Tour bus driver fed up with being overworked dumps passengers by the road

webfact

4 hours ago, halloween said:

Total disinterest from the BIB of a bus driver complaining about being overworked. Must be part of the New Year road safety campaign.

The driver definitely qualifies for a free bag of rice.

Police taking no action, shows that the companies who operate tours ect have more power than the police.

That is pretty dambing and shocking that the police actually are condoning bus companies extorting drivers and making them work dangerous hours with no regard for public safety.

Drivers should have to carry log books, and drivers should be exchanged on long hauls, Hua Hin to Chiang Mai an example where one driver goes for over twelve hours and is very tired and a bit dangerous nearing the end of a haul.

Shocking and disgusting action by the police, no wonder the roads are so bad here.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, hardly the tourist's faults that he was overworked, but they most certainly have had their time wasted and inconvenienced.

I think it should have been of interest to at least the Tourist police, were they not defrauded or kidnapped in a way, and was the image of Thailand not brought into disrepute?

Think the driver may be cleverer than what some people think,he probably has complained previously about this situation at the depot,and been threatened with the sack,and nothing has been done about it.

This time he has a bus full of passengers,stopped up the road,and gotten the publicity he needed to highlight the exhaustive hours these drivers work,and the danger to his passengers,and other road users...Well done that Man..Sawasdee Pee Mai to you....and your surviving passengers.....TIT.

Bus driver and his company face harsh penalties after abandoning passengers by the roadside

291204.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A bus driver was fined 5,000 baht and had his driving license suspended for 30 days by the Land Transport Department after he was found guilty of abandoning his passengers.

The department also fined the owner of the bus, Inthra Tour Company, 50,000 baht and blacklisted the bus in question, Number 15-9952, after it was discovered that the bus was not fitted with GPS tracking device as required and that the company did not pay the annual road tax for the year 2016.

Land Transport Department director-general Sanit Promwong said that the incident occurred on December 28 involving Inthra Tour Company’s bus No 15-9952 on its way to Chiang Mai from Bangkok with 48 passengers of both Thais and foreign tourists with Mr Sakvarit Pawanthao acting as the driver.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-driver-company-face-harsh-penalties-abandoning-passengers-roadside/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-30

1 minute ago, webfact said:

Bus driver and his company face harsh penalties after abandoning passengers by the roadside

291204.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A bus driver was fined 5,000 baht and had his driving license suspended for 30 days by the Land Transport Department after he was found guilty of abandoning his passengers.

The department also fined the owner of the bus, Inthra Tour Company, 50,000 baht and blacklisted the bus in question, Number 15-9952, after it was discovered that the bus was not fitted with GPS tracking device as required and that the company did not pay the annual road tax for the year 2016.

Land Transport Department director-general Sanit Promwong said that the incident occurred on December 28 involving Inthra Tour Company’s bus No 15-9952 on its way to Chiang Mai from Bangkok with 48 passengers of both Thais and foreign tourists with Mr Sakvarit Pawanthao acting as the driver.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-driver-company-face-harsh-penalties-abandoning-passengers-roadside/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-30

Revoke the fine and give him a 5,000 Baht reward for safeguarding his passengers.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Past time the so -called government did something to regulate bus/truck drivers hours.

What this man did was only partially correct as already stated he should have refused to leave the bus station 

if he was tired. Good on him for high lighting the situation of companies over working drivers.

sometimes supervisors are not listening or in worse case threaten you not to complain, this happens all around the world and not only in Thailand. He stopped working and made headlines, hopefully the right move to bring the aimer of this widespread problem is recognized by the acting junta.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Protect and SERVE...  completely lost on the BIB.   Somebody really ought to explain it to them.   Bus passengers stranded on the road - not their BUSINESS??!!   Oh, this'll look sweet on social media, and should do absolute wonders for the tourist trade..

But they're more worried about rounding up teenage hackers.  And geriatric bridge players WERE their business??!!   Yeap, sounds about right.

I believe "P&S" is an American thing.

I have found 2 claims to the Thai police motto:

1 "Protect the Peace"

2 "I Will Show You"

We all know whose "Peace" they seek to protect.  As for the second, possibly it continues ".....who's the boss".

