Lengthy criminal case against former PM Yingluck set to reach conclusion

rooster59

By Kasamakorn Chanwanpen 
The Nation

b2334cde978ad0706894d1c24449f272-sld.jpeg

Yingluck

The new year will see the end of the ongoing criminal case against ousted former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra over her alleged negligence of duty in the rice-pledging scheme.

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders will hear defence witnesses in another six trials which are scheduled during the first half of the year. The last trial is scheduled for July 21 and the court is expected to give its verdict not long after its conclusion, Yingluck’s lawyer Norawich Larlang said.

If found guilty, the former prime minister could face up to 10 years in prison. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303192

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-01

Its good that the verdict will be made when the junta is still in power. Then at least the judges don't have to live in fear if they convict her. Previously the PTP made known the private details of judges that when against them so that their minions could intimidate / assault them. At least now they can judge without fear of those kind of PTP tactics.. of course they might still fear repercussions if the PTP comes in power. So its not perfect but better as doing such a judgement with them in power. 

I think she will be convicted without jail-time and just a fine.. to keep everyone happy. By convicting her she can't run for PM anymore that would be useful at least. 

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its good that the verdict will be made when the junta is still in power. Then at least the judges don't have to live in fear if they convict her. Previously the PTP made known the private details of judges that when against them so that their minions could intimidate / assault them. At least now they can judge without fear of those kind of PTP tactics.. of course they might still fear repercussions if the PTP comes in power. So its not perfect but better as doing such a judgement with them in power. 

I think she will be convicted without jail-time and just a fine.. to keep everyone happy. By convicting her she can't run for PM anymore that would be useful at least. 

"Its good that the verdict will be made when the junta is still in power. Then at least the judges don't have to live in fear if they convict her."

But then one could argue the judges might have to live in fear if they don't convict her...

I think you are right about the no jail time and just a fine, though.

The deal will have been reached in lengthy negotiations and arm-twisting. The junta hold most of the cards and will wield power through its proxy judges.

Suspended sentence. Further ban from political office. Huge fine and confiscation of assets. Plus all types of unannounced agreements, particularly to keep a very low profile.

10 minutes ago, baboon said:

"Its good that the verdict will be made when the junta is still in power. Then at least the judges don't have to live in fear if they convict her."

But then one could argue the judges might have to live in fear if they don't convict her...

I think you are right about the no jail time and just a fine, though.

Do tell me what has the junta ever done to judges ? Unlike the proven bad track record from the PTP the junta has never intimidated judges. Oh... I forgot the cake-box incident of that runs in the family that could also influence things. 

But seems that at least we are in agreement that it would just be a fine and no jail-time. 

11 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Be glad to see the back of all this. It wouldn't do them any good sending her down, which would really pee off her followers. 

It might also help to consolidate respect for the law and the consequences of breaking the law, if she's pronounced guilty of course.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

"convicting her she can't run for PM anymore that would be useful at least."

That has always been the one and only intention of the junta. Disqualify those who you know you cannot beat or those you support cannot win an election against.

Seriously, what is more surprising is that given the military's history, the facts of this case, the courts being stacked with military appointed allies and an illegal government with self appointed full ammunity pushing their own agenda, that still, some people support these baboons and cant see what is clearly occurring right in front of them.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

By Kasamakorn Chanwanpen 
The Nation

b2334cde978ad0706894d1c24449f272-sld.jpeg

Yingluck

The new year will see the end of the ongoing criminal case against ousted former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra over her alleged negligence of duty in the rice-pledging scheme.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: like when? After Hearing number 10, number 11, number 12, number 13 and so on??????

24 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

"convicting her she can't run for PM anymore that would be useful at least."

That has always been the one and only intention of the junta. Disqualify those who you know you cannot beat or those you support cannot win an election against.

Seriously, what is more surprising is that given the military's history, the facts of this case, the courts being stacked with military appointed allies and an illegal government with self appointed full ammunity pushing their own agenda, that still, some people support these baboons and cant see what is clearly occurring right in front of them.

They all got here because of Thaksin his amnesty.. without it.. they would be in power. (yea yea i know the conspiracy people thinking the junta would have taken over because of the THE event but without the support of the people on the street im sure they would not, the amnesty was what was their downfall. They got all what they deserved)

If they would have been busy running the country and not getting him back.. and would not have gone for fake G2G deals that cost the state billions then nothing would have happened. They made their bed and have to lie in it. 

Yes it would be useful wouldn't it. It would stop the people from selecting her, through the ballot box, for the post of prime minister - again.

