Minivans must follow 20 point checklist in new "get tough" regulations

webfact

Hopefully drivers won't be completing the checklists while speeding down the road? It will be harder to complete the current level of Cookie Run.

And what's up with the GPS thing? Is that so they can find the wreckage?

Edited by mtls2005

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Hopefully drivers won't be completing the checklists while speeding down the road?

And what's up with the GPS thing? Is that so they can find the wreckage?

You got it first guess.

8 hours ago, Perdanmark said:

It is not only the vans, but it is primarily the drivers that is causing the accident,

the minivan drivers generally lack respect for the law and lives of other thai People ,

as such they have no respect for Thailand ,

and I have never seen the authorities enforce the concekvences on Theese driver, for bringing other People's lives in danger, and giving Thailand a bad reputation,

the drivers should be stopped if they Brake the law and endanger the lives of People,

up to the police to enforce the law.

The first step should be for the employer to respect the drivers and stop forcing them to make it to the destination at a time earlier than is possible within the law and within safe limits, the poor drivers are only trying to keep their jobs.

It is not only the vans but primarily the drivers that is causing the  accidents.

Minivan drivers generally lack respect for the law and lives of other thai People ,

as such they have no respect for Thailand ,

I have never seen the authorities enforce the concekvences on Theese drivers, for bringing other People's lives in danger, and giving Thailand a bad reputation,

the drivers should be stopped if they Brake the law and endanger the lives of People,

up to the police to enforce the law.

As we all know, the driver is responsible the moment he takes control of the car, Don feel Sorry for Them.

1 minute ago, Jim walker said:

And the drivers will still be as bright as a 1 watt light bulb no intelligent test or medical examinations for them lowcow and Yabba addicts still accepted no problem and no worries.

The grammar and punctuation within your post could be said to suggest a certain degree of irony in your statement.

We(the passengers)can help make a difference,keep your smartphone handy and when the driver is

neglecting the traffic rules record and report him.

Just the fact he is being recorded may make him a little more careful.

Maybe all of the male drivers should be exchanged for female drivers?

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

One way that the message will get thru is to mandate huge compensations for death

and injuries caused by either driver negligent of the vehicle faults,

unlike now, that victims gets peanuts for pain and sufferings,

when the van owners will know that it is their pocket going to be hit big time

they will make sure that vans and drivers will up to par.....

The problem is: often the drivers are not the owners, but only a low salaried driver under pressure of a extremely challenging time schedule.

I bet, the real culprits: the owners neglecting maintenance to save a few baht (same with coaches, trucks, cranes,...) will get away with it again and the weakest link in the chain is punished. Jau Por owning the van fleets are always connected...

On 2017/1/17 at 3:26 PM, colinneil said:

Make as many new laws as you want.

Implementing them as another thing.

Until all the corrupt officials have been booted out nothing will change.

I don't quite understand when you said "Until all the corrupt officials have been booted out nothing will change",   the whole country is corrupted so you mean boot out the whole country? Then who is going to do the work? It puzzles mean quite a bit.

"Don't follow me corruption is my lifestyle"-   if you wear a T-shirt with these words printed on in Thailand would it sells well?

14 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

If the vehicles do not pass the 20 point checklist (assuming checks are occasionally carried out) , what happens?, They will be sent off to buy new tyres, inflate tyres etc etc. Why not a 10,000baht minimum fine for each item that fails the check Make the driver initially responsible for the vehicle he drives. then follow up with the vehicle owner.

Sensible idea. Trouble is, as others have already pointed out, the laws are never enforced. And the 10,000 can quickly turn into 2,000 in  the BiB's back pocket....:thumbsup:

I hope they can enforce the new regulations and lower the amount of accidents as preventive measures always help.

