Cologne police: New Year arrests of North Africans ‘not racial profiling’

webfact

Cologne police: New Year arrests of North Africans ‘not racial profiling’

Alasdair Sandford

606x341_353850.jpg

COLOGNE: -- The chief of police in the German city of Cologne has dismissed claims of racial profiling after hundreds of North African men were detained during New Year festivities.

The authorities wanted to prevent a repeat of last year’s mass sexual assaults.

The police have defended an overnight tweet, which prompted strong criticism that people were detained based on their appearance alone.

At issue was the use of the word “Nafris” – according to police, an internal term to describe young men from North Africa “who have been attracting attention for years for their readiness to use violence and/or to commit criminal offences.”

Cologne’s police chief said officers had orders to approach potential trouble makers.

“Regarding the young men from North African countries, who were acting suspiciously, I can tell you they had already been noticed as early as 7pm in the area around the main station. There we noticed people, some of them drunk, who – as it was described to me – were just standing there in groups becoming aggressive. So it was clear that something was going to happen if we did not intervene promptly and decisively,” Jürgen Mathies told a news conference.

The police chief added that almost all of hundreds of people detained were from North African countries. About 100 people were held overnight.

At New Year 12 months ago hundreds of women complained of being mugged, harassed and sexually assaulted. An estimated 1,000 men were believed to have been involved, and anger at the failure of police to tackle the problem led to the then chief of police being suspended.

This time, the police say around a dozen sexual assaults were reported.

Anti-immigration groups launched scathing criticisms of the German government after last year’s assaults, citing Chancellor Angela Merkel’s open door policy to refugees fleeing war.

However subsequent reports revealed that only a handful of those arrested over the mass sex attack were from Iraq and Syria – with the majority being of Algerian, Moroccan or Tunisian descent.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-03

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

The authorities wanted to prevent a repeat of last year’s mass sexual assaults.

So if the attacks were carried out from the previous years by immigrants and it would seem that many are from North Africa are the police not doing their job. The article is trying to jump on the band wagon of playing the racist card and in poor taste IMO

Edited by Laughing Gravy

This criticism of the Cologne police is absurd. So what if they’re ‘profiling’? They’re there to prevent crime and ‘profiling’ is an important factor in that equation.

It’s amazing that profiling has become such a knee jerk issue. We all profile virtually every day; it’s how we recognize danger, anticipate critical events and stay alive.

The people of Cologne are fortunate that their police are being proactive. They’re doing their job.

When you seek exile in another country you are bound by their laws.

If they are doing routine checks in this heightened time of threats and you don't like it, go back to your own country and deal with the rebels you allegedly fleed from.

That racist card should be null, don't like it go back to where you came from.

14 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

This criticism of the Cologne police is absurd. So what if they’re ‘profiling’? They’re there to prevent crime and ‘profiling’ is an important factor in that equation.

It’s amazing that profiling has become such a knee jerk issue. We all profile virtually every day; it’s how we recognize danger, anticipate critical events and stay alive.

The people of Cologne are fortunate that their police are being proactive. They’re doing their job.

I agree. However, presumptive preventative detention does touch upon some nerves as it steps upon the boundaries of traditional law enforcement.  I believe a reasonable article covering these issues at:

https://www.thelocal.de/20170102/the-word-nafri-and-why-it-is-causing-such-a-stir-in-germany

No racial profiling necessary. Just profile in all directions and you will find out the perps belong to a special racial and geographical background.

But why should the police make it unnecessary difficult for themselves?

In Merkel- and After-Merkel-Germany there is a good reason for racial profiling.

It is not the race. It is the (anti-)social background where they come from. And in this case it just happens that nearly all of them belong to a certain race.

Edited by sweatalot

After the first mistake merkel made, she made the next one. They were let loose against the German population. They were let in to save them from danger. This was a very kind act.

This does not mean they need to be treated like German citizens. It is clear their background and their behavior makes them dangerous.

It is also known, those kind of people are not interested to be integrated. So why not have them in concentration camps to protect the citizens. Let them work for the costs their stay is causing to protect the German tax payer. And make clear they have to go back as soon as the danger for them is over. But always give them freedom to leave the camp any time to be deported where they came from. 

