Video: Another example of Thai driving as cop hit on Zebra Crossing

webfact

3 hours ago, thai3 said:

My mrs could not believe it in NZ, the cars actually stop for you before you even get on the crossing, it's called civilized law abiding considerate behavior.

I got the same experience when I visit my home country this year! Cars stopped when I was waiting at zebra to cross the road... Even when I was still walking towards the zebra! Amazing :-)
At first I did not trust them....  I thought they waited for taking better aim at me, like in Thailand 555

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The driver was totally in the wrong, but this shows the contempt Thai people have for the police.

When I get stopped by the BIB, I have to remember they are the police, not just dress up characters with parachute medals as I have no respect for them.  

If you did this in Los Angeles, CA you would be locked up so fast for assault on a police officer it would make your head spin. 

Lost count of the Asian countries that I have visited or worked in and have never ever once trusted a zebra crossing in any of them. I have never ever understood why Asian countries have them. I thought they were designed to work only in the western world. Just my own opinion and I am still alive because I don't use them. There is no point. I do respect what the cop is trying to do but...............

17 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

The driver was totally in the wrong, but this shows the contempt Thai people have for the police.

When I get stopped by the BIB, I have to remember they are the police, not just dress up characters with parachute medals as I have no respect for them.  

If you did this in Los Angeles, CA you would be locked up so fast for assault on a police officer it would make your head spin. 

Same in Australia. You would instantly be a beagle boy

6 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

You dont get it do you. When there are people crossing or are about to cross the road at zebra crossings you must stop. The issue is not the policeman and his clothes but the rules of the road. 

Fruitman is saying that the cars don't stop, we all know they should, but 100%, not 99.9%, of Thai drivers will not stop to let anyone cross the road, they will not deliberately run them down, although that's the impression you get, but put one foot on the road at a crossing, and there is no chance of any Thai driver stopping.

Also, no one has any right to stop traffic to allow someone come out from a side road or an entrance to anywhere, security guard or not, they should wait until the road is clear.

7 hours ago, See Will said:

He should have shot a tire flat and confiscate the car forever as it is used as a weapon, that is how to handle the traffic idiots in Thailand. 

While watching the video it looks as if he was indeed trying to get to his gun. Unfortunately his rain coat got in the way.

foreingers have to remember as pedestrians we have NO rights...don't be fooled by walk lights, zebra xings and one car that may stop to let you go.. most Asian countrys don't give a FLYING F if you have child r in a wheel chair..beware the same goes for mini vans never ever fall asleep and think you are safe..watch the driver like a hawk...stay safe

3 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

To be honest I do not believe there is.

An example:

My wife's (errant and delinquent 30 yr old) son finally returned the car after having "borrowed" it for two and a half years (long story but not for here) and the window tint is so fricing dark front, side and rear that on cloudy days, dawn and dusk it is an absolute safety risk to all inside and out in terms of visibility.

my wife ( defending her spawn) did not believe me until I opened the window showing how light it was outside when compared to what we could see through the tints.

needless to say the reckless irresponsible git is not happy to stump up to have the tints removed so I told the missus I will not drive the car at any time when I feel the visibility is or is likely to be impaired .

OFC I am the swine in this matter........

I was told that there is a Thai Standard for tinting, but like most such rules, they're ignored or forgotten.

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Fruitman is saying that the cars don't stop, we all know they should, but 100%, not 99.9%, of Thai drivers will not stop to let anyone cross the road, they will not deliberately run them down, although that's the impression you get, but put one foot on the road at a crossing, and there is no chance of any Thai driver stopping.

Also, no one has any right to stop traffic to allow someone come out from a side road or an entrance to anywhere, security guard or not, they should wait until the road is clear.

Your not quite right with 100 percent, I would say about 99 percent as I've had a couple stop for me but I am still wary of the clowns behind them.  I've learnt a new trick now, but only at the supermarkets.  I push my trolley in front of me and most tend to stop but when it appears they won't I just push on the trolley and let it roll in front of their car.  They stop but to date no one has said anything although I do get some dirty looks.  I also find that most of the offenders are females.:wai:

7 hours ago, jesimps said:

Doesn't matter if it's a policeman or not, if there're people on the crossing or waiting to cross, then the cars should stop.

That's not universally true.  It even varies state by state in the USA.  In some states, zebra crossings only mean that it's legal to cross there when it's safe to do so- there is no implied right of way for the pedestrians.  In other states, cars have to stop for anyone that's in the zebra crossing.   Varies by country, too.

