how women’s rights can be advanced in countries like Afghanistan and in 2015 she was awarded with the State Department’s Women of Courage award.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-28

Top gun? more kike Top run  what she's doing now.... so it took her all those years in training in Afghanistan and in the US to decide that her life is in danger?  so much for patriotism and loyalty to her country and people....

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Top gun? more kike Top run  what she's doing now.... so it took her all those years in training in Afghanistan and in the US to decide that her life is in danger? so much for patriotism and loyalty to her country and people....

Unfortunately female members of the Afghan police are targeted for assassination, receive very little protection with a number murdered. I would guess the same applies to female members of the Afghan military. The OP talks to publicity, death treats against her, including attempted attacks on her by some members of the family family (from a few other news sources) etc, would you Mr Hero want to return to Afghanistan if you were of the strong believe the death threats against you will be carried out as regularly occurs in Afghanistan. Hopefully the USAF can find a role for her.

Send her back. Her country needs her. End of.

Years of endlessly giving "refugee" status to all and sundry from the 3rd world together with a free house, lots of cash to spend, and even being elevated beyond the standard laws of the land has totally robbed these 3rd worlders of any strength of character. After WW2 Europeans rolled their sleeves up, gritted their teeth and rebuilt. It wasn't easy, sure there would have been some grumbles, but by jove they succeeded and were the envy of the rest of the world. Just look at the state that alot of the ME and NA is in, all the fit young men are on benefits in Europe and there's nobody left to rebuild and repopulate. FRT That is not what I call helping.

The US would look very bad if they made her return to Afghanistan, where she would no doubt be subject to assassination. On the other hand it would be a great PR coup to keep her on board as a USAF pilot, even if her actual skill level (whatever that may actually be) limits her to shuttling planes around to different bases (as women did in the US Army Air Corps during WWII). Not to say women can't be great fighter pilots; we have some now--just that we don't really know what this woman's skills are.

Edited by Dustdevil

She may need to make a very, very strong case.   In general, those serving in the military are not considered to be refugees.   Refusal to serve, or avoiding conscription are not grounds for refugee status.  

Her case will be reviewed very, very carefully.   

3 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

The US should only consider her asylum application if there is an agreement she never can fly a plane in the US.  There is too much risk she is a terrorist.

Get a grip dude. With your user name I am probably more scared of you 555

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Top gun? more kike Top run  what she's doing now.... so it took her all those years in training in Afghanistan and in the US to decide that her life is in danger?  so much for patriotism and loyalty to her country and people....

You obviously don't know much about the Taliban. Their hatred directed towards woman and girls in Afghanistan knows no limits. They think nothing of killing or humiliating women who do not toe their strict concept of Islam. Imagine being stoned to death.....death does not come quickly with this form of execution. This is what this woman could end up facing.

Just now, Mansell said:

Get a grip dude. With your user name I am probably more scared of you 555

How soon the sheep forget about 9/11.  Pilots trained in Florida on education visas.  Muslim extremist groups are adapting their tactics to take advantage of security profiles.  Take a look at the clothes and appearance of the assassin of the Russian ambassador to Turkey.  The Muslim extremists are relying more and more on  women to carry out attacks.  The whole purpose of asylum and immigration policies is not to admit everyone, but to root out security threats.

3 hours ago, jaidam said:

Send her back. Her country needs her. End of.

Years of endlessly giving "refugee" status to all and sundry from the 3rd world together with a free house, lots of cash to spend, and even being elevated beyond the standard laws of the land has totally robbed these 3rd worlders of any strength of character. After WW2 Europeans rolled their sleeves up, gritted their teeth and rebuilt. It wasn't easy, sure there would have been some grumbles, but by jove they succeeded and were the envy of the rest of the world. Just look at the state that alot of the ME and NA is in, all the fit young men are on benefits in Europe and there's nobody left to rebuild and repopulate. FRT That is not what I call helping.

Rebuilt post-WWII thanks in large part to the Marshal Plan.

Edited by Dustdevil

Niloofar Rahmani became the first female fixed-wing military pilot in Afghanistan and a western social media sensation at the age of 21. Now Rahmani and her family face death threats from the Pakistan Taliban, who believe women should not work. Nik Zecevic and jose Marcelino Ortiz discuss the complicated gender politics of the middle east on this edition of the Lip News.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

We may be like brothers and sisters on the outside but on the inside its every man/woman for themselves. Its the nature of the beast self preservation. Unless we have walked in her shoes its hard to take sides. 

She should be granted Asylum. At this point she is almost certainly to be targeted.

I also think American citizen children in Muslim families in America should be granted parental emancipation and government protection if desired. Imagine being an 11 year old girl in Texas and being told by Family it's time for female genital mutilations. Barbaric.

one post said her family originally might be targeted by the Taliban.  I have little doubts about that, but how will her getting asylum in the USA help them back in Afghanistan?  It is easy to be a Monday morning quarterback on this, but wouldn't her family now have two enemies, the Afghan officials and then also the Taliban?