Trying to integrate them is ridiculous.

And letting them in the way it was done is a crime.

Edited by sweatalot

One could easily make an argument that political correctness was the reason for both Brexit, and the Trump victory. It is a social weakness, and not something I take seriously. If someone wants to choose to be offended, by something I say, so be it. I have black friend, who refers to other black people as African Americans. I have never heard another black man use that expression, except Blundering Barry Obama. I told him do not ever expect me to use those silly words. You have never even been to Africa. You do not speak any African languages. You are what, six to ten generations removed from Africa, and you use that inane expression? Most of my black friends either use the N word, or say black. None say that. It is beyond ridiculous. A friend of mine who lives in San Francisco says it is the same thing with the lesbian community. If you do not get the expression of what their exact persuasion is correctly, you are berated. I have no time for that. 

Political correctness is contributing to the decline of Western civilization, and encourages thin skin. It is an abomination. 

I miss those days when you could legally ban groups of undesirables entrance to your nightclub, public parks and such. Unfortunately strict anti discrimination laws came into effect at the moment these undesirables started swarming into Europe, leaving them free to practice their anti social and medieval practices !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I don't see the problem with racial profiling, it should be common practice at every airport in the world. Of course the liberal elite will start bleating about "racism",  they would rather see white grannies having to take their shoes off and be frisked in the name of "cohesion". Being forced to accept more and more political correctness can only increase xenophobia

1 hour ago, Yahooka said:

I miss those days when you could legally ban groups of undesirables entrance to your nightclub, public parks and such. Unfortunately strict anti discrimination laws came into effect at the moment these undesirables started swarming into Europe, leaving them free to practice their anti social and medieval practices !

You bet. Bring back the days when coloureds were obliged to use different facilities, when Asians  were not allowed in  and where cripples had to crawl up a set of stairs if they wanted in. Those were the glory days weren't they?

1 hour ago, Kevbo said:

I don't see the problem with racial profiling, it should be common practice at every airport in the world. Of course the liberal elite will start bleating about "racism",  they would rather see white grannies having to take their shoes off and be frisked in the name of "cohesion". Being forced to accept more and more political correctness can only increase xenophobia

You don't see the problem do you. Under your simplistic view there is an assumption that only one ethnic group would be high risk and you would neglect everyone else. Ever hear of Timothy McVeigh? His was the author of one of the deadliest of  terrorist attacks in the USA. Ever hear of the Unabomber? He was killing people  in the USA for decades before he was caught. Many of the 9-11  murderers were clean shaven and had dyed hair with one a very effeminate looking blonde. The shoe bomber  that caused the  USA to become obsessed with shoes was a very light skinned  afro American. Is it really efficient to single out every light skinned Afro American? Ever hear of the Basque separatists, ETA? The IRA? Bader Meinhoff? Red Brigades?  etc  .None of these people fit your convenient swarthy stereotype and yet the IRA inflicted more casualties in the UK than any other terrorist group including those who are Islamic terrorists. Many of the IRA operatives were rather pale white looking.What of the mental deficients non muslims who joined ISIL and wish to wage war on the USA? That Adam Gahan chap wasn't an arab, nor even a born muslim. Think man, think.

Hardly profiling when the victim says she was raped by a black male.. What are the police supposed to do ? Round up a cross section of society Or round up people who actually fit the description of the perp ?

Nobody screams racial profiling when they are looking for a white male do they ? <deleted>

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You bet. Bring back the days when coloureds were obliged to use different facilities, when Asians  were not allowed in  and where cripples had to crawl up a set of stairs if they wanted in. Those were the glory days weren't they?