Honestly, you enthusiasts for junta government amaze me sometimes. A conviction would be useful, as it would stop her being elected!
Inconvenient things elections aren't they?

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes it would be useful wouldn't it. It would stop the people from selecting her, through the ballot box, for the post of prime minister - again.

Honestly, you enthusiasts for junta government amaze me sometimes. A conviction would be useful, as it would stop her being elected!
Inconvenient things elections aren't they?

She is just a puppet for the guy in Dubai.. not really democratic is it.. so whatever gets her banned even if not nice is just evening it up.  

14 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

I have no red book nor alliance to any particular side but I can see what is clearly going on, why it is so and what is the hopefull result by those in charge. Lets be honest, the military wanted Yingluck to flee so they can, for the next 2 decades refer to her as " the fugitive ", the shins as " the fugitive family" and so on.

Even before Yingluck was elected PM, based on history, these events were clearly predictable. She was always going to win and the military were always going to come up with a reason to overthrow her. Its not like they dont have history.

As for who is or isnt corrupt I dont know but from an outsider looking in, i would say they probably all are or at least benefit themselves to the detriment of the country and people.

As for who is better, its like choosing between an armed robber and rapist. 

I guess we agree there, both sides are far from perfect and deserve eachother. Its just a matter of preference who you support because both are not democratic or good. Like you said.. both are bad.. just choose the one that you like most. I dislike the junta less then I dislike the PTP. 

40 minutes ago, robblok said:

I guess we agree there, both sides are far from perfect and deserve eachother. Its just a matter of preference who you support because both are not democratic or good. Like you said.. both are bad.. just choose the one that you like most. I dislike the junta less then I dislike the PTP. 

I agree with you on that.

As Tony Abbot said: "It' baddies V Baddies"

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then why no uprising now ? maybe the support was not as good as you think.. but hey you think you know best.. so do I.. Its easy to vote for the one that is least bad. But to take risks  for a party you don't really like (just dislike less as the other party) is not something people would do. 

I certainly would not risk a thing for the junta as I just dislike them less but that is far from supporting them. I just figure the rest of the people think similar. Around here people just don't care and this was redshirt area before. 

Please explain how you conclude the military coup and junta government as least bad than elected government. All the elements that got the previous government into trouble were in blatant display by the junta government. Nepotism, cronyism, corruption, populist policies, bad governance, amnesty bill and puppet PM. How is taking away people rights to chose their leaders and imposing draconian laws to stop expression and free speech, vague computer law and a charter written to ensure military dominance of elected government better. Would like to hear your opinion. 

24 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Where have i said in any of my posts that people care that much? Read what i wrote not what you want to read.

I dont need to prove anything. The previous two elections show that despite no open action against the coup it probably was not widely 'supported' as you claim.

The fallacy in your argument is that the protests, and if you went and looked you know it was far more people than the Shin regime pretended, occurred after elections. I'd suggest some of those protesting previously voted for Yingluck and then reacted against their behavior.

What's clear is that violence is disliked, rightly so. And PTP and their expensive CAPO were doing nothing to stop it, or even attempting to catch those responsible. 

Just now, Baerboxer said:

PDRC hi-jacked those protests. Considerable numbers of people protested against the attempted whitewash of Thaksin by his government and the way it was being manipulated through parliament.

I doubt all of those people were supporters of the PDRC, Sutthep or the Monk.

There were some protestors, many of them complaining about corruption. Funny they have suddenly lost their collective voice and don't seem to care about corruption anymore. Its almost as if they didn't really care about corruption as long as its their people doing it.......Now who would of thought it............duhh

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

It is hyperbole. You say it as if it was widespread. 

Being elected does not mean you can act illegally. Obviously having a Coup and acting illegally is fine though.

It's not hyperbole. You are free to interpret it how you wish. But, as well you know, in any case involving PTP mandarins whilst they were in power, some of those things happened. Widespread - do you mean in the context of cases involving Shins, their clan or political party members?

Your final sentence is yours not mine. I never said that - something you constantly write to other posters. But of course hypocrisy is fine.

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

There were some protestors, many of them complaining about corruption. Funny they have suddenly lost their collective voice and don't seem to care about corruption anymore. Its almost as if they didn't really care about corruption as long as its their people doing it.......Now who would of thought it............duhh

Seems corruption, as various polls suggest, is considered differently here than in other countries. Whereas we Westerners hate all corruption, in Asia it seems some is expected and accepted.

But of course their are limits and openly being excessive and in your face isn't so accepted.

As always, do what we say, not as we do.