Bangkok prepares for possible inundation

webfact

Bangkok prepares for possible inundation

BANGKOK, 17 January 2017 (NNT) - Bangkok Governor Pol Gen Asawin Kwanmuang has instructed relevant units in the capital to be ready for possible flooding. 

The governor and officials from the Department of Drainage and Sewerage inspected the drainage system on Ratchadaphisek Road in preparation for the next round of downpours. 

Ratchaphisek Road is notorious for heavy congestion and it usually takes up to three hours to drain the water from the road on a rainy day. An additional drainage pipe will be laid underneath the road surface in front of Night Bazar to speed up the draining process. 

The Department of Drainage and Sewerage and 50 district offices in Bangkok have been told to monitor the rain and follow the flood prevention plan which involves lowering water levels in the canals and setting up water pumps in risk zones. 

In case of flooding on the roads, the plan requires officials to drain the water within one hour. They are also expected to update Bangkok residents continuously of the situation. In addition, the governor claimed the construction of a flood tunnel under Khlong Bang Sue will be completed within April as planned.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-17

3 hours ago, thedemon said:

Anyone know where Khlong Bang Sue is located in Bangkok? I can't find it.

It ends at the Chao Phraya in Nonthaburi but following it back on a map it then disappears at Tiwanon Road. 

It runs nearly at right angles to Ratchadaphisek Rd, south of Ratchadaphisek MRT station, and south of Chatuchak Market to the West. Zoom in here: https://goo.gl/Rw4ByR

11 minutes ago, SneekyPete said:

It runs nearly at right angles to Ratchadaphisek Rd, south of Ratchadaphisek MRT station, and south of Chatuchak Market to the West. Zoom in here: https://goo.gl/Rw4ByR

Thanks a lot. I must have driven over that Khlong hundreds of times but never knew it's name.

What had me confused is that there is another Khlong with the same name in Nonthaburi

Here: https://www.google.co.th/maps/@13.8579795,100.495963,15.82z?hl=en&authuser=0

19 hours ago, thedemon said:

Anyone know where Khlong Bang Sue is located in Bangkok? I can't find it.

It ends at the Chao Phraya in Nonthaburi but following it back on a map it then disappears at Tiwanon Road. 

Is there a clue in the name?

Never seems to flood on the west side of BKk, that's because they did not fill in most of the klongs, lakes and fish farms and then cover everything with concrete. The roads and drains are still inadequate of course, but I never saw major floods there.