American laws/ethics are not universal.  A source of much confusion/frustration/anger to many foreigners in Thailand.

Edited by Enoon

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

"Another report says the driver was fined 5,000bt and license suspended for 30 days and company fined 50000bt for no GPS and tax. Same location was reported, another bus took them to Chiang Mai.
Company was Inthra Tour Company.
"

If this is correct, it makes a significant comment about the reliability of the original article. Instead of no legal action and returning to Bangkok, we have fines and then passengers taken on to Chiangmai ...

29 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Since many posters thought his actions were great, I don't see many, or any, volunteering to pay his fine.

Maybe set up a Gofundme page, and make a tidy profit.

You may believe in Jesus Christ but you shouldn't take his job away.

5 hours ago, jackinthebox said:

the annoying thing is that this looks like a "BorKorSor" (บ.ค.ส.)-Bus to me, wich is, ASAP, a state run company (www.transport.co.th) so it is not only " business of the tour company " IMHO

You are indeed correct, the bus is a Transport Company vehicle and is one of those assigned on a regular route, in this case possibly BKK to CM. Why he turned round and returned when he was already at Khampaeng Phet, almost half the distance, is beyond me. As many posters have stated, on a long distance trip, there ought to be two drivers on the crew. The upside is that no-one was hurt, just seriously inconvenienced.

Edited by ratcatcher

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Maybe he should have refused to take the bus from the depot in the first place ?

Are we sure that he didn't? Perhaps he did but was threatened. Afterwards he might have thought he'd teach 'someone' a lesson by first delaying then returning to BKK where it has now been made public. That might be the end of employment there though. All 'if's' and 'buts' I know but he obviously felt p***ed off enough to do something.

36 minutes ago, DuiDui48 said:

Don't i miss something here,A SECOND driver..Shouldn't it be 2 driver on a long route like this?

there only seems to be one company in Thailand (Nakhonchai Air bus company) that complies with the rule of having 2 bus drivers on long routes

http://www.nca.co.th/main_en.html

Edited by Asiantravel

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

Another report says the driver was fined 5,000bt and license suspended for 30 days and company fined 50000bt for no GPS and tax. Same location was reported, another bus took them to Chiang Mai.
Company was Inthra Tour Company.

Good. I don't get this kudos-to-the-driver at all. What he did was have no regard for his passengers, dumping them by the side of the road. I'm sure if the folk praising this little girl were on that bus, they wouldn't be so quick to pat him on the back. If you're overworked, you tell your boss to his face, don't do the job, go home, work as a barber, whatever... just don't give in and take it out on others. Drove them back to Bkk as well. Sorry, he's pathetic.

3 hours ago, jamhar said:

I'd be interested to know if the passengers on the bus considers the driver a hero.

If the driver would have kept driving and then fell asleep and crashed with injuries and possible fatalities to the passengers and the driver stopped the crash from happening, the passengers would have been grateful .

If I was on a bus and the driver was falling asleep, I would be extremely grateful for him to stop and kick me off the bus

2 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Good. I don't get this kudos-to-the-driver at all. What he did was have no regard for his passengers, dumping them by the side of the road. I'm sure if the folk praising this little girl were on that bus, they wouldn't be so quick to pat him on the back. If you're overworked, you tell your boss to his face, don't do the job, go home, work as a barber, whatever... just don't give in and take it out on others. Drove them back to Bkk as well. Sorry, he's pathetic.

It is quite possible that when he departed, the thought that he could get to CM , he he felt tired along the way and he was falling asleep at the wheel and then decided not to continue .

I suppose that you woulnt have been a "little girl" and you would have been a *Big Man* and carried on driving and crashed the bus and killed numerous passengers

14 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

You are indeed correct, the bus is a Transport Company vehicle and is one of those assigned on a regular route, in this case possibly BKK to CM. Why he turned round and returned when he was already at Khampaeng Phet, almost half the distance, is beyond me. As many posters have stated, on a long distance trip, there ought to be two drivers on the crew. The upside is that no-one was hurt, just seriously inconvenienced.

It could have been that he was scheduled to drive back from CM to BKK quite soon after he arrived in CM

His bus had been quite significantly delayed , so the CM to BKK departure time may well have been a few hours later .

Also, maybe he just decided to quit driving buses there and then and just went back home