8 hours ago, simple1 said:

Unfortunately female members of the Afghan police are targeted for assassination, receive very little protection with a number murdered. I would guess the same applies to female members of the Afghan military. The OP talks to publicity, death treats against her, including attempted attacks on her by some members of the family family (from a few other news sources) etc, would you Mr Hero want to return to Afghanistan if you were of the strong believe the death threats against you will be carried out as regularly occurs in Afghanistan. Hopefully the USAF can find a role for her.

So should every Afghan woman be given refugee status? And then family reunion immigration?

7 hours ago, Scott said:

She may need to make a very, very strong case.   In general, those serving in the military are not considered to be refugees.   Refusal to serve, or avoiding conscription are not grounds for refugee status.  

Her case will be reviewed very, very carefully.   

Scott, a "well founded fear of persecution " upon return if proven is an axiomatic ticket. I think if she has documents adn can verify her story this is not so hard. She will be granted. 2cents.

8 minutes ago, halloween said:

So should every Afghan woman be given refugee status? And then family reunion immigration?

You pop up on all these stories halloween. Muslims, racial problems, failed integration. 

Do you have issues you want to share?

1 minute ago, optad said:

You pop up on all these stories halloween. Muslims, racial problems, failed integration. 

Do you have issues you want to share?

I have shared my issues more than once.

When she signed up to be a fighter pilot, who did she think she would be fighting? Now that her country has paid a large amount to train her she wants to desert because she is afraid?

Just now, halloween said:

I have shared my issues more than once.

When she signed up to be a fighter pilot, who did she think she would be fighting? Now that her country has paid a large amount to train her she wants to desert because she is afraid?

As you always do, you step into person X's shoes and begin to moralise. Preach form the proverbial. Your vision Halloween, is not how it works thankfully.

19 minutes ago, halloween said:

Think she would be rather selective regards family reunion as some family members have threatened to kill her. She's asked for asylum so would guess, if granted, she would apply to join the USAF or as a civilian pilot.

Last year when Captain Rahmani received the White House's "Women of Courage" award, First Lady Michelle Obama praised the Afghan pilot for continuing to fly "despite threats from the Taliban and even members of her own extended family".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-28/afghan-first-female-fixed-wing-air-force-us-asylum-seeker/8150498

5 minutes ago, optad said:

As you always do, you step into person X's shoes and begin to moralise. Preach form the proverbial. Your vision Halloween, is not how it works thankfully.

Thank you for your amateur psychoanalysis. Now can we address the topic?

Why does her position of refugee status not apply to every muslim woman who rejects the limitations that their religion demands? How does the transplanting of that religion help their position, or that of their hosts?

How do you manage to put so many words, ideas into other people's mouth? lol

It's spectacular talent and the length you will reach to make a connection between a muslim person and some egregious act is a forumed pattern. You do this. Some bored occupation.

I have no idea re her situation but the difference between you, Halloween and me, is that i do not presuppose to know. You conjecture and speculate on stereotypes.

Reflect on the information available here. You bring baggage with you. 

10 minutes ago, halloween said:

Thank you for your amateur psychoanalysis. Now can we address the topic?

Why does her position of refugee status not apply to every muslim woman who rejects the limitations that their religion demands? How does the transplanting of that religion help their position, or that of their hosts?

It's spectacular talent and the length you will reach to make a connection between a muslim person and some egregious act is a forumed pattern. You do this. Some bored occupation.

I have no idea re her situation but the difference between you, Halloween and me, is that i do not presuppose to know. You conjecture and speculate on stereotypes.

1 minute ago, optad said:

Are the questions I ask so inconvenient to you? I oppose muslim immigration, while you give an "axiomatic" pass to one woman, without consideration if that reasoning should not apply to all.

Asking reasonable questions is not conjecture, or speculation, or presupposition. those are just terms you use as slurs because you lack logic to support your position.

Again, i did not give her an 'axiomatic pass'. Words you place on me. What is wrong with you???? Seriously? I put the UNHCR caveat in the post.

She has to meet the criteria laid out. Show me where i gave here a 'pass' pls.

Sharper tools in my shed, Halloween. 

2 minutes ago, optad said:

Again, i did not give her an 'axiomatic pass'. Words you place on me. What is wrong with you???? Seriously? I put the UNHCR caveat in the post.

She has to meet the criteria laid out. Show me where i gave here a 'pass' pls.

Sharper tools in my shed, Halloween. 

Post 20 " Scott, a "well founded fear of persecution " upon return if proven is an axiomatic ticket. I think if she has documents adn can verify her story this is not so hard. She will be granted. 2cents. "

Really? UNHCR was mentioned? And you still don't wish to discuss the questions raised?

Does the reasonable fear of persecution not apply to any muslim woman who refuses to accept her religions dictates?