You don't see the problem do you. Under your simplistic view there is an assumption that only one ethnic group would be high risk and you would neglect everyone else. Ever hear of Timothy McVeigh? His was the author of one of the deadliest of  terrorist attacks in the USA. Ever hear of the Unabomber? He was killing people  in the USA for decades before he was caught. Many of the 9-11  murderers were clean shaven and had dyed hair with one a very effeminate looking blonde. The shoe bomber  that caused the  USA to become obsessed with shoes was a very light skinned  afro American. Is it really efficient to single out every light skinned Afro American? Ever hear of the Basque separatists, ETA? The IRA? Bader Meinhoff? Red Brigades?  etc  .None of these people fit your convenient swarthy stereotype and yet the IRA inflicted more casualties in the UK than any other terrorist group including those who are Islamic terrorists. Many of the IRA operatives were rather pale white looking.What of the mental deficients non muslims who joined ISIL and wish to wage war on the USA? That Adam Gahan chap wasn't an arab, nor even a born muslim. Think man, think.

How unexpected ! more self righteous nonsense from the PC brigade, the threat I am concerned with is from TODAY'S terrorists, the vast majority of which are muslims, no one is suggesting we could thwart every attempt at murdering innocent citizens but with more people who think like me and less that "think" like you we could cut down their percentage of success.

Racial profiling at airports has proven to be very successful in certain parts of the world so we know it works unlike appeasement which we know doesn't. I didn't start this war but I'm not so blinkered that I don't know who the enemy is. Political correctness kills, so stop it and always remember to "think man think"

6 hours ago, sweatalot said:

After the first mistake merkel made, she made the next one. They were let loose against the German population. They were let in to save them from danger. This was a very kind act.

This does not mean they need to be treated like German citizens. It is clear their background and their behavior makes them dangerous.

It is also known, those kind of people are not interested to be integrated. So why not have them in concentration camps to protect the citizens. Let them work for the costs their stay is causing to protect the German tax payer. And make clear they have to go back as soon as the danger for them is over. But always give them freedom to leave the camp any time to be deported where they came from. 

Trying to integrate them is ridiculous.

And letting them in the way it was done is a crime.

I could not agree more. To think, that over 1500 german women were either raped or manhandled in Cologne by these animals last sylvester makes your skin crawl by the thought that it would, with the utmost certainty, have happened again were it not for the astute reaction of the 2000 (!!) german police awaiting them.

Other german cities, which did NOT take these precautions suffered the same damage (pillage and plunder) to their female population as last year, due to the same animals from north african extraction.

I know I am not allowed to say this, but they should be e...... on the spot.

We're conflating two issues here - one is terrorism, and the other is young moslem mens perception that every Westen woman is a slut asking for it. Anybody who has had a young female relative visit a country with a large North African population will know what I'm talking about.

I see 2017 starts quite well for the racists alt-rights.

3 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Hardly profiling when the victim says she was raped by a black male.. What are the police supposed to do ? Round up a cross section of society Or round up people who actually fit the description of the perp ?

Nobody screams racial profiling when they are looking for a white male do they ? <deleted>

Do they arrest all white male when this happen? 

4 hours ago, Yahooka said:

Goebels agreed with you on more than one point. Let's hope the thai won't do a racial profiling when it comes to big bellied farangs on walking street...

Whatever the police do or not do ? there will always be critique from the same side of the society's spectrum !!!! anyway this is better than to repeat last year's scandalous behavior !!!

Edited by off road pat

Goebels agreed with you on more than one point. Let's hope the thai won't do a racial profiling when it comes to big bellied farangs on walking street...

What a load of hoagwash. Your pathetic attempts to bring up all the unfairs that has happened through the centuries is a total dud. I'm talking about about up until recently you could ban groups of people you didn't want on your premises or loitering in public harassing others , nobody is talking about blacks being put on the back of the bus

4 hours ago, DavidVincent said:

Do they arrest all white male when this happen? 

Not gonna effect me. No big belly, seldom go to WS.

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

When Irish terrorists exploded bombs in the UK.. Guess what ? The authorities went looking for Irish people... Is that racial profiling or effective police work ?

How do you find a suspect if you don't use their description to narrow the search ?

Of course there is a tiny chance that the IRA guy in question was actuslly was a black dude from Memphis hired to do the job...

The clue is in the name.. 'Islamic terrorism' Good chance the perp is islamic.. Oh and btw Islam isn't a race.. 

Same as last year in Germany. Witnesses and victims reported attacks by North African looking men... Whatya gonna do Einstien ? Stake out a synagog or a day care center ?  I'm pretty sure if the perps had been reported as "Japanese looking"

The cops would be checking out people with an Asian appearance..