5 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Your not quite right with 100 percent, I would say about 99 percent as I've had a couple stop for me but I am still wary of the clowns behind them.  I've learnt a new trick now, but only at the supermarkets.  I push my trolley in front of me and most tend to stop but when it appears they won't I just push on the trolley and let it roll in front of their car.  They stop but to date no one has said anything although I do get some dirty looks.  I also find that most of the offenders are females.:wai:

When you say you had a couple stop for you, were you already on the crossing? In the UK, and probably other western countries, when you want to use a Zebra crossing, you are supposed to put your foot on the road on the crossing, that is to give any approaching vehicles time to stop, then when they stop, you cross the road. Try that in Thailand, and how many vehicles will actually stop for you? If the road is really busy and the traffic are moving very slowly, they may stop and let you across. But put your foot on the crossing, and wait, no Thai driver is going to slow down and stop, and let you cross if they are driving say near the speed limit.

20 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

You don't steal trolleys from the supermarket do you?:shock1:

54 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry to disagree but what he said was that due to the policemen having a raincoat over his uniform he is not identifiable as a policeman and thus Fruitman will not stop. What I said is that the clothing of the policeman is irrelevant as according to law vehicles must stop for people in zebra crossings. The fact that they don't stop is also irrelevant in the argument as they should according to law. We all know they don't but we also know this is wrong and is dangerous. Fruitman however seems to believe like you that no one may stop you at a zebra crossing and that you as the driver has right of way. In this regard you are also wrong as a policeman have the right to stop any vehicle on any part of a public road and you are further wrong by saying vehicles have the right of way at zebra crossings. I think it is time for you to rewrite your DL.

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When you say you had a couple stop for you, were you already on the crossing? In the UK, and probably other western countries, when you want to use a Zebra crossing, you are supposed to put your foot on the road on the crossing, that is to give any approaching vehicles time to stop, then when they stop, you cross the road. Try that in Thailand, and how many vehicles will actually stop for you? If the road is really busy and the traffic are moving very slowly, they may stop and let you across. But put your foot on the crossing, and wait, no Thai driver is going to slow down and stop, and let you cross if they are driving say near the speed limit.

Yes but remained close to the gutter until they actually stop.  I am also wary of the m/c's who undertake and overtake stationary vehicles, cars from behind who do the same thing and vehicles approaching from the opposite direction.  What you are supposed to do in other countries does not apply here, I'd rather be a few minutes later than dead on time.  Agreed with you last comment about them driving at or near the speed limit, I wouldn't even attempt that.:wai:  

43 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's not universally true.  It even varies state by state in the USA.  In some states, zebra crossings only mean that it's legal to cross there when it's safe to do so- there is no implied right of way for the pedestrians.  In other states, cars have to stop for anyone that's in the zebra crossing.   Varies by country, too.

I've heard this before, so I suppose it must be correct. But I do not understand these states where cars have right of way. It seems to suggest that if no cars are coming but there is no zebra crossing, it is illegal for pedestrians to cross the road. 

If if it IS legal to cross the road where there is no zebra crossing, but at zebra crossings you still have to give way to cars, then what on earth is the point of them?

4 minutes ago, exalll said:

I've heard this before, so I suppose it must be correct. But I do not understand these states where cars have right of way. It seems to suggest that if no cars are coming but there is no zebra crossing, it is illegal for pedestrians to cross the road.

There are a lot of places -especially in cities- where it is illegal to cross the road in the middle of a block.  You'll get ticketed for jaywalking if you do  (I just got a warning).  There are other places where blind curves make it unsafe to cross- and they put zebra crossings where it is safe.  

But the zebra crossing don't convey right of way.  They just show where it's legal to cross.  

In Southern California, they do convey right of way.  So it's not universal.

44 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Sorry to disagree but what he said was that due to the policemen having a raincoat over his uniform he is not identifiable as a policeman and thus Fruitman will not stop. What I said is that the clothing of the policeman is irrelevant as according to law vehicles must stop for people in zebra crossings. The fact that they don't stop is also irrelevant in the argument as they should according to law. We all know they don't but we also know this is wrong and is dangerous. Fruitman however seems to believe like you that no one may stop you at a zebra crossing and that you as the driver has right of way. In this regard you are also wrong as a policeman have the right to stop any vehicle on any part of a public road and you are further wrong by saying vehicles have the right of way at zebra crossings. I think it is time for you to rewrite your DL.