Meantime , whenever I hear about or learn there are some new Rules or Regulations or Laws to be brought into effect and or enforced, I do not know why exactly, but I immediately think of Corruption, "wide spread corruption", "bribes and extortion" and "Pay or else scenarios" and "Can I just pay here and now, scenarios " and "Negotiating to pay less scenarios " and "I have contacts" and the whole gamut of good intentions run amuck and corrupted ways that always evolves into a wide variety of what is considered corrupt practices which more or less defeats the original agenda and the efforts to correct a problem which commonly is not corrected and becomes worse in some aspects.

Why is it, these things come to mind....lol

Cheers

10 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Sensible idea. Trouble is, as others have already pointed out, the laws are never enforced. And the 10,000 can quickly turn into 2,000 in  the BiB's back pocket....:thumbsup:

What (or who) can enforce it are the passengers. If the van is stopped, they can watch what happens, and if in doubt, ask. If not satisfied, report. This isn't a situation where the drivers outnumber the passengers, but vice versa, and it's their lives that are being bartered with.

Will this truly be addressed? I sort of doubt it. Why? The government has shown an extraordinary degree of indifference toward traffic safety.

Traffic safety needs to be addressed and improved here, in a dramatic and drastic manner. This will not happen. And the question is why it will not happen. And the answer is complete and total apathy on the part of the government, and the police. Nobody cares. Sure, they jabber alot after some horrific accidents. But, will they do anything? Do they ever do anything? No. They are not serious about this problem, at all. More jawboning, from the master himself. If he was serious about protecting his people, he would have done it from day one. The RTP are not interested in traffic safety, and the government has no interest in public safety. And the carnage continues, and Thailand continues it's place as number two in the world (after war torn Libya) for road deaths per capita. At least they are number two in something! There are a hundred things that could be done to protect the people, and prevent more accidents. Start with law enforcement, and the enforcing of laws that are already on the books. Serious fines for speeding, impounding of vehicles, with serious fines for drunk driving, long prison terms for manslaughter, caused by drivers who carelessly mow people down, regardless of how influential or connected, or wealthy they are. Incease the penalties severely for fleeing the scene of an accident. I do not think there is currently any penalty for that. And how about a really novel idea? Have the highway police actually patrol the highway, instead of playing cards in the office. The only time I ever see them is after an accident. There is a concept known as a deterrent, which is virtually unknown in this country.

You make obnoxious behavior, dangerous behavior, and careless driving on the highways punishable, and people will think twice about doing it. Every single time I am on the highways I see people doing things they would never even consider doing in California, as the consequences are simply too high. Here they know they can get away with almost anything.

They know Little P. and the highway police are not serious people. And he and his people bear total, and absolute responsibility for the continued carnage. It rests squarely on his very small shoulders. 

15 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

What (or who) can enforce it are the passengers. If the van is stopped, they can watch what happens, and if in doubt, ask. If not satisfied, report. This isn't a situation where the drivers outnumber the passengers, but vice versa, and it's their lives that are being bartered with.

A very fine sentiment, but it doesn't work like that here. It is rare anyone speaks up, "jai yen" is the norm.

Good news indeed.  Only problem is a van need a driver. How can they make sure the driver is not influenced by drugs or alcohol, how are they going to test his driving skills.   I would be more concerned about the driver than the checklist for the van . 

again check n check the vehicles but no checks on the human driving it..

all the checks needed is a 5 hour in driving school followed by a certificate. Just today a friend just got his driving license in Thailand n he was telling me how easy it was to get it.

On 1/18/2017 at 4:09 AM, webfact said:

The 20 point roadworthiness checklist includes the following, said Thai Rath: brakes, tires, wheels, seat belts, doors, fire extinguishers and escape hammers. These rules will apply from this month.

Is this a new "initiative"? Traffic authorities are becoming "strict, serious and sure" now? I think it's brilliant that authorities have decided to ensure minivans have brakes, tyres, wheels seat belts and doors - modern innovations that they are.

Two aspects concern me: 1. That "tough new regulations" is code for "fatter brown envelopes" and that drivers could be as drunk as skunks or high on amphetamines but, apparently, no "tough" new regulations seem to apply in that area. God help the poor traveller.