I always wonder what all the liberal apologists would do when a black dude rapes their sister.. Gonna tell the cops not to interview black guys cos it's "racist"

yeah right....

5 hours ago, Kevbo said:

How unexpected ! more self righteous nonsense from the PC brigade, the threat I am concerned with is from TODAY'S terrorists, the vast majority of which are muslims, no one is suggesting we could thwart every attempt at murdering innocent citizens but with more people who think like me and less that "think" like you we could cut down their percentage of success.

Racial profiling at airports has proven to be very successful in certain parts of the world so we know it works unlike appeasement which we know doesn't. I didn't start this war but I'm not so blinkered that I don't know who the enemy is. Political correctness kills, so stop it and always remember to "think man think"

You are still wrong. Racial profiling doesn't work  under today's circumstances.  How many times do you have to be told that the most dangerous of terrorists are home grown. They fly under the radar  because ignorant fools insist that terrorists fit in a nice little   set of parameters. This isn't about appeasement.  The assumption of racial profiling in Israel is wrong, for the simple reason that a large proportion of Israelis are  arabs. They can be jewish, or christian or  muslim.  Arab Israelis carry the same passport as other Israelis. They screen everyone . The colour coding of bags was dropped long ago..  More importantly, the previous emphasis upon travel history and national passport  doesn't reflect the reality of today, which is that terrorists are recruited from Australia, Canada , the EU etc. because they have "safe" nationalities.  They do however take the screening process seriously. Unfortunately, if a 3 hour screening  and waiting process was attempted in a larger market, air travel would come to a standstill. US nationals go ballistic when the TSA does a patdown. Patdowns are to be expected in Tel Aviv. Tel Aviv handles about 16 million pax per annum. That's nothing. Phuket is approximately 14 million. Airline passengers will not accept the delays, nor the additional costs of security if the Israeli model is implemented.

I see your point, but neither the ETA, the Bader Meinhoff, the Red Brigades or for that matter, IRA was part of a wave of refugees from their respective countries of origin (well maybe the IRA since many Irish went to England for a number of reasons, mainly Work I think) the Una bomber committed his crimes in the USA and so did Timothy McVeigh.
So profiling wouldn't have done much good I suspect.
The days when people, just because of skincolour, got treated as secondhand citizen's were not the "good o'l days" or "glory days" but something any society should be proud of to have eradicated.
However, this is now...I know a small northern European country that during 2015/16 took in over 200.000 asylum seekers....on a population of 9 million.
And that's not counting around a million in the decades before.
The crime rate have soared, the government and media outdo each other in way's to suppress this fact, that in turn leads to xenophobia and since the majority of foreigners are of North African or Middle Eastern decent...profiling is unavoidable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Have to agree with the above. No smoke without fire. Massive ethnic minority prison population ( recent and second generation ) Incidences of sexual grooming, sexual assault, honour killings, FGM, forced marriage are all higher in these groups %wise when compared to the indigenous population.. But still the media and the authorities do their best to gloss over the cases.

True integration and equality should mean you get punished whatever your background. But it seems that many are getting a pass to avoid social unrest.

- Sexual relations outside marriages are strongly condemned in Muslim countries and the very important expenses necessitated by a marriage force young men - unless they have a personal fortune - to postpone the date of their marriage until they can afford the costs , often after they get 30 y.o. This is the classic explanation of sexual harassment .

- Collective sexual harassment "is known in the Arab countries as" taharrush gamea " :  isolation and encirclement of women by a group of men . ( These collective rapes were recorded for the first time in 2005 in Egypt).

is even possible to distinguish, according to the mode of operation, whether it is a coordinated attack, sponsored, or popular sexual harassment. In the first case, the attacks are simultaneous, very intensive;

It is clear that the crowd effect is used as protection of the perpetrators, as satisfaction of frustrations, as the occasion of robberies and perhaps also as a technique of humiliation. It is also likely that the authors expect a lack of response given the difficulty of filing a complaint on these grounds

As is often the case when Muslims or North Africans are involved, police officials feared the accusations of racism and minimized things to avoid polemics.

Edited by Opl