Did I say vehicles had the right of way at Zebra crossings?? Never, a pedestrian has the right of way as soon as he/she/LB/ steps on the road. I did say that nobody, ie a security guard, has any right to stop traffic to let any vehicle out, I meant from a shopping centre or side street. I am not referring to a zebra crossing here.

9 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I have always found that Thai drivers speed up when they see you on a zebra crossing. I have asked many Thais what they are for in the road and they believe they are for crossing when there are no cars coming. So you see the mentality.

You would have thought they would learn this at the driving test but having done this a few times here you soon realize that these are not taken seriously and people play on their phones, fall asleep and generally don't care. you pay your money and get your license, so nothing will change until the testing changes.

well well no surprise.....when i did my thai drivers license and failed the first time ( many rules here are very different from back home unlogic not self explaining ) so i asked the cousins uncles and other relatives of my thai wife ( all of them have big cars and  no beginners ) for answers and asking five or six questions I got several even opposing options from them..example  cousin answer 1 uncle same question answer 2 no than change to 3 calling in some friends and some interesting discousins started...it was a fun afternoon for them mostly because nobody really had a clue and the family falang thought and demandet that only one ,the right answer ,will be accepted......all great people seldom have accidents...nobody would do anything like on this video...finally i found the right answers on the internet studying the thai traffic law on government website and passed my test..problem now versus before i try to keep up with the law which unfortunately already led  up to some real dangerous situations....now i understand the saying same same but different

I saw U-Turn Bridge the other day , slow lane to slow lane, was somewhere between Don Muang and Ayutthaya. Ayutthaya administrators put concrete blocks at dangerous U Turn spots. Mind you any U turn on a road fast lane to fast lane is asking for trouble

11 minutes ago, free123 said:

well well no surprise.....when i did my thai drivers license and failed the first time ( many rules here are very different from back home unlogic not self explaining ) so i asked the cousins uncles and other relatives of my thai wife ( all of them have big cars and  no beginners ) for answers and asking five or six questions I got several even opposing options from them..example  cousin answer 1 uncle same question answer 2 no than change to 3 calling in some friends and some interesting discousins started...it was a fun afternoon for them mostly because nobody really had a clue and the family falang thought and demandet that only one ,the right answer ,will be accepted......all great people seldom have accidents...nobody would do anything like on this video...finally i found the right answers on the internet studying the thai traffic law on government website and passed my test..problem now versus before i try to keep up with the law which unfortunately already led  up to some real dangerous situations....now i understand the saying same same but different

Speeding up when something may delay you is an Asian thing . Have you ever seen Chinese people at an airport

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

He doesn't look like a cop AT ALL...he should also give clear handsigns or show a trafficsign to the cars to stop.

He doesn't even have the text POLICE on his coat. And since when is the police wearing orange?

Also a zebra means nothing at all in BKK, nobody stops for them so since when do we have to stop at a zebra?? 

It's a bit difficult to take you seriously. You sound nearly incoherent with your reasoning being so completely out to lunch!
Lots of people don't wear motorcycle helmets either, so that makes it ok and we shouldn't bother wearing one? Since that reasoning applies in your mind to zebra crossings, I could find endless other examples of pure stupidity for you to follow if you like. Yes, you can follow the crowd of imbeciles if you like, but I prefer to follow common sense, the law, and general decency.
It's quite clear that you should stop for someone in a marked crossing whether they are a policeman or not! Even if you don't like the color of his raincoat, his hand-signs (or slap on your windscreen), or lack of a traffic sign. Do they need to point a gun at you to get you to stop!? I honestly hope you don't drive and don't have a license either! With your attitude you're likely to kill somebody someday and at the least will cause more tension than needs be on the roads.
By the way, your Superman like vision is pretty amazing to be able to tell if his raincoat uniform doesn't have the text "POLICE" on it or not. With the quality and angle of the video, it is nearly impossible to tell. But, I believe he was wearing a proper raincoat that was also marked properly. Not to mention his very obvious police helmet, and a bit less obvious pants and boots. Look again at the video. There is a marking on his upper left chest. I believe that is the insignia of the Royal Thai Police (As seen on some raincoats of pics I posted here. And some of them also have the name of the police department they belong to on the left chest.). And there is a larger marking on the back that you can glimpse briefly as he is spun around upon being hit by the car. I believe that is also a police marking. But I could be wrong since according to you, who apparently knows all about Thai police uniforms, Thai police don't even wear orange raincoats! So I guess the guys in the pics below must be a bunch of imposters. They don't look like police at all!
I have other things to say to the likes of you, but I prefer to keep posting privileges....

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg